Author Topic: 'Panther' a feral pest  (Read 5260 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
'Panther' a feral pest
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
'Panther' a feral pest

Rebecca Lang
06 March 2008

SIGHTINGS of a large black cat in the Hawkesbury and surrounding areas should be taken more seriously, and the animal declared a pest by the State Government, according to retired magistrate and Moss Vale Rural Lands Protection Board director Ian McDougall.

Mr McDougall, a Board director for Kenthurst, said the continuing presence of a large black cat-like animal should be of great concern to the Minister for Primary Industries, Ian MacDonald.

"I want him to declare the animal as a pest so we could then have mandatory reporting," he said. "Then people wouldn't feel they were nutters if they reported their sighting.

"It's important to me. I believe in due course these animals are going to take a child."

His comments come on the back of several fresh sightings in the Kenthurst area.

Mr McDougall said the large volume of sightings collected by Grose Vale resident Chris Coffey and local big cat researchers could not be ignored.

"What these people are seeing and describing to me is all the same thing – a large black animal, feline in shape, and its got powerful limbs and what most of them describe as jet black fur and a tail that's about 1m long and 2-3 inches thick with a boomerang curve at the end of it," he told The Gazette this week.

"The interesting thing about this group, the people I’ve spoken to, is they're from all walks of life, they’re not delusional.

"It's obvious there's more than one of these creatures and they seem to be tracking along the creeks.

"If it’s not a panther it's something that looks like a panther."

The Board recently wrote to the Minister about the big cat issue, but stopped short of demanding that it be declared a pest species.

Mr McDougall – who made it clear he was speaking independently of the Board, not for it – said he favoured a more direct approach.

"I don't want it shot,” he said. “If one of them can be trapped so we can find out what it is, that’d be great.

"But until someone drags a carcass and dumps it on the doorstep of the DPI, nothing much is going to happen.

"It's already scratched a young kid in Kenthurst. Somebody has to do something.

"That’s my responsibility to the people who elected me."

http://www.hawkesbury.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/panther-a-feral-pest/1197199.html
----

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
Re: 'Panther' a feral pest
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured by one.

That kid in Kenthurst, I wonder what frame of mind the cat was in when it scratched the kid. Was it a defensive “get out of my territory” scratch or something more “sinister”
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
I used to live at Round Corner right around the corner. I got married at Kenthurst. It's a lot more built up now than it was then though.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
You know Alien, I have questions about that scratch!  An animal that is used to using its claws to open up a cow hide or gut a Roo should have sliced that teen to the bone!  From the pics I saw it didn't look any worse than what a normal pissed off moggy can do!

I never hear that he needed stitches, unless I have missed it somewhere

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I want to show you a pic of a lace monitor lizard, I badly wanted to catch him as he/she was only a juvenile. However I also know how incredibly sharp their claws are!.

Do you know how to upload it here.
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
Sorry can't help with that

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
You need to have the file hosted somewhere like photobucket or similar, then post the link to the file.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
We have a folder called "my pictures", is that the same as photobucket, or is photobucket a separate software package that I need to install. 

Thanks.
Light, Love and wisdom

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal