Author Topic: Beechworth Gaol Tours  (Read 18806 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Beechworth Gaol Tours
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
If you thought Beechworth was just about an untouched gold rush streetscape, fabulous local produce and boutique shops and accommodation, then think again!!
"Beechworth Gaol Unlocked" reveals Beechworth's less well known history, one that's rich with tales of great escapes, betrayal and even romance - all within the walls of the gaol.
The site has been used as a place of incarceration since 1855, continuing until the closure of HM Beechworth Prison in 2004. The Gaol is now open to the public revealing a time capsule - allowing the buildings to tell their story.

Our costumed prison warder guides will reveal the site's colourful past through a 60 minute walking tour as you...

Take the place of remand prisoners for a welcome tour of the gaol
Get introduced to life in gaol in the 1860-70's
Climb one of the four guard towers and take in the views over the gaol and Beechworth
Visit Ned Kelly's cell
Walk the condemned mans walk and hear about the eight men who dropped to their death on the gallows
View the solitary confinement cells
Hear stories of escapes and escape attempts
Experience the austere confines of the 19th century cell wings
Visit the cell which held Ned Kelly's mother and her 2 day old baby in 1878

Open Wednesday to Sunday from 9.30am until 5.30pm.
Tours run for approximately 1 hour per tour.

Saturday Evening First Tour at 8pm

Experience first hand the eerie silence, the isolation & the extremely harsh conditions that inmates had to endure here.

We'll share some of the unexplained events that have sent chills down the spines of those who have witnessed them since the Gaol re-opened. You'll visit parts of the Gaol not seen on other tours.

Tours Offered are:

1. Gaoler's Tour

2. Kelly Tour

(These tours alternate throughout each day)

3. Night Time lantern Tour

Receive a $5.00 discount when you book for two different tours.

Prices
                                           Day Tour    Night Tour
Adult (17 years and over)    $22.50    $25.00
Concession (Seniors Card)    $20.00    $22.50
Child (4-16 years)    $17.50    $20.00
Child (Under 4 years)    Free    Free
Family (2 Adults & 3 Children)    $75.00    $80.00

http://beechworthgaol.com.au/
For more Information please contact the Beechworth Gaol Unlocked directly on 1300 774 766
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:35:41 PM by Christine »
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Re: Beechworth Gaol Tours
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
This was a very interesting and enjoyable tour.  The tour guides were knowledgeable and very helpful and friendly.  I highly recommend it.

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
me too, great tour

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...
[inspired by Albert Schweitzer]

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
I agree, it was a great tour. The guide was enthusiastic and knowledgable. He answered our questions very well.

The gaol seemed quite active to us with many of the mediums in the group having some sort of experience. The rest of the group enjoyed it immensely.

The gaol is very well presented and the gift shop has an interesting range of gofts and souvenirs including forensic evidence kits and a great book selection.

My only complaint is that I wish I could have stayed longer! lol......the place has a great atmosphere and the guys there deliver a good tour!

Well done!!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »
Beechworth Gaol

Douglas Adams

Offline Lapismoon

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Contributor
  • Archangel Michael is my wingman...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Standing at the gallows at Beechworth Gaol with just our torchlight was eerie. There were many interesting stories about the gaol to hear and our guide was happy to answer our questions and patient with us as we did have lots of questions for him  :D   I think there will be lots more information uncovered as the tour develops and more history comes to light as the gaol has only been open to the public since April this year.     While we were on tour more than one presence was felt and observed while we were on our tour and a few clanks in the night to boot! I would recommend this tour and add that the gift shop was lots of fun with a large range of interesting items, my favourite having to be the evidence kits.   
esprit de I'escalier    [es-pree de less-ka/-iay}
A witty remark that occurs to you too late, literally on the way down the stairs.

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
This tour was an intense experience. The gaol has plenty of historical significance (including relating to the Kelly family) and the 19th century buildings were like a movie set.

Not for the faint-hearted! A sensitive person would shudder at the tragedy here. But the guide's sense of fun and fascination with the place were a bright counterpoint.

Some planned surprises brought a little drama to the night. But my favourite fright also had our guide nearly jump out of his skin! 'Who was that?' he called. Then, craning at the dark, 'No really, who was that?' We still don't know what caused that shocking crash.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
I know, and how loud was that crash! I think he said it was a bin falling over, but I didn't see any bins let alone ones falling over.

CE got same names Edwards (well she thought it was Edwards...I think it was meant to be Edward) and I got a Daniel to go with that name.....I found out, since visiting Glen Rowan on the Sunday that the Kelly brothers were called Edward and Daniel.
Douglas Adams

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:34:31 PM »
Very interesting! Looks like a fascinating building. I've never been to Beechworth, we drove around it a few years back because we plan to go there one day and didn't want to spoil the surprise. :P My husband had family in the area back in the late 1880's so a bit of history hunting to do.

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »
I'd like to go back for another look

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
Does anyone have the group shots?
Douglas Adams

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
I do...want me to post one?

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
Yep!
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »
we will be going back.

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
ok heres one for you....lets play guess who is who for those who havent seen us before..

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal