Author Topic: Morpeth Church bans ghost tours  (Read 12968 times)

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Re: Morpeth Church bans ghost tours
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »
I have never seen a ghost in a cemetary, I don't think.

Offline nick61

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
Maybe a dead ghost?

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
Here's a thought though...what about people who create their own afterlife experiences by the intensity of their beliefs?

In gaols I have come across inmates that are stuck in their cells, who could leave anytime but their belief in their own imprisonment keeps them behind bars. 

I guess it could be possible for those who believe that when a bugle is blown and GOD will lift everyones body who is a true believer up to heaven, that those persons would stay with their body and thus end up 'haunting' a cemetery!

Offline nick61

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
Huh?

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
Sometimes I think that does happen but it's very rare.  I have collected people from cemeteries but it's very rare indeed.

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
Would it be more likely from older cemeteries Gary?

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
In older days, people often had negative associations with cemeteries - they 'expected' them to be haunted.  So I'd imagine that there might be a (very) small number of people who might hang around them.  Superstition and religion (the same thing in many ways in terms of belief) were more powerful in days past than today.  Mostly, real hauntings (i.e. spirits who hang around) are there because of habitual or obsessive mental behaviours - not forgetting strong emotional too which is the case with tortures and murders - and so they usually stay where their mental associations figure most.  Over time they can lose their focus at which point they'll usually continue on their way (which they should have done initially).  Some however are very forceful and manage to hang on for quite a while.  Australian indigenous for example ...  where a connection and duty to the land are felt.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
He could have simply written a new tour without the church component I guess.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
But isn't a church public domain particularly an historic church. The public has the right to access these property's I would assume?? ???

No, absolutely not. The buildings belong to the church, generally speaking no-one has the right to publicly access them if the church deems otherwise. Many churches within Australia are built on land which was donated by members of the congregation and the buildings erected with money also usually raised within the congregation. The congregation and anyone affiliated with the particular religion have much more of a 'right' than the EMF toting general public who are just after a scare, however even they can be kept out by a locked door. Many other church buildings stand on land that was set aside and given to the various religious denominations, but whichever way it happened, the church and the land belongs to them, not the general public.

Just as if you opened your home to anyone wishing to drop in throughout the day and stop to reflect or pay their respects, the house would still belong to you and you have the right to deny access if you so choose. No matter how historic your house may be, you have the right to lock the door because it is your property. Much the same as a church.

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
In actual fact, even those who donated the money or the congregation don't necessarily have the right.  In the case of some churches (dont quote me but I think Uniting, Catholic, Anglican) it is the church presbytry etc that have the ultimate say.....

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
Yep that's pretty much it GTD. I guess it's a little similar to cemeteries. Some people think that they are public land and therefore allow public access 24/7 when in actual fact you can't be in a working cemetery after sunset without prior approval. And of course for those on private land you need the land-holders permission, which kinda goes without saying but people still get caught out.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal