Author Topic: Top 10 Haunted Sites in Australia  (Read 48838 times)

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Top 10 Haunted Sites in Australia
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »
The old part of the cemetery on Norfolk Island is very eerie, and also very interesting.  The epitaphs on the headstones are remarkable.  I took some photos of outstanding ones.  Must post them sometime, but I don't have them on disc at the moment.   The headstones often give the story of how people died.  Like..'so and so drowned in the bay while fishing for the commandant's dinner'  .... and so on. 

The mutineers from the Bounty are buried in the old section, except that its a contentious issue as to whether Fletcher Christian's actual remains are in fact in the cemetery.   (The wife of my close cousin is directly descended from the Christian's.  Lucky her.  Any direct descentants of the original folk are able to buy land or property there.  No one else.  Very strict rules.)

Bloody Bridge out on the point past the cemetery is also quite active.  It was built by convicts, and one of the guards was 'accidently' walled up inside the rockwork.  Apparently they only realised where he'd gone missing to, when his blood started to seep through the sandstone.   (The night tour there is fun.  It goes right along to Bloody Bridge.

I could easily go and live on Norfolk.  Great climate, great people, great surroundings and scenery.  Peace.   

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
I love Norfolk too SB.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »
I hope to see it one day.

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
You'd enjoy it CE.  Their restored Georgean buildings are known as the best examples in the world.  The spirits don't mind the restoration either.   Aside from the well-known legends, there's a lot of other paranormal activity worth investigating, in places you might least expect.   

A good time to go is for Bounty Day, 8th June every year.   http://www.jasons.com/Norfolk-Island/bounty-day-on-norfolk-island

On Bounty Day, also called Anniversary Day, they have a wonderful celebration.  All the islanders dress in olden day costume.  It begins at the jetty, where people re-inact the landing on Norfolk.  Then it proceeds along, with all the people in costume in a huge parade.  At one point they gather at the gates cemetery and sing special songs for their ancestors.   Truly a sight to see.  Then they put flowers at ancestors graves and so forth.   You should see the little children, dressed in long frilly dresses, flowers in the hair, and the little boys in britches and big hats.  Its so gorgeous.   There's much more to the celebration of course, these were just a few examples.

The thing I love most is that there's a limited number of local islanders, and they limit the number of tourists at any given time.  So there's never chaos or touristy crap going on.  Its peaceful and wherever you go to look around, there are never many people there.   

Christine, this would be a hoot to do as an investigation!!   

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
correction to my last post above:
I meant it would be good to investigate Norfolk Island..... not Bounty Day.  Rofl.   Just thought I'd clear that up.   

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
Is Blundell's Cottage in the ACT haunted?

I am working with the grandson (Adam Blundell) at my new job and he was asking me about it tonight and if I knew of it.

Anyone have any knowledge of it?

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
Sorry, I don't know of it.

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
That's ok.

It was mentioned on here in an earlier post, but that is all. Just curious.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
C might know.  I have never been to Canbera

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
C might. I will wait for her to see this post and respond.

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
I'm from Canberra - Is Blundell's Cottage in the ACT haunted? Apparently it is by Florrie, the haunting is in the form of the smell of burning flesh. The cottage is included in Tim The Yowie Man's tour.

This six room sandstone cottage was built before Canberra existed in 1860. It was moved to a site near Lake Burly Griffin and restored in 1964. Originally part of the 32,000 acre Duntroon Estate, a successful and thriving agriculture business owned by Robert Campbell, the cottage gained it's name from farmer George Blundell and his wife Flora, who lived in the cottage from 1874 until his death in 1933.  The first family to live in the cottage were the Ginns who lived there until 1874, when they acquired their own land.

In 1874 the Blundell’s, George and Flora moved in as newlyweds and raised 8 children in the cottage. Flora died in 1917 of breast cancer and George in 1933. After the tenancy of the Blundell’s the cottage was habited by the Oldfields, during which time there were many short term tenant families and single men. In 1964 the cottage was turned into a pioneer museum and is now under management of the National Capital Authority.

Blundell's Cottage is reportedly haunted by Flora Blundell Jr. known as Florrie who at the age of 16 died of horrific burns when her dress caught on fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blundell's_Cottage
I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »
Cool. Thank you

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »
  Poor girl, to die like that.  Very Interesting.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »
I have heard of it.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline rainman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:24 PM »
It would be a shocking way to die CE.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal