Author Topic: Dog Suicide Bridge  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Dog Suicide Bridge
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 12:52:13 AM »
Whatever mysterious force drives these dogs to leap from Overtoun Bridge, it doesn't seem to influence just animals.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 12:53:55 AM »
In 1994, tragedy struck the bridge when 32-year-old Kevin Moy threw his baby son, Eoghan, to his death, he was just two-week-old. Moy, who was suffering from severe mental illness, believed that he was the anti-Christ and his child was the devil. In his delusions, the father thought that a birthmark on his baby’s forehead was the mark of the beast, blamed them both for the Gulf War and feared that they were destined to being about armageddon by unleashing a plague upon mankind.

At trial, the court heard that Moy had been a lab technician until contracting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, also called CFS or CFS/ME. Despite suffering from depression, relatives said that he showed no signs of the psychosis that was to come when he visited his wife Eileen and their son following Eoghan’s birth in September. At the time, Moy was staying with his parents as he recuperated from his depression.

However, on the family’s first outing, a sunny day trip to Overtoun Bridge, Moy suddenly dropped the boy to the bank of the river 42ft below. He gave no warning and was “pale and shaking, and his eyes were glazed”. He tried to jump off the bridge himself but was stopped by his distraught wife. Taken to the nearby Overtoun House he again attempted suicide, grabbing a kitchen knife and slashing his wrists. Eoghan died in hospital the next day.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 12:55:36 AM »
Kevin Moy, as quoted in The Herald:—“Over the past few days I came to believe I was the anti-Christ and my son was the devil and the two of us had to be stopped, or something terrible would happen to everyone because of me and my baby. My intention was to finish it.”

All four psychiatrists who spoke at his trial in 1995 agreed that Moy was insane at the time of the murder. He was found not guilty by way of insanity and ordered to be detained at Carstairs Psychiatric Hospital.

Kevin Drummond QC for the defence:—“This case either represents evil of such depth that it is beyond comprehension or alternatively it represents an illness which is also beyond the comprehension of ordinary human beings.”

Yet while Moy's illness may have been what drove him to commit this terrible act, the location and timing of the attempted murder-suicide on a clear, sunny day on the Overtoun Bridge only fueled to the locale's sinister reputation.

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2023, 10:18:51 AM »
Hello Headless

Interesting story. The two explanations have some merit.

As we know bridges are a focal point or cross point of humanity as well as aminals.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal