Author Topic: My night at Mrytles Plantation St Francisville  (Read 9752 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
My night at Mrytles Plantation St Francisville
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
I am disappointed to tell you the tour was terrible. Really really terrible. I am so disappointed.

I will write a full review tomorrow USA time.....

An absolute sad sad joke.....................
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Re: My night at Mrytles Plantation St Francisville
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
What a pitty.  Did you pick up anything personally?

Offline nick61

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
Sorry to hear Christine. Personally the US is disappointing period.

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
B*gger!

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
The Mrytles is located apx 2 hours drive from New Orleans. We made our way there yhesterday.

We arrived mid afternoon having made a few spirit inspired stops on the way.

We thought we would purchase tickets for the history tour and then the ghost tour which is why we arrived early.

We walked around the outside of the house and took a look. I noticed I saw a man killed on the front verandah in a particular spot on the side of the house. I told Sean and Sara.

On arrival the girl in the ticket sales area said the ghost tour was pretty much the history tour so we may as well just buy one ticket.

We were pleased she potentially saved us money so we did. Sean noticed the door to the house ajar after we bought our tickets so we went in. You are not meant to do that. We walked through the four rooms of the house were able too and took some photos. Thank goodness we did by the way as during the tour they ban you from taking photos!!

We wandered around outside, saw a really sick pond come mini lake and the old caretakers home with a 250 year old cyprus fence.

We decided rather than wait here for hours with nothing to do, as you couldn't inspect the house, we would go for a drive.

Before doing so we went to the bathroom. While in there a lady called Sarah said to me "It was the yellow fever"..........yes the lady was dead.

The whole time I was there I was sick. I had a fever, I was so hot, my mouth felt swollen, I had stomach pains and felt like I needed to go and sit on the toilet. My body felt swollen and puffy.

So we went down to the river and hopped on a car ferry to the other side of the river. We drove around and saw a few things. We also googled the symptoms of yellow fever...It appears I was displaying symptoms.

Nice.

We returned to the house at 6pm for our tour noticing they had them starting at one hour intervals. We figured while one tour was an hour into the tour the next must start as the previous tour would be well away from the start point. There were many many people in the courtyard waiting for the tour. Aprx 50 I would say. We were hoping they would split the group or that some people were early for the next tour. We were aghast when they were ALL for the 6pm tour. Clearly this was no personal nor intimate affair. Sausage Factory Ghost Tours Inc.

This little girl calls everyone for the tour and calls us to come into the foyer/entrance hall. She tells us we can't take pics whereas the website makes no mention of this and staff had told us (and others) that we could except for the foyer. Not happy. First too many people by far for such a small house and second no pictures.

Well she stands on the stairs and informs us she will split the tour into two halves, one for the history which she KNOWS is boring, she says she knows it will be boring because she is 17 years old. That we can feel free to fall asleep if we like she is used to the snoring.

This peeves me. Placing the idea into peoples heads it will be boring is just part of it. Clearly if we were not interested we would not be there!! And then she presents it like it is boring. She does her level best to make us want to beat our heads against a wall to stop the droning, false acting voice she has. At the end of delivering her history part, she says no-one fell asleep and we were to give ourselves a clap. Now I a peeved we are guided by a silly child getting her kicks by working in one of Americas most haunted houses. Why can't we have an adult??
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
That is  bad.  Obviously they just want to get as much cash out of a day as possible. 

What of the slave ghost who was having an affair with the plantation owner who was killed for poisoning his daughters.  Did you see her?

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »
How dreadful! It sounds like such an interesting place.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
I have so much more to write, but we went out today. I will attempt to add more tonight.
Douglas Adams

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
So she then starts talking about the ghosts and she moves us towards a small room. We cram in. She expresses how much she HATES this room. She says she has a HATRED for it. Her and this room have a relationship of HATRED. So now that we've got that out of the way...she hates this room because something happened to her here but she isn't going to tell us about that- no- she is going to tell us someone elses story.

Apparently the plantation had decided to reinact the Chloe story one halloween...

Chloe is allegedly a slave girl who the owner of the house allegedly plucked from his fields to be his Mistress. She was apparently 13 years old. Please note I am adding the allegedlys and apparentlys etc...they are firmly convinced and presenting this story as fact. Anyway Chloe loved to eavesdrop and she loved him and her place in the house....her eavedropping apparently got her into trouble when one night she listened in on the owner and his friends. He allegedly cut off her ear and she was forced to wear a turban for the rest of her days (not very many it would seem) to cover her disfigurement. Anyway, she wanted to get back into the house as he had told her to work int he kitchens from now on. She also wanted to get back in his good graces, she loved him remember.

So she decided as the 2 kids that the owners owned were having a birthday that she would back a cake. She added poisonous oleanader leaf juice, the leaves were too poisonous and she wasn't stupid apparently. So the kids and the wife ate the cake and died within hours so they say. The Judge (husband) was away and was spared. Chloe then fled to her family and friends on the plantation and apparently they brought her back to the house to face the music. Apparently the Judge issued his sentence that night (yes she had said he was away...small technicality I guess) and he said her friends etc were to hang her til dead, from a tree.

So that's the story of Chloe and why she haunts the Mrytles.

SO back to the reinactment.....

An actress meant to play Chloe saw a blue mist traveling towards her in a room she was getting ready in and was spooked. Apparently traumatised. So much so that she will never ever ever ever ever come back to Mrytles again. Too bad considering her sister is the little girl who is leading our tour. And she said she believes her sister. She will never drop her at work etc or come on her tour (she should think herself lucky) ever ever ever...

Everyone moved away from the area of the room that the mist apparently came from...I moved past the crowd and stood int he middle of the empty space to the admiration of the crowd. She must be crazy one said. Another said I think she is a psychic. I note that the room is cold, I also note a airconditoning controller hidden behind a screen and a vent in the same place.

One small question I have is why the plantation hired a white actress to play a slave girl in this drama???? Seems others wonder the same thing lol..

Some people on our tour said they had done the tour 3 times and been told 3 different stories.

More to come.....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:24:51 PM by Christine »
Douglas Adams

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
why would you go back to a terrible tour 3 times....must be slow learners

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...
[inspired by Albert Schweitzer]

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
I would go back for the beauty of the place, Lotsa.  I can find my own ghosts, LOL

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
yeah i guess so..

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...
[inspired by Albert Schweitzer]

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
She then dragged us all into the foyer. She speaks about the haunted mirror. She explains that people used to think that if a mirror is left uncovered that the spirits of the dead would get scared when they arose from their coffin and see themselves in the mirror.

She said they have replaced the glass of the mirror numerous times and yet the mysterious handprints and blood drops seem to reappear in the mirror. Many people have seen these in their photos she says.

You mean the photos you will not let us take? I asked out loud. OK you can take pics of this mirror only.....little did she know we snuck in earlier and took pics...the fun police will be after us I fear.

So people dutifully pull out their cameras and start snapping...flashes and all.....don't they know how to take pics????? clearly not.

Off to the dining room...or that was the plan. I had to properly examine the mirror. So they have replaced the glass numerous times, but the backing is wood. They could put anything they want on that wood and if the stain was dark enough then it will show through the glass.

Here is how mirrors are made: (you may need to familiarise yourself with this when I get up on my soap box- so I put it here for convenience lol)

http://www.mirrorresilvering.com/a_brief_history_of_mirrors.htm

You can even make one at home, notice the bit about gluing plywood to the back...
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/build-a-stylish-mirror-frame-in-7-steps

Info regarding resilvering
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:53:37 PM by Christine »
Douglas Adams

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
I am still wondering how The Judge administered the punishment on Chloew that night when he wasn't there...

In the dining room she explained this was where Chloe poisoned the children and Sarah with the cake....not much else.

We went into the living area, I think also known as the gentlemens parlour perhaps. This room is sort of two rooms that are slightly separated yet adjoin.

She explained William was in here one night tutoring his son and that he was a lawyer. Someone pulled up outside yelling someone wants a lawyer, someone wants a lawyer. William went out and was shot through the chest, on the verandah at the side of the house.He came in through the side door, was greeted by his wife, apparently attempted to get upstairs and died in her arms on the 17th step.

She walks us into the green room, also (I think) known as the French Room which she said she loves, not hates. She then goes to explain the famous Chloe photo......
Douglas Adams

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
The famous Chloe picture: ( I will write more about this when i have more time) You can see the pic here though...
http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm501948.html?t=Hauntings

What I got and my observations.

Firstly Sara appeared to be and told me (while I was in the bathroom as often happens) "It was the yellow fever". She said her name was Sara. I told Sara and Sean straight away that this happened. This was when we went to purchase the tickets in in the afternoon prior to me having any knowledge of the names and circumstances mentioned in the tour.

I assume this is Sarah the lady allegedly poisoned by Chloe as she appeared to me during the tour.

I picked up no dead Chloe, nor any live Chloe.

I picked up no murders of children and Sara eating cake at all whatsoever and I think it would be unlikely I would fail to pick this up.

Furthermore, Sarah came during the tour and said that It was the yellow fever and asked me why they were lying.

The fact she said it the way she did and when she did indictaes to me that it was not murder that saw her demise but this sickness. I might add I FELT the sickness.

I had a fever was sweating profusely and felt sick. to my stomach feeling like I would lose control of my bowels. I felt like my mouth was swollen and fat, both inside and out. We googled yellow fever symptons when in the car and it sounded like the way I was feeling. These feelings came from Sarah although they started well before her appearing to me in the bathroom.

As to why they are lying, I told her it was merely to sell tickets.

I believe they are knowingly spreading this false story to sell tickets na di have nicknamed this place McMyrtles, as they employ teenagers becuase they are cheap and don't give a rats about the crap they serve.

As for William who was shot- well I pointed out to Sean and to Sara when we first walked onto the property having walked around the verandah that a man was shot on the front side of the verandah, the side not on the driveway side.

William confirmed what I said and so did McTeenage Guide, she said he was shot over this particular side of the house. Hpwever, she claims after being shot in the  chest he made his way upstairs to the 17th step at last and died there. Sorry, he didn't. He died on the verandah. I did tell her but she didn't care.

There were inaccuracies I picked up during the tour in what she said, and these appear to have been picked up by others in the tour as well as I heard people speaking about it including the people that pulled me aside asking if I was a pscyhic and what I saw...

Oh oh oh I juist remembered when we were in the lounge/living room area she commented that heaps of psychics had said that this was the psychic centre of the house. That all the energies came through here and that this was where the spirits came through all the time. Like a portal. It MUST be true because heaps of psychics have said it...

Overal a compete and utter waste of money and time as well as truly dissapointing.

I have done some research and I was dismayed to discover (had I done this before I possibly wouldn't have gone all the way to the plantation for the tour)...that these same things I have detected have been widely circulated for some time...

Examples:

I have plenty more but they are book marked on my notebook and I am at a kiosk right now. These are some of them.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/myrtles.html
http://paranormal.about.com/od/hauntedplaces/ig/World-s-Most-Haunted-Place/The-Myrtles-Plantation.htm
http://www.thehauntedinternet.com/myrtles_plantation.html
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/thecoldspot/hauntings/myrtles.html
http://blog.strangenewsdaily.net/2010/09/how-many-ghosts-haunt-myrtles-plantation/

A short video tour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2v0JRRYLdI

Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal