Author Topic: Black Cats Newbury  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Black Cats Newbury
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
I was at Newbury today at a house that backs onto the forest.

Lots and lots of forest.

They said their neighbours saw a black panther on their land from the forest and that they had sheep sheered in half. Bones just ripped in half.

Apparently it is well known the cats are in the district having been released by American Servicemen.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
Re: Black Cats Newbury
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »
cool..here kitty kitty...

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...
[inspired by Albert Schweitzer]

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I have been reading Mike and Rubys latest book on the subject.  Very Scary! LOL

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Is that the new one just released in Australia?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
Sounds interesting about the sheep. 

I wonder how American servicemen were responsible?  They wouldn't be allowed to have animals with them on active duty, nor on the navy ships that come here.  I've heard of dogs in the armed services, but not cats - large or small.  I'm not following how American servicemen even came to have such animals here, let alone release them here.  Do you know?

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
The official stance from the US army/navy may have been one of no animals, but this was not strictly enforced.  Many brigades kept a mascot reperesenting the animal that particular brigade was named for.  The brigade stationed in the Grampian are had a puma as its mascot.  They also had several pumas, one with 4 little kittens.  These animals have been seen and well documented by the people who lived in that area.

The book I am reading at the moment is extremely well written and reserched and has documentation to back up many of the reports published. 

Wel,l worth getting as it is a real eye opener.    http://www.australianbigcats.com.au/

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
Salty the soldiers released the animals here because of the strict quarantine laws in the US.  They would never be allowed to bring their pets back into the country and so they were faced with the choice of releasing them or shooting them.  They chose to release them.   A mother Puma with 4 little kittens was released in the Halls Gap area. 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »
Next payday I am ordering this book. Looks good.
Douglas Adams

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the info CE.  I had no idea.  I wondered how or why they would have had these animals.  Now I know. 

I suppose that's a reasonable choice to free them rather than shoot them, if they were attached to the animals, but at the same time it's irresponsible when we consider the possible impact on native animals and birds. 

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal