Author Topic: Becoming a member of paranormal.com.au  (Read 17835 times)

Offline The Gate Keeper

• Contributor
  • Official Troll Patrol
    • http://www.paranormal.com.au
Becoming a member of paranormal.com.au
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:33:51 PM »
We have tried to implement a way of becoming a member that enables us to personally administer each new member to make them welcome on our forum.

Guests are able to post to most forum topics however some are reserved for members’ access only. You may only register 1 user name per IP address unless there are multiple users at your address and permission is granted by administration staff. Guests may post as guests or may seek to become a member.

Becoming a member allows full use and access to forum facilities including private forum based email messaging. Guests may be invited to become members by forum leaders, moderators and administration staff if they have shown a keen interest and enthusiasm for the paranormal and are able to contribute in a positive and worthwhile way.

Applications for membership can also be applied by registering without an invitation to apply. These applications will be viewed and decided on merit and contribution to the variety to the forum.

The post-count based user titles are like this:
•   Newcomer 1-24 posts
•   Initiate 25-49 posts
•   Inductee 50-99 posts
•   Centurion 100-199 posts
•   Junior Contributor 200-399 posts
•   Contributor 400-799 posts
•   Senior Contributor 800-1599 posts
•   Custom Title 1600+ posts

That's the way it currently stands. However, since there were many people who have varying levels of experience and knowledge about the Paranormal, the moderators decided that there should be some way to identify them. It was decided that the users who were conversant in a variety of paranormal activity were given an orange * Whiz * tag. The users who were pretty good at all or most aspects of VB were given the purple * Guru * tag.

There is a Leader status, which was added to take the leader responsibilities off of the Experts and Gurus. Here is a list of all the current forum statuses you can obtain, and pointers on how to obtain them. Please, follow these pointers, but don't PM the leaders asking if you can have a tag. That just decreases your chances.

Skill-Based Status
* Whiz *
This status is given to users who display conversancy with paranormal and related concepts and participate regularly in the forum, helping users as well as learning themselves.
* Guru *
This status is given to users who display a great deal of knowledge in most paranormal topics. Users who get in this group usually spend a great deal of time learning about many of the complex areas of paranormal activity and are open to new and varied ideas.

Leadership Status

Forum Leader
This status is not so much related to knowledge the paranormal, as it is to users' people skills and attitude. Users in this group have shown trustworthiness and a good attitude toward the forum and its users.

This status is given usually to users already in the Leaders group.

Administrator
The site owners that make it happen. They have the burden of responsibility on their hands.

If you have any ideas on how to improve the system we would like to hear from you. We hope this system will elimate the need to post multiple insignificant posts to increase needless post counting.

The Gate Keeper
“If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't follow. I'd be at the bottom to catch them when they fall.”

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: Becoming a member of paranormal.com.au
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »
As a guest you cannot view the whole forum. We have changed the permissions in an effort to stem a tide of troublemakers. To view the entire forum you must apply for a membership.

All genuine friendly people interested in the paranormal are welcome to apply for membership.

On joining all new people are expected to introduce themselves in the Welcome area. This is a great way to break the ice and get to know everyone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:29:52 PM by Christine »
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
As a Centurian or higher you will gain access to the Investigators Corner.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:00:48 PM by Christine »
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline mysterydistrict

• Newcomer
    • The Mystery District
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »
I like the new membership, I am only new and had to go through all of this and if you have people bad mouthing you around to others it is a great way to make sure those that are serious about posting become members.
The Mystery District - themysterydistrict.com - Conspiracy Theories, Aliens, Ghosts and more.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Mysterydistrict.
Douglas Adams

Offline bixter76

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
Looks good to me! :)

Offline mitty

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
sounds fair to me.

Offline phil52

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
no issues here
Why do psychics have doorbells ?

Offline skye131924

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
yep. sounds fair to me.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
Sounds honest and fair to me as well.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline Lord Daemon

• Demonologist
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
I like it! So we can get multiple titles yeah? Custom one and Guru etc? :D
You know I love my labels :D
Man will believe the impossible, but never the improbable

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal