Author Topic: Fremantle Art Centre  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Neptune

• Centurion
Fremantle Art Centre
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:07 PM »
For the uninitiated, the Fremantle Arts Centre was once the mental assylum for WA way back in the 1800's through to the 1900's.

It became an arts centre in the 60’s as far as I can recall and as a Freo boy, in the 70's i could often be found there running around with my friends getting up to mischief.

I returned to the arts centre for the first time in 32 years last weekend. I had wanted to do so for a very long time but never found the inclination or the time. Anyway for whatever reason, on Saturday my wife and I got in the car and drove to the arts centre. I was ‘tuned’ in when we arrived and couldn’t wait to get inside.

We immediately went into the main viewing galleries; these are large rooms with high ceilings and wooden floors. There is an open fire place in each room. The walls and ceilings are painted white with beautiful pieces or art on display on each wall. Each room is bathed in light from the large windows.

I couldn’t help but peer out of the windows wondering what it would have been like locked up in a mental asylum in the 1800’s. I was very aware that a good number of those in the asylum were probably psychic’s with varying abilities but with no understanding of their gift.

Initially I didn’t feel anything but after a few minutes I realized that there was a presence in one of the main galleries. I felt pain in my legs and a feeling of sadness. I acknowledged this feeling and moved on. I felt nothing more in this area even though we explored the upper levels as well.

We then went to the museum section of the gallery and had a poke about. We were walking up a flight of stairs when I noticed someone on the landing. A shadow of a man that allowed us to walk past and remained on the landing until we left the stair case. I gave him one of my quizzical looks which prompted my wife to ask, “who’s their”? Not an unfamiliar questions from my wife and she is used to the answer, “I don’t know, someone”

We were exploring the museum section when we came upon the cell. This cell is infamous in WA as a very active area. The museum has set up an area that explains all about relatively recent sightings and goings on in the cell. The cell door has been secured open due to the unexplained closing and locking of the door over the years. It wasn’t so unexplained in 1976 when my older brother locked me in the cell and went home. I was released by an ‘art teacher’ sometime later. Im not sure what was scarier, the being locked in the cell or the art teacher, never the less the door is now permanently open.

I went into the cell and sat on the iron bed, I immediately realized that the cell didn’t look anything like it did now and that the floor was once, and no doubt often, covered in urine and muck. I wanted to stay and try and have a chat with who ever but some tourists came to the door so I politely left to find my wife.

If your ever in Freo, go to the arts centre, its free and a great place to get into the atmosphere. I would of course load up on your protection as you would anyway in this circumstance. Im going back one day…..promise.

N 8)
Temperance Card 14.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: Fremantle Art Centre
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the interesting report Neptune.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
I have heard of this place Neptune, and had thought it sounded interesting! 
Thank you for the info!

Offline Salt Breeze

• Sea Mystic
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:00:46 AM »
Thanks for telling us about it Neptune.   Sounds like a great place to visit.  Be sure to give us an update when you go back there.   

Offline Neptune

• Centurion
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »
I shall do so.

Thanks
 8)
Temperance Card 14.

Offline JulieD

• Reiki Lightworker- Wiccan Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
    • Macedon Ranges Olde Town Tours
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »
That was a great.  I wish we could all investigate it.

Look for the light in everyone you meet.
You may be the only person that ever sees it.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal