Author Topic: A favorite of mine...Gef the talking mongoose.  (Read 3927 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
A favorite of mine...Gef the talking mongoose.
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
In September 1931,[1] the Irving family — James, Margaret, and daughter Voirrey (13), claimed to hear strange animal noises from the attic of their farm house. Within a few days of the first disturbances, they claimed the animal began to speak.

At first, the animal supposedly simply repeated words said by the Irvings, but eventually he was said to have become quite a fluent speaker.[2] He later told the Irvings that his name was Gef and that he had been born in New Delhi, India on June 7, 1852[3] (apparently not explaining how he came to the Island). Gef remained friendly towards the Irvings, and joked around with them, though he supposedly went too far one time when he pretended to be poisoned. Gef supposedly bothered the Irvings' neighbors, spying on them and reporting back to the Irvings. Gef was also known as 'The Dalby Spook.' James Irving kept diaries about Gef between 1932 and 1935, these diaries, along with reports about the case, are in Harry Price's archives in Senate House Library[4].

The story became popular in the tabloid press, and many journalists flocked to the Isle to catch a glimpse of the creature.[5] In 1935, paranormal investigator Harry Price arrived on the island to research Gef,[6] but failed to find Gef. He apparently determined, however, that a collection of hairs from Gef had actually come from the Irvings' pet dog.[7][8]

An article about the case in The Listener led to a successful slander case against Sir Cecil Levita by the editor Richard S. "Rex" Lambert about whether he was fit to sit on the board of the British Film Institute.[9]

The Irvings left their home in 1937. Ten years later, the farmer who had bought their land shot a mongoose, which is believed by some to have been Gef.

[edit] Theories and skepticism

The story was widespread throughout Britain in the early 1930's due to extensive press coverage, but apparently no one other than the Irvings ever claimed to have heard Gef speak, or even saw him (though some neighbors claimed to have heard "strange noises" outside their homes).

The only physical evidence cited in support of Gef's existence would appear to be a strange series of footprints,[10] some of which were identified as those of a dog or raccoon. Photos said to be of Gef have been presented, [11] Some paranormalists believe Gef to have been a poltergeist [12]

According to some accounts, a neighbouring farmer who was attempting to curb Man's rabbit population had introduced a number of mongooses in 1912,[13] and it has been suggested that Gef may have been either of these or one of their offspring. [14]

Harry Price co-authored a book about his experiences with R.L. Lambert, then editor of The Listener magazine called The Haunting of Cashen's Gap,[15] though much of the book is made up of James Irving's journals. Price later returned to the subject of Gef in his autobiography Confessions of a Ghost Hunter. Records of Price's investigation are available in his archives, which are held by Senate House Library, University of London.[16]. The case was also investigated by researcher Nandor Fodor, who made several visits to Cashen's Gap without either seeing or hearing Gef.

Voirrey Irving, who took Gef under her wing, is at the time of writing still alive and living in the South West of England.

[edit] References

1. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 419.
   2. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 421.
   3. ^ The family never actually saw Gef, but the daughter claimed to have caught a glipse of him one day saying that he looked like a mongoose.Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 422.
   4. ^ archive catalogue entry for Gef and the Irvings
   5. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 419–420.
   6. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 424.
   7. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 427.
   8. ^ Hair samples taken by Price and kept with his records
   9. ^ The BBC under pressure
  10. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, pages 424-425.
  11. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, Gef photo on page 419.
  12. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989
  13. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989, page 426.
  14. ^ Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, 1989
  15. ^ The Haunting of Cashen's Gap: A Modern "Miracle" Investigated by Harry Price and R.S. Lambert, Methuen & Co. Ltd., hardback, 1936.
  16. ^ University of London archives catalogue

[edit] Further reading

* The Haunting of Cashen's Gap: A Modern "Miracle" Investigated by Harry Price and R.S. Lambert, Methuen & Co. Ltd., hardback, 1936.
    * Out of this World, Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time, edited by Peter Brookesmith, 1989, pages 419-427. ISBN 0-356-17959-1
    * Harry Price - The Psychic Detective by Richard Morris, Sutton., Hardback 2006.

[

Colin Wilson researched this thourghly for his book Polteigist.  He came to the belief that was exactly what Gef was.

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
Re: A favorite of mine...Gef the talking mongoose.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
Ha!  What a hoot!  A talking mongoose snooping on neighbours and reporting back what they're up to.   I wonder how a poltergeist would manage that, tough.   An intriguing tale. 

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
And from the Isle of Man, a very haunted Island I have been told!

Offline Merrick

• Paranormal Guru
  • Senior Contributor
  • Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »
How cute lol!!!

I have relatives in the isle of man!  I used to go to the TT races every year!  Only mentioned the isle of man today at the linen party too!

So many syncronicities atm!  So strange! I've had so many references to the old country today and to top it off nicely two of my best school friends have contacted me today too!

How strange!!

Merrick  ;D
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
By far the most usual way of handling phenomena so novel that they would make for a serious rearrangement of our preconceptions is to ignore them altogether, or to abuse those who bear witness to them.

Prof. William James

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
What's the TT races Merrick?   (I hope this isn't so obvious that I should know  :D)  Um, Top Ten, Tinsel Town, Trick or Treat, Telly Tubbies........ rofl.   

Its always amazing to catch up with old school friends.  I find that I still think of them as the last time I saw them - just as kids.   Then reality dawns and it turns out everyone has a few creases in their face, and a couple of grey hairs.   

Offline Merrick

• Paranormal Guru
  • Senior Contributor
  • Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
Close but no cigar *Giggles*!!!  TT stands for tourist trophy, it is a motorcycle rally!!

Here you go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT

I did tell you I used to be a rev head?!!!

Merrick  ;D
By far the most usual way of handling phenomena so novel that they would make for a serious rearrangement of our preconceptions is to ignore them altogether, or to abuse those who bear witness to them.

Prof. William James

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for the link.  Sounds like it would be a hoot.   

Offline Merrick

• Paranormal Guru
  • Senior Contributor
  • Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:48:44 PM »
Well what a strange night this has turned out to be!  Yet another school friend has emailed me to get in touch with them! 

To top it off as I was saying goodnight to Andrew the tv ariel unplugged itself and went for a fly around the room! Then I've come out here to the computer to find my daughter on here when something was thrown at her.

Some is really trying to get my attention! I'm at a loss at the moment!

What to do, what to do?!

Merrick  ;D

Prof. William James

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy