Author Topic: Penitentiary Chapel Hobart  (Read 18691 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Penitentiary Chapel Hobart
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
PENITENTIARY GHAPEL GHOST TOURS, HOBART
Angelsea Barracks Ghost Tour
Penitentary Chapel & Criminal Courts
Sullivans Cove Old Hobart Walk
Sullivans Cove Twilight Walk
Being one of Tasmania's oldest and most historic building it's of course full of ghosts and ghost stories. Listen to tales of ghostly happenings and maybe meet with one of the past residents as you pass through tunnels, court rooms and gallows.
Bookings essential.
Adult $8.80
Child $5.50(5 to 15 years)
Pensioner $7.70
Student $7.70
Family $22.00 (2 Adults and up to 5 children
Cnr Campbell & Brisbane Streets
Ph: 0417 361 392
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

dazza

Re: Penitentiary Chapel Hobart
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »
Hey everyone!

Yes I have been on this tour during my road trip in Tassie.The tour guide didint know if he was having a tour that nite,so I went on a day tour just in case.
The day tour was informative & interesting but still I really wanted to do a nite ghost tour of the penitentiary & my luck smiled coz 5 people rang that arvo & booked in so there was going to be tour!But strangely enough those people didn't show...so the tour was generous to give me a solo tour.I was fine with this & excited but my feelings changed when we reached the 'lunatic cells'.
Now do keep in mind I was there in those cells during the day & felt fine,but something weird happened....I had sudden change in me....i became absolutely frightened........it just happened in a instant...I became cold sweated & damn scarred.I did ask for 5 minute break outside...but if was to be..then i'm out & bailing out of this tour.So I stepped outside,had a breather & then returned & felt ok...but that strange nervous snap I went thru earlier didn't come back & once the tour was over I was 100% fine & walked back to the motel room without a worry.
But now looking back I do highly recommend this tour,this place has atmosphere & sense of dread.Dare you to take a walk through THE PENITENTIARY CHAPEL OF HOBART!

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:48:50 PM »
I have been there. I really enjoyed it.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline scaredycat

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »
Another place to add to my list of things to do and places to snap :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. ~ Herman de Zwaan

dazza

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
I had no problems during the day...but at nite,once when I got down into that hallway with the 2 cells...my nerves fell to pieces....dont ask what happened there....it was weird....but yes it was the best location out of the 3 tours i did in Tassie!

dazza

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
But where else can anyone find a massive location like this?Soaked in history & atmosphere with courtrooms,cells,holding yard,a chapel (where a lot of strange stuff had been reported) & gallow with a hangmans noose (enough to give any ghost-buff the shivers!).
This place was my favourite haunted location during my grand road-trip tour of Tassie!
Highly recommended!

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
There are places like that Dazza. We go to them as a team. Some locations we talk about and others we can't.

Douglas Adams

Offline morbid_curiosity

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »
I really enjoyed this building and the history that went along with it. However, the tour guide was painful and I wouldn't go on it again.

Offline Rob080

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »
I did this tour on the weekend, in a small group of 5. I really enjoyed it, found the guide (who, if I understand right, has only recently taken the tour on) to be personable, friendly, informative, but not OTT or ridiculous. There was a good balance of history and ghostly tales.

A couple of the group experienced mild sensations, and a photograph taken at the gallows appeared to show an orb and also a mist. Other than that, it was a sighting-free tour.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
I would love to go back to Hobart and do that tour. 
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Glad you liked the tour. Hobart is fantastic.
Douglas Adams

Offline Rob080

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »
I went back and did the day tour as well, just for balance. Nil mention of ghosts or hauntings, but I had my camera this time, may have caught something in the gallows area, similar to what others had caught on my ghost tour with their cameras.

I'll post if there's interest.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Sure, we'd love to see it.
Douglas Adams

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Something to keep in mind if we go to Hobart again.

I just love the architecture there and also the more casual pace compared to Sydney.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline Rob080

• Newcomer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
Ok, I've got the photos now. Sorry for the delay; to see April was busy for me would be an understatement.

The first two are shots of the gallows, with the distinctive haze. And it may just be haze, which is what I thought it might be, or some sort of condensation in the camera (it was a humid day in Hobart), so I spun 180 degrees and took the last photo. No haze or condensation.

Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing. I'm no expert.

Sadly, the photo the guide took from the night tour with the orbs and the haze was not posted to their FB account, just the one of us without any prescenes.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal