Author Topic: Palais de Versailles France  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Palais de Versailles France
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »
On August 10, 1901, Anne Moberley and Eleanor Jourdain, Principal and Vice Principal of St. Hugh's College, Osfrod, decided to add Versailless to their french vacation. They were particularly keen on seeing the Petit Trianon, a nearby refuge built by Louis XIII.

The gardens of Versailles are extensive, and as the ladies walked, both became increasingly depressed, despite the bright summer weather. They made another wrong turn, and happened upon a sort of gazebo. Miss Moberley saw a woman seated on a chair under the balustrade of the rear terrace, sketching and reading. In Miss Moberley's own words: "She had on a shady white hat, perched on a good deal of fair hair that fluffed around her forehead. Her dress was long waisted, with a good deal of fullness in the skirt...I thought she was a tourist, but that her dress was old-fashioned and rather unusual."

The teachers toured Petit Trianon without further incident.

Finished with Versailles, they took tea at a nearby hotel and returned to Paris.

Eventually Miss Moberley asked her friend, "Do you think the grounds of the Petit Trianon are haunted?" "yes I do" replied Miss Jourdain.

Miss Jourdain inquired of friends whether they had heard stories about ghosts at Petit Trianon. In response, a French friend said that Marie Antoinette could be seen sitting outside the Petit Trianon wearing a light hat and a pink dress, on August 10, the date the royal family was imprisoned after the slaughter of their guards at Tuileries.

Misses Moberly and Jourdain had visited on August 10th, 109 years after this historial event. This convinced Miss Jourdain that her friend had seen the ghost of the doomed Queen, and that they had both seen the ghosts of her companions. Since neither of them  had been familiar with the historical details when they visited in 1901, they concluded they must have entered some sort of time warp that day. In 1911, the ladies published their story in a book entitled An Adventure. It sold 11,000 copies by 1913. We will probably never know from this side of the grave, what the ladies actually saw that dday in 1901- unless of course, someone repeats their experience. In any case, the history, glory, tragedy, and joy of Versailles await you- and perhaps, something more.

http://franceshunter.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/versailles11.jpg

http://www.simplygroups.co.uk/images/Versailles%20&%20statue.jpg
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Palais de Versailles France
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
I love Versailles.  I once did a post somewhere on here, about the flowered archway that is just out front of Marie Antoinette's residence.  I was surprised that the public was, in later times, being prevented from going close to the residence.  When we were there, you could walk right up to it, and stand around at the bottom of the stairs.  The interior of the house was not open to the public though, and it was in the process of being restored inside.

The Petit Trianon is lovely over all, and the gardens are stunning. 

I'm sure that if people don't see ghost there, they could easily imagine some, given the known history of the place in general. 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
I really want to go there. We didn't have time when we went to Paris unfortunately.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:45 AM »
Christine, make sure you allow lots of time, when you go.  (I'm sure you'll visit one day).

There's so much to see within the trianon.  So many beautiful areas in the palace too, and in the gardens - before you even get to Marie Antoinette's area. 

At least leave several hours to do it.  We never rent cars in Paris, the parking is too much of a pain to bother doing.  From memory, we went on a small tour bus, about 8 people.  It picked us up where we were staying, not far from Le Louvre. 

Once we were at the Palace, we did not have to stay with the group so it was fine.  (We are not into group tours, really, and prefer to do our own thing).  The advantage of taking the little tour bus, was that it got us there quickly (small enough to scoot around through the side streets), and simply picked us up at a designated time a few hours later, near the main gate. 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
We were going to catch the train. One day.....
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
I will wait till they bring it over here

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:34:09 PM »
That would be okay.  You could spend as much time as you want.  Not sure where the station is, or whether you can go there direct from Paris on the Metro.  Probably. 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
Apparently there is a station closeby.
Douglas Adams

Offline Dr Baku

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
It is a truly astonishing place, I happened to be there when due to a special anniversary all the fountains were operational, what a spectacular display. 
I was pondering the expression 'revenge is a dish best served cold'. Then I considered that 'revenge is sweet'. I now have come to the conclusion that revenge is ice cream.

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »
Wow, that would have been beautiful Dr. B.  The small one in the courtyard was working when we were there, but I don't recall seeing the others further down turned on - the ones in the topiary promenade.  The small one was surrounded by flower gardens, it was just spectacular.  Cottage garden-type flowers.   

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy