Author Topic: things that go bump in the night!  (Read 3090 times)

Agent J

things that go bump in the night!
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »
hi guys,
          I live in a fairly old house in geelong west, lately when i go to bed im hearing loud cracks and bangs in my kitchen, at first i thought i was my fridge compressor kicking in but after recording about 2 hours or so with a video camera the sounds seem to come from all around the room, some are close to the camera and some further away.(there is no strange footage that i have noticed).
has anybody else had a similar experience or is it a common thing?
thanks

Offline Danny

• Inductee
Re: things that go bump in the night!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:16:26 PM »
Hi Agent J

I don't know what your house is constructed from but I know that wooden floor boards particularly do tend to creak and crack a lot from changes in temperature, moisture etc and they can be pretty noisy at times, also roof beams can do the same thing, this might explain why it comes from different areas of the room.

Just my thoughts.

Agent J

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:34 PM »
thanks for replying so quickly. I took that into consideration because i have wood floors when deciding to film it, and came to the conclusion of, why only in the kitchen? why when i go to bed? I took the footage 2 nights ago and the noises were in full force but last night i didnt film as a little test and there was complete silence. im kinda thinking that what ever it is it didnt like being filmed.
Im actually thinking of trying an evp soon.

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
perhaps they ONLY perform now when they are on film?  :)

Is it an old house?  Have you heard these cracks and creaks for a long time or are they recent?  Is it a single story house?

Do the evp in the kitchen and in the bathroom.  Pipes can have that effect and esp. the hot water pipes. Also, check to see where the hot water tank is.

I know these things are boring (and you may have thought of them already) but once the mundane is eliminated things become much more interesting :)

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Agent J

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:59 AM »
Hi Gary, I live in a ground level house in geelong west Vic, i reckon it's about 80 to 100 years old or so. im willing to try anything at the moment (providing it's safe) to find out what it is.
if i get any good evidence i'll be sure to post it.
is there anything else i should try or watch out for?
thanks

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 12:37:44 AM »
Unless you get any particularly bad feelings about the house then it's either 'natural causes' or benign goings on (e.g. nice spirits lol). 

I spent a week in a friends holiday home in Sydney.  Thru the day it was beautiful.  At night the place was alive with noise and I dont mean the occasional clunks.  It was LOUD and there was a continuous chopping noise.  I'd go out side and it was silent but inside ...... I don't know to this day whether it was haunted or just subject to night-settling.  Maybe possums were tap dancing on the roof in clogs lol.  That's what it sounded like.

But in your case, just keep investigating.

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Agent J

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:48:24 AM »
I moved here from Darwin NT in march this year and from the first day we (me and the missus) moved in i have sensed something not normal or uncomfortable here. I don't know what it is but it's something i just cant put my finger on.
I'll just keep doing my research.
cheers

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:42:18 AM »
Agent J, try asking permission to film them and then just leave the camera there on its own.  I would also try it several times at different days of the week etc, get a good overall idea!

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy