Author Topic: Beechworth Ghost Tours New details and NEW TOURS!!  (Read 24216 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Beechworth Ghost Tours New details and NEW TOURS!!
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
Beechworth Ghost Tours...more than just a ghost tour... Will you see something tonight?

Website  www.beechworthghosttours.com  
Phone +61 0447 432 816  

Guided walking tours of the former Mayday hills Lunatic Asylum in the grounds of La Trobe University.
Discover what life was like living in the institution in 1860s.

Hear about the living conditions and jobs of the inmates.

Go deep into the heart of the old hospital, see places that have been closed for 60 years.

Walk the gardens see the wall that kept the patients in and the public out.

Tour Times

*Autumn*

*Winter *

*Spring *

*Summer*

*Weekdays Sun - Thur*

8.00 pm

8.00 pm

8.00pm

8.30pm

*Weekends Fri - Sat*

6.00 pm

6.00 pm

6.00 pm*

6.00 pm*

8.00 pm

8.00 pm

8.00 pm

8.00 pm

10.00 pm

10.00 pm

10.00 pm

10.00 pm

12.00 am

12.00 am

12.00 am

12.00 am

*History tour during daylight savings
**Extra tours run as needed, times are subject to change.

*Tour Costs*

*Early Tours Before 9pm*
*Late Tours After 9.30pm *

*Adult*
$25
$30
*Pensioners & Concessions*
$23
$28
*Child (under 16 years)**
$15
$20
*Family (2 Adults, 3 Children)*
$75
$90
*School groups (over 20)*
$10
$15
*Teachers *
 free
 free
*Groups (over 20)*
$23 adult
$28 adult
*Investigation Tours*
$35

* *BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL*
info@beechworthghosttours.com
Ph 0447 432 816

Comfortable footwear required.
Not recommended for very young children.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Suitable for all fitness levels
Uneven ground and stairs
Please bring an umbrella in wet weather
Bookings Essential: Adam Jenkins
Mobile: 0447 432 816

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:25:33 PM by Christine »
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline lotsakids

• Super Sleuth
  • Team Researcher
  • Senior Contributor
    • Poppets Place
Re: Beechworth Ghost Tours
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:04:55 PM »
I'd like to do that one....

One day my light went out, but was blown again into flame by an encounter with some wonderful people I call friends. I owe the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light...
[inspired by Albert Schweitzer]

Offline teabagg

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
I'm going on this tour tomorrow and was wondering if I should do anything to protect myself?

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »
DO a search on protection on the forum, you will find some good posts. You should be praticing protection all the time not just for special occasions.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
I'm going on this tour tomorrow and was wondering if I should do anything to protect myself?

Wear a parka it gets cold down there!

Offline teabagg

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
I sure will!! It'll be freezing!

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
I would be very interested in what you think of the tour. I hear one of the guides dresses up in period costume.
I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »

Should be good, enjoy.
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline teabagg

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »
I slept with my lamp on after going on this tour!

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 04:22:22 PM »
Ooo, do tell what happened teabagg!

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

Offline teabagg

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

The history of Mayday Hills I found incredibly interesting, espectially the stories about the patients and the doctors. One of the head psychiatrists in the 1800s thought mental illness was caused by the moon, so he used to walk around at night with an umbrella! Makes you wonder, doesn't it!!

As soon as we walked into the main building, I felt like I was being watched. We were in a group of about 16 and we all had a lantern between the three of us. We walked around the courtyards of the male and female units of the hospital, you could feel " things " watching you from the hospital windows.

You can't actually access the old female ward as it's falling down and heritage listed...but my friend put his arm through one of the broken windows to take a photo of an old isolation cell, by this stage the group had moved along and were standing a few metres away when he screamed! i inturn screamed because he screamed and a moth had flown out of the window and right into him! I nearly wet my pants!

We went into one of the old treatment wards where I instantly got a funny, almost dizzying headache in my temple in one of the rooms we entered. It turns out that was the room people recieved ECT, hot and cold treatment and a treatment where they'd spin patients around in a chair until their eyes and ears started bleeding! If you didn't go into this place insane, you certainly would have once being there!

The guide was saying quite a few psychics have said to him, because a lot of these old buildings have been locked up for years, now that people are entering them and stirring up energy that it's bound to attract more spirits to come out of the wood works.

The scariest place we went was the old cellar underneath the hospital, it was very, very cold and had a bad feeling about it. Apparently it's also rumoured that there's a series of old cellar type wards under the hospital where they locked away the worst of the worst patients. The guide is currently in the process of getting the plans of the hospital to find out where they are.

We didn't get to go through where the worst male patients where kept but that building had a bad vibe. I didn't feel comfortable looking into the windows at night at all. Espectially when I looked in and saw the cages they were kept in.

One of the stories the guide told us was of a little boy aged 8yrs old who stole a horse and the judge sent him to Mayday Hills and he died there when he was 85yrs old! There's many sad stories like that but then again there were also some extremely mentally ill people in there. There were also a lot of chinese opium addicts, alcoholics etc during the gold rush era that were sent there.

My friend's were taking photos and apparently there's some orbs in some! Many of the patients are buried at the Beechworth Cemetary in mass graves. It wasn't until sometime in the early 1900s that they were given their own grave. They were also buried facing the opposite direction to all the other graves.

Ned Kelly's uncle was also a patient at Mayday Hills and you can see where he's signed his name in one of the hospital windows! Also another creepy thing is there's a window in one of the wards that has a light post out the front of it and in the reflection it makes onto the cell wall is the face of a man..but there's nothing outside the window?!

Also one patient, a woman who was a big chain smoker was thrown out of a window to her death by another patient who wanted her cigerettes. She was Jewish and wasn't allowed to be moved until a Rabbi had seen her, so she was left lying out the front of the hospital dead for 2 days whilst the Rabbi made the trip up from Melbourne!

Mayday Hills is fascinating, interesting and bloody creepy! There's no way you'd get me staying there over night!

Offline chaney

• Junior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
The part about the head psychiatrists thinking mental illness was caused by the moon.

I read that the influence of the moon (indeed most astrological bodies) on peoples psychological state was just beginning to be understood in those days.  Now days there is strong scientific evidence to show that emergency room stats increase with full moons treating so called 'crazy' people. 

Cheers, Chantel
I've been looking in the mirror for so long.
That I've come to believe my souls on the other side.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Yes, I am familiar with this.
Douglas Adams

Offline phil52

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
for what its worth we do more psychiatric jobs and different emotional cases on night shift during full moon...true i keep statistics over last 15 years or so
Why do psychics have doorbells ?

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for the write-up teabagg. You make me want to do the tour.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal