Author Topic: Melbourne Cemetery  (Read 34591 times)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Melbourne Cemetery
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:34:59 PM »
MELBOURNE CEMETERY TOURS
Click here to visit website and for more information.
Run by Helen D. Harris OAM and Jan Davidson.
They have run tours of Melbourne Cemetery for over 15 years.
The have an extensive knowledge of the history of the Cemetery and the characters who rest there today.
Bookings Essential Phone: (03) 9890 9288 or (03) 9872 5492.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hdharris/cemetery.html
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Anonymous

Melbourne Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 03:29:54 PM »
when i was in melbourne, my friend ask me if we would go to melbourne cemetary without ghost tour, it amazing to see all these old tombstone that dated back in 1850 something like that. i didnt know why i was there with my friend because my friend said she always believe there is spirit around in this cemetary.

Offline Kali

• Centurion
Re: Melbourne Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »
Does anyone know of any Ballarat old cemetary tours which operate like this Melbourne one?
The sage does not expect that others use his criteria as their own.

- Lao Tzu, "Tao Te Ching"

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »
Yes the Historical Society run them occasionally. But all she does is read from a sheet of paper. She can't answer any questions. A few of us have done it and it was pretty bad. She hurries you along, doesn't like you to talk or linger etc and missed some very important graves as well because they weren't on her sheet.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Kali

• Centurion
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 12:00:07 PM »
Hmmm thanks for that. Definitely sounds like not the type of thing I was looking for, would you recommend it though as a good beginning step in cemetary exploration?
Cheers

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »
Do you collect cemetary pics too Kali, or is it the history your interested in?

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »
It is probably worth travelling in to the Melbourne Cemetery for their tour, it is very good.

I felt like I was on a bad school excursion at the Ballarat one.lol
Douglas Adams

Offline Kali

• Centurion
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
LOL I've had enough bad school excursions to not want a repeat. I'm really into the history and also the anthropological perspective. That's my personal passion. The Melbourne one sounds worth doing, I'm not sure I could talk any of my friends into it though as they are all career people and much too level headed for such escapades.  ::) Odd that people view a fascination with dead people or places as morbid, my own health issues (I have a blood disorder) haven't helped though as they hate to think of me and death in the same scenario.  :-\
Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »
No worries Kali..

I daresay if you wanted a group from here would meet up with you for the Melbourne one. I can put it together if you like?

Douglas Adams

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »
odd the way different people think about death. 

i'm not saying you should look forward to it, but it's a fact and it's coming and we never know when, so ignoring it is a big boo-boo in my opinion.

i'm most amused by the romantic associations people have with death more than a morbid obsession - although some of the people around me might disagree..... :)

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline Awake_ning

• Contributor
  • Wishing you happiness, health and love.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
imho..... :-\

Death is a part of life..... :)

Part of the cycle of life... :)

Not something to be feared..... :-\

It is a natural progression..... 8)

The end of one journey and the beginning of another...... :)

How exciting.....
I understand that my thinking creates my experience and i now choose to use this positively in all areas of my life.

Offline Kali

• Centurion
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »

It is a natural progression..... 8)

The end of one journey and the beginning of another...... :)

Yes, Awake-ning that is the way I am choosing to view it too. I'm not in a hurry to go but when I do I WILL be going softly into that good night. Mostly because I have made peace with my own mortality now, and also to make it as easy as I can for those I will be leaving behind.
Well Gary I can't say I'm ignoring my own as my funeral is all planned and paid for, and it's going to be one huge party. lol
What do you mean by romantic associations people have with deaf though?

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »
The whole 'end' thing I suppose.  In order to cope with death, many people seem to turn it into a kind of ghastly exception.  Every culture has, for example, a 'Grim Reaper' character who personifies death.  He's not always black or skeletal, and he's not always HE - some has a female 'collector of souls'.  The good old funeral march, the concept that people lay in their coffins 'waiting' for something to get them out - forgetting that their bits have fallen off by then.  Even ideas such as the 'afterlife' in heaven being just like this one.  What (i always want to ask) are they going to do with their bottom in heaven?  Will they still vacate their bowels?  Will it smell like roses?  what about sex?  Will they do it?  Will they have babies?  If not, will there be men and women and will there be a difference?  What's the point of a fireman's hose unless you are going to get hot?  People have such odd (and amusing I am ashamed to say) ideas about death which tickle me.

I have a story (not finished yet) about life in the cemetary.  well, life after death anyway.  I dont for a minute think its anything but an amusing story but some people might almost believe it.

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline scaredycat

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 11:20:10 PM »
Gary I truly cannot wait for that!

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. ~ Herman de Zwaan

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 11:45:04 PM »
Cool when will it be finished??? HUh HUh???? Pant pant
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal