Author Topic: Before you change your email address on your profile be warned  (Read 11564 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Centurion
Before you change your email address on your profile be warned
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »
We are constantly getting members attempting to change their email address on their forum profile to a free email account instead of the account they presently have on their membership which MUST BE an ISP provided email account NOT A FREE EMAIL ACCOUNT. We have no idea why people insist on doing this.

We have not approved free email accounts on membership applications for more than 6 months now. All free email accounts have been banned in our software. This means if you apply for a new account with a free email address such as hotmail, live, yahoo etc you will see a message on application saying this email address is banned.

This in turn means that if you already have a membership on the forum and attempt to change your email address on the membership account to one of these banned free email addresses you too WILL BE BANNED by default! Its automatic and in the software. This in turn means that you will not be able to log in to the forum, instead there will be a banned message.

Please READ THE REGISTRATION AGREEMENT which tells you that we do not allow the use of free email addresses on our memberships.

http://www.paranormal.com.au/public/index.php?topic=2.0

The reason we have had to take this action  and ban free email addresses is because we had repeated attacks from previously banned users starting new forum memberships using free email accounts. Although it is not impossible that these trouble makers can still join with an ISP provided email account, it does slow them down. So banning these free accounts in our software frees up human hours spent with dealing with these  people and means we don't have to manually process each person applying with a hotmail account etc telling them that they need an ISP provided email address. The error message when they regsiter comes up with that message to any new user.

HOWEVER we are getting so many people trying to change their current membership profile email address to a free one, it's simply ridiculous.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND CHANGE YOUR CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS ON YOUR ACCOUNT TO A FREE EMAIL ADDRESS OR THE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY BAN YO AND WE WILL NOT KNOW UNLESS YOU EMAIL US. THEN WE HAVE TO GO TO THE TROUBLE OF UNBANNING YOU AND FIXING THE ISSUE. THIS IS LIKELY TO HAPPEN WHEN WE HAVE TIME AND NOT NECESSARILY WHEN YOU WANT IT TO BE CHANGED. [/color]If you change your email account to a free address against our advice, don't expect us to hurry to fix it for you simply because you want to get on the forum and participate.[/u]
Please people, this is pretty simple stuff, unless you have changed ISP and require an email change leave your profile email address as it is.

Sorry for the length of this post but the number of these mistakes we have to fix is silly and it seems people do not read the information regarding this on the forum or in the newsletters.

We am not sure how much plainer we can make this message.

Admin Team
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:42:14 PM by admin »
- Forum Administrator --

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: Before you change your email address on your profile be warned
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
Bump. There has been too much time being spent on changing peoples email accounts back after an attempted change lately.

You CANNOT change your email to a free account after joining!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline bixter76

• Contributor
Re: Before you change your email address on your profile be warned
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Hi Christine, I've only just read this after I haven't been here for a long while and the email I was using was an ISP provided one and now I'm just prepaid using my phone for internet.  In which case I now have a gmail account as I don't have an ISP?  How does this affect me? Vicki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal