Author Topic: NZ....close enough to go in the Aussie section I think.  (Read 4392 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
NZ....close enough to go in the Aussie section I think.
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
Bid to capture black panther

Linda Clarke
December 8 2009

Mid Canterbury’s legendary black panther has not been sighted since May last year, but David Wightman thinks it is still out there.

The Winterslow Station runholder has set up a trap to catch the large black cat, complete with a live goat.

Mr Wightman said there had been at least four sightings on his station, and several other sightings on surrounding farms as well as other areas of Mid Canterbury.

He said he initially built the trap in 2000, after consulting on its design with a wildlife expert.

He had operated it on and off over the years, generally following sightings.

Mr Wightman said he had not wanted to go public until now, due to cynicism about the existence of the panther.

Methven Heritage Project members are promoting Mr Wightman’s attempts to capture the cat as they gear up for a fundraising four-wheel-drive trip next month.

They say even if Mr Wightman does not succeed, others going on the trip may spot the panther.

Mr Wightman is happy to go along with the publicity campaign, and said he will operate the trap for two weeks leading up to the trip on January.

He was not sure whether he was confident or not that this time he would catch the cat.

“If a trap isn’t set you have got no chance at all. Right at this very moment I’m not sure where the thing is lurking.”

However, Mr Wightman has no doubt at all about the existence of the panther, and believes it is not just a large black feral cat as many believe.

The last sighting was May last year when two young men tramping on Winterslow Station saw the cat, and described it to him in similar terms to a previous sighting about 80 metres away by farmers Murray and Linda Harmer.

The Harmers, who graze their stock at Winterslow, said they were walking from the station’s cook shop when they spotted three piglets, and what they thought was a sow following them.

“It wasn’t the sow at all, it was a big black cat, about the size of a huntaway dog,” Mrs Harmer said.

Mr Harmer described the animal as “a big black shiny brute”.

Mr Wightman said the trap could be operated only in summer, as snow cut off access in winter.

He places a live goat in the trap for a week at a time, and has two goats he uses so they each get a break.

A wildlife expert had told him the bleating of the goat attracted predatory animals.

The goat is in a self-contained compartment, so remains unharmed.

The four-wheel-drive trips are on January 23 and February 13.

They involve some challenging driving, spectacular scenery and high country history and entertainment.

http://www.ashburtonguardian.co.nz/news/ashburton-news/bid-to-capture-black-panther-987-0.html
-----

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
Re: NZ....close enough to go in the Aussie section I think.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
Oh, its probably just one of the Orks pets from Middle Earth that's wandered out of the mountains for a look around. 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: NZ....close enough to go in the Aussie section I think.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:08:28 PM »
lol
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal