Author Topic: Claremont Home for the Mentally Ill  (Read 21579 times)

Offline XLR8

• Newcomer
Re: Claremont Home for the Mentally Ill
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
Out of curiosity Mitzib, did you eventually find this building? What remains of the hospital is now in the middle of a residential estate on St Johns Wood Blvd, Mt Claremont. Having not been there since the redevelopement took place, I cannot say how "active" it is, although my cousin and I used to go there alot between it's closing in the late 80's and site being fenced off prior to restoration/redevelopement in the early 90's.

On more than one occasion, lights were seen in windows and screams could be heard coming from the rear building, which now borders the college grounds. Not having ever been inside, this could be put down to people using the building as a shelter. Whether haunted or not, it is worth going to look at simply for the historical and architectural value of the building and remaining grounds

Offline XLR8

• Newcomer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
Just found some photos of the inside, although the place has been defaced with mindless graffiti.

http://www.6000times.com/2010/01/swanbourne-abandoned-mental-crazy.html

To correct my earlier post, the building where lights were seen was actually the St Johns Wood Blvd side. The entrance is on Heritage Ln, which borders the college. I had my bearings wrong, sorry

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
What an amazing old building.  Thanks for the link XLR.  It's incredible that such large and nice old places just lie in ruin, at the mercy of vandals, and are not put to some worthwhile use.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
With the amount of people homeless I can not see why they didn't conver these places into flats.

Offline XLR8

• Newcomer
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 07:31:21 PM »
It makes sense but it would probably have taken major plumbing and electrical works to make it suitable that may have gone against the terms of the heritage listing. At least it is safe and not another fading memory of Australian History

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
LOL.  It's OK for people to live and urinate on the streets but not in a heritage listed building with 19th century plumbing .....  there's probably more to it of course, but given our housing problems there are actually a hell of a lot of empty houses and shops...

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline nick61

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
Great pic's XLR8.

Offline Johndodd

• Initiate
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
I realise this is an old thread but if anyone stumbles across here this site is very interesting. Read the comments to. http://www.6000times.com/2010/01/swanbourne-abandoned-mental-crazy.html?m=1

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
Wow, what a place. I got chills seeing the pictures. Reminds me of Beechworth and Aradale in Victoria.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
It is a fantastic building.  What a pity it is just left to go to ruin.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal