Author Topic: Ghosts of our Pioneers AVAILABLE NOW!  (Read 55025 times)

Offline MadMatty

• Centurion
    • matthewbarker
Re: Ghosts of our Pioneers AVAILABLE NOW!
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
The concept of an adventurer struggling to fit back in to normal society, in particular Bertram's history, is not hard to believe at all.  When we are exposed to such experiences it is hard to go back.  I have word with former prisoners who have great difficulty fitting back into "normal society".  Goodness - we all know what it's like trying to go back to work just after a holiday! Imagine the extremes of nature and its wilderness, thousands of miles from civilisation!  I really felt for Bertram when reading his story!

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
Me too.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
From the energies I have picked up at Como, it is my belief that he was bi polar.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »
It must have been really awful for him.  Back in those days, I imagine any depression would try to be hidden.  You would be more likely to be put in an asylum.  No wonder he was driven to his end like that.  It would have been unimaginable horror for him.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline MadMatty

• Centurion
    • matthewbarker
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
Having suffered for many years with a mental illness (now recovered) and being trained as a counsellor, I can really empathise and sympathise with anyone who had such an illness back in those times.  Even today, with so much knowledge and research and so many types of treatment available, sufferers of a mental illness often feel alone and frightened.  To have suffered such an illness back in the 1800s when little was known about such things (and people still thought you caught lunacy from the moon) it must have been very frightening for Bertram.  What a horrible, horrible illness to experience at any time let alone then.  I recall those moments of sadness when thinking you are the only person who feels like this, and that it's because of something inherently wrong within yourself!  I hope, above all things, that Bertram found peace.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
I really like Bertram. He seems like a nice man.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I think so too

Offline MadMatty

• Centurion
    • matthewbarker
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Hopefully I'll get to meet him when we visit Como House!

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks so much for your fantastic reply mares. Sorry I have taken so long to reply, but things haven't quite been going to plan for me lately!! Sorted out now I think and hopefully I will be able to spend a little more time on the forum.

As Christine pointed out, there was far more information uncovered from Como due to ghost tours and other visits there. Not all information could be included otherwise I'd still be writing and the book would be twice as big. We now believe the coffin actually belonged to Charles Armytage. There were other things uncovered that does make more and more sense that Bertram died at Como House. I'm considering putting in a 'What we know now' chapter in the follow-up book.

That would be fantastic!!! I'm amazed at just how much Bertram seems to have struck a chord with everyone, myself included. I'm still quite interested in what document it was that mentions Bertrams death at South Yarra. Was it mentioned in the inquest? There really does seem to be more to his story, for sure.

I would really, really love to read a 'what we know now' chapter. How far away is the follow up book? ;) (can you tell I'm keen??!)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
Book 2 is half written.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
YES!!

Offline MadMatty

• Centurion
    • matthewbarker
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
There will be follow ups in it as well.

Mary has also started planning a book on some of the 'darker' aspects of this work.
Douglas Adams

Offline MadMatty

• Centurion
    • matthewbarker
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Oh yes that is going to be sweet!

Offline Lord Daemon

• Demonologist
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
Most of the investigations are darker... we tend not to have the lights on! Boom Boom!
Man will believe the impossible, but never the improbable

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal