Author Topic: The Old York Hospital  (Read 13136 times)

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« on: October 03, 2006, 11:18:29 PM »
I hope I'm not reiterating a tired subject here, but I've been completely fascinated by the old York Hospital in W.A. since I saw a documentary on it waaay back in 1987. It was a proper working hospital up until the '60's, when it was closed down and revamped into a tourist hostel in the early '70's. Basically I'm regurgitating a magazine article written about it in the early '80's, but apparently a woman from Perth, her husband and their charges stayed there for a few days, and fled in terror soon after. I think I've read all the info I can get my hands on via the internet (I've had a look at the AGHS site-very informative, plus it lists the original magazine article and the author), and I also e-mailed the York council to ask them for any info they might have. They said they knew of it's "residents", and they said it was now a private dwelling after being sold (again) in 2004. If anyone has any further info they can give me, I'd really appreciate it. Plus, if anyone has a copy of the documentary Haunted which was screened by channel 10 in 1987, I would very nearly kill to get a copy of it. Anyone heard of, or remember it?
s all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
I have heard of it, it rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind.

Don't know where you could get a copy though. You never know though, someone might read this and have it.
Christine
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:31:56 PM »
Cheers, Christine- it's been plaguing me for years, and even though I've read about the place many times before, it still gives me The Creeps, big time. If you google "the old York Hospital", you'll get at least two entries for it - that could tell you about the place more intelligently than I could. It's worth a read, definitely. I could try getting in touch with channel 10 about the doco-but the odds of them having it (let alone giving me a copy) after all these years is pretty slim. If the other Forumites could give me any info, I'd be very grateful. And scared. Grateful and scared.  :)

~Michelle~

The Old York Hospital
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:02:19 AM »
I remember the show you are talking about. It was, to say the least very interesting.

"from Lionel Curling, Melbourne Australia This is a photo of a ghost taken at the Old York Hospital, 95 km east of Perth, Western Australia on 1st June 2003.This hospital was closed in 1963 and was just bought privately in 2004. A lot of the local residents have told me the old place is haunted and heard some interesting stories and one night while standing outside the front door I did hear some foot steps just inside the door and there was no one there."

Just a little about it.

~Michelle~

The Old York Hospital
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:05 AM »
Here is some information about what they showed in the documentry. I won't cut and paste its to big.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/yorkhospital.html

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:36:06 AM »
Thank you, Michelle, much appreciated. I'm glad someone else remembers the show - I had it on tape, but I needed to tape over it (probably Miami Vice!), and I've regretted it ever since. Haunted also featured a segment on a haunted derelict ship off the coast of W.A. called the Artemos, or Altemos, something like that, and it was a scary segment, but I've never heard anything about it since. It also featured a house here in Brisbane with a spirit that lived in a tree outside the bedroom window. It was a great Australian doco, with good interviews, and the re-enactments weren't too cheesy, either. A rare beast, indeed-maybe the nice folks at channel 10 could help me out. Thanks for the photo, too - I myself can't see anything in it (after working in one-hour photolabs for 15 years, you tend to dismiss a lot of "ghosts" caught on film as something else). Did you read the article? What do you think? I'd love to go check the place out, but I don't think the new owners ("the Lennons", apparently) would like it. Maybe if we gang up on 'em...

~Michelle~

The Old York Hospital
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:43:50 AM »
I went past the place many years ago and it looked totally derelict. On my previous posts I said i'm a big chicken. I'm now a small chicken, so maybe eventually I will.

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:34:19 AM »
You went past it? Yipes! Did you peek in the windows? Did you get any weird vibes from the place? Didn't hear any screaming? Am I asking too many questions?

~Michelle~

The Old York Hospital
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
Yes We actually stopped at the front. No I didn't look into the window(chicken thing again). Weird vibes is an understatement. So chicken thing and bad vibes I stayed away. No screaming. and YES you ask too many questions. lol. York has many a haunted places. The old courthouse etc. I did go into the courthouse but many people were there. So I didn't feel anything.
I also wen't into the Fremantle Prison But once again didn't get anything. It didn't help that the Prison staff were trying to scare us with sounds etc.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 02:28:47 PM »
Christine that is the video I gave you with the shot sound!  that is why it rang a bell...remember you can see it but not hear it!

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »
OH!!! I WILL HAVE ANOTHER LOOK AT IT (Yay) and see if I can salvage something. HOW EXCITING! I knew someone would know!!
Thanks CE
Christine
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »
I am a gold mine of useless bits and pieces! LMAO!

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 03:47:40 PM »
You guys have video of the hospital? Cool! What's on it? Where'd it come from? Can I see it? Am I asking too many questions again??? Great news!!!  :wink:

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »
Hi,
yes I have a copy of a video from Catseyes. Problem is there is no sound. I will have another look tonight. It is very old. Might be OK fro the York hospital section. I'll let you know.

If it is OK I'll make a dvd and get it to you somehow.
Christine
Douglas Adams

Offline peterblack

• Centurion
The Old York Hospital
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
Cheers, Christine! I phoned channel 10 about an hour ago, and asked them about the doco, Haunted. Since it might be in the archives, I have to write a letter to the programme manager in Sydney about it. They may not have the rights to it anymore, but hopefully they can point me in the right direction. I'm a man on a mission...

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal