Author Topic: Claremont Home for the Mentally Ill  (Read 21579 times)

Offline mitzib

• Senior Contributor
Claremont Home for the Mentally Ill
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »
I have recently discovered (thanks to my very clever Mum lol) that Greylands was not always our home for the mentally ill. Originally we had freo insane asylum (well known for its ghosties) but then after alot of "mishaps" with the patients they decided to open a new one in Claremont called the "claremont home for the mentally ill". I have found alot of info on the mistreatment of the patients. Freo asylum transfered their patients to claremont between 1905 and 1909 and claremont itself finally closed in 1993. I do know that claremont had many of his buildings demolished around 1975 before it came under the heritage listing. It seems to have a fascinating history and Im going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that after such a history, it could be that some kind of emotional imprint may still be there. I would love to find the place but unfortunately everywhere I have looked doesnt provide an address. I even went as far as trying to track down a road directory from 93 to see if I could look it up in there but unfortunately I couldnt find a copy. I'm also trying to track down who to speak to about how to get in the place (all above board this time - no hiding from security lol)
Has anyone else heard of any stories about this place or even know of how to find it??

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Claremont Home for the Mentally Ill
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
If it's heritage listed, they will have a location for it. 

Offline nick61

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
Sorry, Sydney boy. But it's interesting how mental asylums figure predominantly in cases of the paranormal. 61

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
I think if you consider the way the mental patience were treated back then its not surprising they come back as ghosts.  Conditions were horrific.....mentally ill people tend to fixate, good recipe for a haunting.

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
..... I'm guessing some of the patients have never left ..... probably waiting in hope of getting a hold of the people who treated them so badly.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »
...or no one told them to go.  ROFL

At a big Asylum we went to His Lordship and I found a hoard in the old chapel, just sitting and waiting.....forever.

Offline Lawzie

• Centurion
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »
I think your best shot is your Libaray Mitzib, if you haven't already been there. Maybe try the council in the local area??

Offline mitzib

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
I worked out why I couldn't track it down. It turns out it now goes under the name of Point Heathcote. The remaining buildings have been turned into a museum so making a visit should be easy.
I do believe places like this could prove interesting.... all the turmoil and suffering must have left something behind. One story reported in "The Mirror" a way back when paper that a patient died after an attendent jumped on his chest. Witnesses (who were also inmates there) reported it as dancing and jumping on his chest. The injured patient was treated for coughing up blood but then died the next morning.... not a surprise really after having something like that happen to him.

Offline Lawzie

• Centurion
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »
Thats horrible!

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »
It may not be the perfect place to stay over night Mitz.  Rofl.   I think there may be a few angry souls 'too keen' on entertaining overnight investigators.   

....... then again...... it certainly wouldn't be boring.   

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
The angry, nasty ones are the most interesting.  LOL

Offline cripau

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
Cool.  Thanks Cripau.

Offline mitzib

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
Thank you Cripau... I had actually gotten my facts wrong in the dirst place and silly me didnt think to double check everything until almost at the end..... Claremont is actually part of what is now known as Graylands..

Offline jarnsaxa

• Centurion
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
You asked about the Freo Asylum.It shared the grounds with the Skinner Street Cemetary,now known as John Curtin.Many of the bodies were re-interred at Freo Cemetary but there still remains about 200 bodies in the vicinity.On the corner of Vale and Skinner streets,Freo.Part of the convict wall still stands and some of the surrounding walls remain.There is a large notice at the entrance to the oval which gives a bit more detail.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal