Author Topic: Holyroodhouse Scotland  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Holyroodhouse Scotland
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »
If ever a place was the focus of Scots national history over the past five decades, Her Majesty's Palace of Holyrood is it. As with the country itself, the story of the place is one of tragedy broken up by occasional, all to brief bouts of merriment.

In 1501 James IV built a palace adjoining the abbey for himself and his bride Margaret Tudor (the sister of Henry VIII). His son James V, made extensive renovations between 1528 and 1536. The result was a luxurious residence, fit for his new wife, Madelaine, daughter of King Francois I of France. Unhappily, her life as Queen was short. In need of an heir, James married Mary of Guise, and had her crowned queen in Holyrood Abbey. James himself died just after the birth of his only child- a daughter. This daughter grew up to be Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1587), a tragic fgure of ever there was one.

events surrounding the tragic life of Mary Queen of Scots are perhaps the most poignant.

The Queens Audience Chamber, where Mary received her guests, sometimes features a "gray lady". She stands near one of he staircases, looking rather indistinct; the features of her face are never visible. In any case, royal employees often encounter the gray lady when the court uses this wing as office space during Queen Elizabeth II's  annual sojourn in the scots capital. the other particularly haunted place in the palace is the Long Gallery, with its paintings of Scots' Kings.

Invisible footsteps are heard here by staff and visitors, but at least on one occasion, a ghost was seen.

A window cleaner was doing his job on the exterior of the gallery one autumn day lowered the top half of the window he was washing, only to see the bearded face of a man in a Renaissance-era white ruff collar and black coat staring back at him. The cleaner quickly sped down the ladder and back to his car. He did not regret forfeiting his contract with the palace.

Edinburgh's palace is a fascinating place, to be sure. To walk its floors puts the visitor into an almost tangible relatonship with those who paced them before.

Holyroodhouse offers compelling testimony that while human glory does not last, the consequences of trying to attain it very well might.

http://www.stefanomolinari.com/modules/coppermine/albums/ScotlandEdinburgh2007/PalaceHolyroodHouse/PalaceHolyroodHouse%20(00).jpg

http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk/pictures/edinburgh/holyrood_palace_05.jpg

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
Re: Holyroodhouse Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:14:49 AM »
I wish I could stay longer in Scotland; went to the castle where Robert the Bruce held sway and the place (while fasinating) gave me the creeps.

A side note; I could have stayed in Scotland for a much longer period if I planned having kids in the future lol.

Light, Love and wisdom

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:16:27 AM »
Holyrood is the place that some of your stones came from Christine, when we did the psychometry after my trip over there, a couple of years ago.  I recall picking up some stones in the old abbey next to it too, around the ancient gravesites.   

Nice old building.  I recall CE picking up some relevant info, regarding the little room that Mary occupied.  It's a strange little room at the top of a very narrow winding staircase.   

Members of the royal family, including the Queen, still use parts of Hollyrood at times. 

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
I remember that Salty.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »
I remember that too!

This is definately on my MUST SEE places list.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal