Author Topic: Chateau De Brissac, France  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Chateau De Brissac, France
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
Visitors to Brissac, in Anjou, are always struck by the fairytale appearance of the town's chateau. One could well imagine sleeping beaty  or some other story set here. It is a magical place, still in the hands of one family after many centuries, and renowned for its haunting by la Dame Verte, or the "Green Lady".

In republican France, the current Duke of Brissac and his family, although no longer playing a governmental role, are social lions- they are pillars of the aristocratic Jockey Club de Paris, and the Duke is master of the Fountainbleau Hunt. But they also retain the chateau whose name gave the family its title. Brissac is open for tours. Annually, the chateaus gilded theatre plays host to the annual Val de Loire festival.

Although Brissa and its current owners are firmly rooted in the present, they cannot escape the past- anymore than anyone else can. One tenant survived the changes of ownership and the destruction wrought by Huguenots and Jacobins. She is an apparition called la Dame Verte (or the Green Lady), who walks in the tower of the chapel. Wearing the dress she is named for, and with the face of a corpse, this ghastly revenant is believed to be the murdered Charlotte de France. Whether sliced or diced, or strangled, she has apparently nover gotten over the death she suffered at the hands of her wronged husband. while the duke and his family take her in their stride, many a visitor has been shocked by her appearance.

if you take the fascinating tour of this exciting chateau, say a quick prayer for Charlotte in the chapel- should you encounter her you won't regret it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/3219141563_566f070f58.jpg

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Saturn

• Senior Contributor
Re: Chateau De Brissac, France
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
What a nice place. I can see myself living there, just me and the ghosts and a castle full of electronics to probe them with.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
Me too!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
Love to visit there. 

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal