Author Topic: Nathan Rees believes something big and furry is roaming Sydney's west.  (Read 6066 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss

Nick Ralston and Evyn Testoni

September 19, 2008 04:28pm

NSW Premier Nathan Rees believes something big and furry is roaming Sydney's west. And he wants to find out what it is.

Despite a lack of firm evidence, Mr Rees no longer thinks stories of big cats such as a black panther stalking western Sydney are just an urban myth.

He said he has been in contact with a local woman who has compiled a database of some 600 alleged big cat sightings.

"I don't think it's necessarily an urban myth,'' Mr Rees told reporters in Penrith today.

"There are too many people reporting sightings.''

It is a turnaround for Mr Rees, who as water minister in August said the "black panther is an urban myth''.

The black cat sightings have already been subject of a three-year NSW Agriculture-led investigation, which was wrapped up in January 2002.

But Mr Rees said a recent spate of new sightings could warrant a new investigation.

"Of particular concern is if there are little kids out there, and there actually is one of these things,'' Mr Rees said today.

"It is easy for all of us to dismiss these things ... but if we're actually wrong then there is an altogether different set of scenarios.''

Sighting of big cats - dubbed either the Penrith Panther or Lithgow Panther - have been part of local folklore in Sydney's west and the Blue Mountains for decades.

Rumours persist the big cats escaped from private zoos or a circus in the area years ago, and even the local NRL club is called the Penrith Panthers.

While many people believe it is some type of exotic cat, possibly a panther, cougar or leopard, myth busters say they are nothing but large feral cats with thick winter coats.

The creatures are said to roam from Penrith to the Hawkesbury region in Sydney's north-west, along the Nepean River and across the Blue Mountain to Lithgow.

Believers say the big cats have been able to survive by roaming the three large national parks - Kanangra-Boyd, Blue Mountains and Wollemi - which connect across the mountains.

Mr Rees has won the support of renowned crypto-naturalist Tim the Yowie Man, who welcomed suggestions that the fabled black cat required further investigation.

However, he also wants the state government to look at other NSW mysteries such as the Burrawang Bunyip, the UFOs of the Central Coast and his pet project - the yowie.

"Mystery big cats aren't the only mysterious phenomena in NSW,'' Tim the Yowie Man said.

Mr Rees is unlikely to win bipartisan support for his new search, with the NSW opposition showing its sceptical side.

"This is Nathan Rees' 'beef stroganoff moment and demonstrates how out of touch Labor has become,'' said Deputy Liberal leader Jillian Skinner, referring to the uproar caused after federal Labor MP John Murphy complained earlier this week about the size of meal servings at the parliament house canteen in Canberra.

"Nathan Rees needs to get his priorities right.

"Looking into the so-called black panther, but not into the budget crisis, says a lot about this bloke and it's not good for the people of NSW.''

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
I think they need to focus more on producing some kind of evidence, not just going with 'reported sightings'.   Considering they say the sightings and the big cats have been in those areas for 'decades', it might have been a good idea for someone to try for a photo (perhaps by hidden night vision camera), or droppings, or carcass that could have big cat DNA on it, or anything...... rather than just keeping on saying that 'so-and-so was out walking and saw a pather cross their path', or whatever.

I believe they're there.  When growing up, in Sydney I spent lots of time around the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury areas.  I also know there are fire trails throughout the national parks, so its not as though the areas are inaccessible for 'big cat' enthusiasts.   I used to ride horses on the fire trails, with friends, and they are easily found.   

I'm not totally convinced by the myth that they 'escaped' from anywhere.  It seems quite possible to me that they were 'set free' or 'put there' shall we say, by persons unknown at this stage.   And those persons may never be known, because they could very likely be dead by now.   

I think there's too much emphasis on 'how many sightings' there are, and 'who saw what when they were walking their dog'.   None of that proves anything.  Hopefully Tim the Yowie Man might get some footage somewhere.   

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
Catseyes - do you have the link for the story? just wanted to send the link to a few friends. Cheers, chantel
I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
It is the same as ghost hunting.

We know something is there so we search for tangible evidence, not just say that something happened to me and then ignore it.

There needs to be a group/team put together to seek evidence I believe.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
Chaney I found it when I was googling for the cat evidence from chanel9's report.....I don't have the link anymore.  Sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't copied it.

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
no worries CE :) 

BTW do you know where I can get my hands on the actual report?

Cheers, Chantel

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
I caught it quickly from the 11 o'clock news.  What I have posted before is all I could find.   Do you know Mike Williams or Rebecca Lang?  You may get it through them.  They are usually pretty much on top of BlackCat reports

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
no worries - cool - cheers

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal