Author Topic: The "cursed" Walhalla grave  (Read 10236 times)

aberfeldy

The "cursed" Walhalla grave
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:07:12 PM »
Sorry to spoil a good story about the supposed "cursed" grave which has a quote along the lines of don't get close or you will fall in as well. In the late Victorian era, it was quite fashionable to have melancholy verses
of poetry on them, generally using a range of texts which the local undertaker or minister would provide. I photographed a grave in Yorkshire (UK) several years back which had identical text to the Walhalla grave!
Sorry to spoil a good story, but all we are talking here is the culture of the late Victorian period.

Offline Flutterbit

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 12:38:32 AM »
Hey Aberfeldy,

Funny you should say that because, quite frankly, given all the old mines around Walhalla, it didn't sound like a curse to me.  I thought it sounded more like a warning to be careful not to fall in a hole.  Hardly what I'd call a curse.

TTFN
Flutterbit

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »
Hi Alberfeldy,
we pretty much thought  the same thing. The cursed grave is more like a warning to not fall down the mountain than a curse itself.
Christine
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

aberfeldy

The grave
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:11 PM »
Quote from: "Christine"
Hi Alberfeldy,
we pretty much thought  the same thing. The cursed grave is more like a warning to not fall down the mountain than a curse itself.
Christine

I've always thought that the theme of the message was not so much a warning not to fall into the sunken grave, but to realize that the reader might unexpectedly be the next occupant at Walhalla Cemetery. As I said in the previous post, the inscription is simply a generic piece of Victorian-era melancholy.

TooL @ Work

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »
Chainz and I went to the cursed grave at like 2am.

[I rule soo bad]

Offline chainz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 04:45:01 PM »
We did indeed

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 05:51:23 PM »
When I get around to writing the report from Walhalla I will post a pic of this grave.

Christine
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal