Author Topic: White Magic v. Black or Dark Magic  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Flutterbit

• Contributor
White Magic v. Black or Dark Magic
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:40:33 PM »
Some would define white magic as being good and black or dark magic as being either evil or negative to say the least.

White magic is, generally speaking, used for "good" purposes whereas black or dark is usually relegated to evil or negative purposes.

Good is anything that is done genuinely and unselfishly to help, encourage and engender wellbeing and care for others.  It is done with good intention.  Whereas evil or negative is to the contrary and includes actions that manipulate anothers will - regardless of whether or not the outcome is positive.

Another school of thought is that the magic itself is neither white nor black.  That magic is simply a tool that we use, just like a hammer or a pen, and that it is the intention within a persons own heart that is white or black.

Flutterbit

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:49:45 PM »
Flutterbit, I believe that it is the intention of the user that matters!

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:25:29 PM »
Hey there Catseyes,

Yes, I also believe that intention is the most important part of any workings or just in day to day life.

Flutterbit

Offline mistress_storm

• Junior Contributor
Re: White Magic v. Black or Dark Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
magick is neither white nor black, a spell can be used for good or evil! it is all in the heart of the spell caster.
so now the question is; does that mean we can be classified as white/black witches??
It is easier for a man to destroy the Light inside himself than to defeat the darkness all around him.

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
Re: White Magic v. Black or Dark Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
Almost everything is a tool which can be used for good or evil.  Some tools are dangerous and liable to damage more than create, so I guess you'd call them black tools but I'd go along with the argument in general that magic like everything else should be judged by the intention.

so perhaps colourful witches might be a good description.....

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal