Author Topic: Giant cat  (Read 3622 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Giant cat
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

Giant cat sighted near border

CHRIS OLDFIELD
July 24, 2008

Monster cats around the South East and Western Victoria are on the prowl, leaving behind footprints and skeletons of animals mauled to death with the heart, liver and lungs eaten first.

Around the size of Golden Retrievers, the big cats can be black or tan and usually prowl alone, except in mating season.

Farmers in the region have reported hearing and tracking the big cats which are "as quick as lightning" and too fast for a camera or shotgun.

Meanwhile, other residents are spotting the giant felines on roadsides.

Mount Gambier's Angela Beltakis saw a big cat on the roadside last summer near the Victorian border, but did not mention it to anyone.

However, after seeing a big cat again last weekend, she spoke out for the first time.

"I have a sister in Warrnambool and my young daughters and I travel over regularly to visit with her and her family," Mrs Beltakis said.

"On the way home last summer while scanning for kangaroos on the stretch of road approaching and beyond the Victorian SA border, at around 8.30 pm I was sure that I saw a large black cat.

"Similar in size to my Golden Retriever, (it was) crouching on the forest edge to my left.

"I thought that it was weird but put it out of my mind, never mentioning it to anyone.

"I have made several trips since then, however, on the weekend of the 21st of June, travelling at the same time, I saw it again … to my left and in approximately the same area.

"This time I was sure (it was a big cat).

"I mentioned it to my husband, who completely laughed it off - I never mentioned it to anyone else.

"My other sister (Tiffany) who lives here in Mount Gambier visited with our Warrnambool sister Monday-week ago, travelling home at the same time as I usually do."

Mrs Beltakis said her sister said it might sound crazy "but I was wondering if you have ever seen a really big cat where the 'roos usually are near the border"?

"I just about fell off my chair - and now my husband wasn't laughing at me anymore," Mrs Beltakis said.

From information sought by her husband, Mrs Beltakis soon learned of a fox shooter who talked of similar sightings and was aware of sheep killed in a different manner to foxes.

Mumbannar farmer Andrew Hines said yesterday he was aware of farmers who had calves and sheep killed by big cats further north.

"One photo is of a heifer on a frosty morning like this morning with big claw marks," Mr Hines said.

Meanwhile another farmer, who did not wish to be named, said he and his wife did not go outside the house at night.

"I've lost about 50 to 60 lambs and three or four cattle," the farmer said.

"My wife has been growled at - they make a big roaring sound.

"I've seen them and had a camera and a gun - but they are too quick and I can't get anything.

"I don't really tell anyone - people think you are mad, a bit weird, you know, but they are definitely out there.

"We haven't had as much trouble since we got some dogs from a bloke up at Euroa - fox hounds.

"But they'll be back. I’ve just bought an infra-red camera, I'm determined to get a photo of one."

http://www.borderwatch.com.au/archives/538
----

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
Re: Giant cat
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:33 PM »

Wow, that sounds is really serious; to lose around 50 to 60 lambs is cause for concern. I thought farmers around the country were only losing the old sheep or two. Surely there must be someone out there building an animal friendly trap, like they do for crocodiles to try and catch one. We know how clever, nimble and evasive cats can be, but surely one of those cats will fall for the food in trap at some stage.
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline nodoubt68

• Contributor
  • Life begins at 200 km/hr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:55 PM »
OK, haven't told too many people, so I might as well tell the whole forum..lol
Around 23 yrs a very dear friend of mine and myself where travelling back from Maryborough Vic to Maldon and saw sitting on the side of the road a VERY large black cat.The first thing we noticed was it's eyes...wow, really eerie ! We actually pulled the car over and watched the "cat" walk off. We sat there watching in amazement , you can't mistake the the look and walk of a "Puma'
 We had heard alot of stories about the Pumas who had apparently escaped a circus back in the "Olden days" , and that had been spotted round the Maldon area, but never thought we'd see one ourselves.
Even now when I think of that day, it seems surreal. And if there hadn't been anyone else with me  I,d probably think my memory was playing tricks on me and doubt whether I did actually see it.
I feel privileged to be amongst the few people who have actually seen one of this great creatures.
So their out there, and I hope not too many people find them . They have done well to hide for this long. And now everyone knows my private story. :)

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:52 PM »

I am beginning to think they are supernatural as they appear to have a strong presences about them.

Light, Love and wisdom

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:52:56 PM »
Wow ND. I have seen a black cat too. Not in the same area though. I do believe they are out there.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:23:25 AM »
I had a face to face encounter with a black puma at Buxton in Victoria.  Its on the forum somewhere LOL

Offline nodoubt68

• Contributor
  • Life begins at 200 km/hr
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
That'll be an expeience you'd never forget CE !!!

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
Damn straight!

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal