Author Topic: Morpeth Ghost Tour  (Read 9404 times)

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
Morpeth Ghost Tour
« on: June 27, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
Guys, I am going on this tour next Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. cheers, Chantel

==============================

Located in the historic riverside village of Morpeth, NSW, is The Morpeth Ghost & History Tour. This 2.5 hour walking tour intertwines true ghost stories with local colonial history. You will be guided into the past by tour operator Troy Murphie, who spent more than 12 months interviewing local residents and shopkeepers about their personal Morpeth ghost experiences, before hitting the history books to piece together who these ghosts might have been.

Tours operate on a pre-booking basis regardless of weather conditions.
Cost is $25 (Adult), $20 (Concession) & $15 (Child).
Cash payments only on the night. Tax receipt will be given.
Maximum number of 20 participants.

Tour commences at 7.30pm (8.30pm daylight savings)
Casual dress and comfortable shoes recommended.
Torches are provided.
For the health and comfort of everyone in the tour group, no smoking or alcohol is permitted on this tour.

http://www.morpethghosttours.com.au/
I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline mitzib

• Senior Contributor
Re: Morpeth Ghost Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
sounds interesting , cant wait to hear about it

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Have fun!

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
Sounds good.  A couple of my ancestors were born there - so I've recently discovered while doing the family tree.   

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
Have a great time. Can't wait to hear how it was!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »
Sorry for the lateness, but here tis :)

Morpeth Ghost Tour review.

What a night! On 11 July 2009, Meeting the rest of the small tour group (there were 3 this night) in the main street at 7.30, it was already dark, cold and not a breath of wind! This tour is not just for those interested in ghosts but of the historical kind as well. For the two others were complete sceptics, mostly doing the tour in terms of researching their family history.

Troy, the owner and presenter of the ghost tour is a newbie to the paranormal. Being a travelling performer by profession, his presence conducting the tour is unassuming, but with an impression that there is much more to Troy, should he be caught at the local pub and asked to tell his stories. At each location, he retells the stories and ghostly experiences of town folk, shop owners and other tours, but what was remarkable is he stands back at most locations and lets the tour members experience it for themselves.

At one shop, filled with ladies clothes, a women and child is said to mill around – being seen in day and night. The oddest thing happened (mind you it was only 10 minutes into the tour), my fully charged camera battery (with 60 minutes worth of power) died. But not before taking some unusual pictures.

The tour leads around the shops and through the back lanes. At one house the ghost of a lady, Mrs Cantwell, stands and looks out from her colonial cottage window. She looks out in the direction of a water well where her 10 year old son Stephen died in 1868.

Further along to the outer side of Morpeth, St James Church is said to be the location of a bishop that travels between the back of the church and the current main residence.

Across the road there from St James Church is an Avenue of Trees, which leads to a georgian-style mansion named Closebourne House which was built in 1826. Having many usages over its lifetime, from an Anglican Bishop residence in the 1800s to a boys home and grammar college and now to be an aged people’s home. Troy revealed that many people see “shadow figures” running through the trees and the property. Quite remarkable, a few minutes of walking down the Avenue of Trees, both Troy and myself both exclaimed at the SAME time (mine was more of a four letter word, but you get the drift). Troy asked me what I saw. I recalled seeing a black fussy figure run in front of the tour group from right side of the avenue to the other about 10 – 20 metres further on. Amazingly, Troy confirmed that was exactly what he saw!

Leading back into town along the main street, a skeptical tour member reported having her jeans pant leg pulled up and then tugged down with force. Quite uncanny I was standing next to her, but not within reaching distance. I’m not sure if she, as the tour came to an end, willed something to happen due to psychological inference or if it did actually happen. Nonetheless the event was quite substantial.

Troy is currently writing and researching a second ghost tour to take on the northern part of Morpeth, which will encompass The River Royal Hotel of which one of the accommodation rooms, Room 4, is apparently haunted. If the up and coming tour is anything like the current tour, it should prove thrilling and a must see.

When the tour finished, Morpeth was engulfed by dense fog – what a fitting atmosphere to leave on, again shrouded in mystery.

I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
Sounds great! Did you get any pictures?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal