Author Topic: Mysteries and Hauntings: NSW & ACT  (Read 11460 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Re: Mysteries and Hauntings: NSW & ACT
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2023, 12:48:02 AM »
Hello Headless some great stuff well worth looking into.

Kanacki

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2023, 01:48:28 AM »
A landlady filmed the spooky moment she believes the ghost of a girl killed by a car outside her 'haunted' pub spoke to her. In her spine-tingling footage inside the dark tavern, footsteps can be heard before a young girl's voice appears to call out 'are you waiting for me?' and a door creaks.

Bodalla Arms Hotel (now Bodalla Pub) owner Michelle Coric thinks the ghoulish voice is the spirit of a young girl struck over 15 years ago as she chased her pet turtle into the road. The 49-year-old is determined to uncover the truth amid a wave of paranormal activity surrounding the historic pub in New South Wales, Australia.

"We were waiting around when we felt this sudden drop in temperature.

"I could feel someone there. We had been waiting here at the bar every night, so we felt shocked and excited when all those long nights paid off.

"I couldn't help but wonder what she meant; 'are you waiting for me?'. Maybe it's because I wait in the bar for her every night?"

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2023, 01:50:56 AM »
Since she sharing the footage on social media, it has racked up more than 4,500 views and even saw her contacted by a family member of the girl she believes is now haunting the venue. Michelle was told the tragic five-year-old died 15 years ago after she was hit by a car outside the establishment when she chased her pet turtle into the road.

She said: "The girl's voice is gentle and high pitched. I don't know how to alter footage, so it is what it is.

"I've also heard a man laughing and it did scare me because it was echoing and deep, but I never felt threatened. I fear the living more than the dead."

Have a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDbEOcHuG4

Is there any truth to this story?

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2023, 01:54:23 AM »
GOOD SAMARITAN ACT LEADS TO DAUGHTER’S DEATH

December 4, 2002:— A five-year-old girl was struck and fatally injured by a car after her father stopped his vehicle on a highway to help a turtle. NSW Police said the 27-year-old Moruya man and his daughter were travelling on the Princes Highway near Bodalla, on the state's far south coast, about 9.30am (AEDT) yesterday.

Spotting a turtle crossing the road, the man pulled over to move it to safety, instructing his daughter to stay in the car. But it's believed the five-year-old girl undid her child restraint, got out of the car and crossed the road into the path of an oncoming vehicle. The car was being driven by a 36-year-old Potato Point man.

A passing motorist stopped to administer CPR until the arrival of ambulance officers but the girl died a short time later at Moruya Hospital. Police said there appeared to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding the crash. Far South Coast Local Area Commander Superintendent Rick Mawdsley said all those involved were being offered counselling.

A very sad tragedy in any case.

Who could be the man behind the deep, echoing laugh that Michelle Coric claimed she heard?

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2023, 01:58:06 AM »
HOTEL PROPRIETOR DROWNED

Sat 24 Feb 1934:— Flood waters claimed a victim at Bodalla today, when Mr. H.J. Burbidge proprietor of the Bodalla Arms Hotel, Bodalla, was swept from his horse when attempting to cross an area inundated by the Tuross River. He was drowned.

Could it be Mr H.J. Burbidge that was heard laughing?

75km from here is Braidwood.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2023, 02:00:23 AM »
For some few weeks past considerable excitement has prevailed amongst residents of Six-mile Flat, Warri-Bombay by a series of extraordinary occurrences, the origin of which is still as deep and impenetrable as ever, not-withstanding the most careful and rigid inquiry, although there are people who refuse to believe anything else than that they are the result of supernatural agency.

It appears that a miner named Cunningham and a male lived in a hut belonging to Mr. Terence M'Graft which is situated close to the Shoalhaven River. They had occupied the place for some time, when all of a sudden, one night the building was bombarded with clods from an ant bed which had been picked up by Cunningham, and which is situated about 100 yards from the hut.

The pieces of hard mud penetrated tbe cracks between the slabs, although how some of them could get through it puzzled them, since they were larger than the opening. They naturally looked about to find the author of the throwing, but without any success. When they went outside, the clods hit the inside of the building. On the following night a repetition of the business occurred, and the men became somewhat alarmed. They told some others of it, at the same time expressing their belief that the throwing was the work of a ghost.

These persons visited the scene, and found the facts exactly as stated by Cunningham and his mate. The story spread, and others viewing the matter as a joke, likewise visited the place with the assurance that they at least would discover the origin of these peculiar occurrences. They left in the same happy condition of mystification as those who had preceded them, although they went with guns, which they fired in the direction from where the throwing proceeded. And here we may remark that the clods thrown strike the hut in almost exactly the same place every time between two slabs near the window.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »
On several occasions no less than eighteen people have been on the lookout at the same time, forming a sort of semi-circle round the side of the hut where the throwing occurs. They fired their guns, loaded with shot, into the bushes of the trees surrounding the place, with such good effect that there is not a tree or log within a couple of hundred yards of the hut that is not riddled with shot.

To make sure that the clods came from the ant bed, a number of them were marked with charcoal, and these have been subsequently found inside the hut, perfectly unbroken. Although the spot is plainly within view of the watchers, and any one visiting it could easily be detected, and to make assurance doubly sure the watchers have actually placed cotton thread on small stakes right round the bed, but this line was not broken or touched, showing that there is no possibility of anyone sneaking up to the bed, throwing the clods, and running away.

Although the proceedings are most mysterious, and rival the recent stone-throwing case near Sydney, which created such excitement some short time ago that the metropolitan papers even devoted considerable space to the extraordinary proceedings enacted there. The most peculiar thing about the matter is that the clod-throwing started simultaneously with the disturbing of the ant bed by Cunningham.

And what is still more peculiar, the presence of this man in the hut is absolutely necessary to produce the "manifestations." Without him there is no clod-throwing. Many sensible, level-headed men have visited the spot, and although loth to believe that the throwing is done by any supernatural agency, they are absolutely unable to account for the proceedings. The throwing usually commences at about half-past 10 o'clock at night, and continues sometimes till daybreak, although as a rule it only lasts for a couple or three hours.

We are now 52km to Riverside Cemetery and Oaks Estate where we started, here’s some more mysterious and haunted places randomly around NSW.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2023, 02:16:56 AM »
Walcha is located about half way between Sydney and Brisbane.

Wed 2 Feb 1938:—Whether the paralysing ordeal of the night I spent in that lonely, deserted house was based on some psychic manifestation or not, I cannot say.

Had someone, in the past, choked to death there, or had some helpless victim been strangled within those walls?

It happened in 1905 near the little town of Walcha, N.S.W. Travelling along a hot, dusty road, I reached the town in the late afternoon, and, getting some fresh supplies there, walked on some distance. Seeing an apparently empty cottage some distance back from the road, I decided to camp for the night.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2023, 02:18:55 AM »
It was a small, two-roomed structure with an open fireplace. There was a queer sense of desolate loneliness about it. Some other swagman had evidently camped there. Fresh ashes were in the 
old-fashioned fireplace.

I have often wondered if he, whoever he was, went through the same terrifying experience that I had. After tea I rolled out my blankets and soon turned in. I had been asleep for a couple of hours when slowly I awakened. The stillness was oppressive.

Suddenly the wall near me seemed to vibrate. Then, apparently from the other room, came a 
queer choking sound, which became more and more agitated and violent, accompanied by a trembling and shaking of the whole building.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2023, 02:20:59 AM »
The noise of choking and vomiting ended in a sort of groan. Then all was silence. My hair rose. I could see nothing in the darkness. Terror seized me, and I was too scared to move. Presently, the awful choking, vomiting and groaning was resumed, accompanied by the shaking of the whole building.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2023, 02:26:57 AM »
This was repeated at intervals during the remainder of the night, until dawn, when the shaking of the building and the convulsive choking became more violent. I could stand it no longer. As the mysterious noise ceased, I rushed outside and quickly ran round the building twice.

There was no sign of anything. I was puzzled, and still am. There was no wind; it was dead calm. There was no cover of any kind for over a quarter of a mile round. Both rooms were empty.

I was (and still am) an abstainer, so the charge of intemperance cannot be levelled against me. I did not stay at the deserted house for breakfast. I will readily admit I was in need of money, but if anyone had offered me £5 to sleep in that cottage by myself again, I would have promptly declined.

According to the author of this article, he walked some distance from Walcha and spotted the cottage where he camped. A tragic incident happened in 1895, a few miles from Walcha.

Could this be the cottage mentioned?

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2023, 02:30:23 AM »
Fri 3 May 1895:— A shocking domestic tragedy was reported to the Walcha police last week. A woman named Sweeney, wife of Bernard Sweeney, a selector, living a few miles from town, was shot dead. Both were middle-aged people and have a large family of young children. Owing to domestic unhappiness the Rev Father Robinson visited them on Wednesday, and persuaded them to sign an agreement to live together amicably.

Shortly after he left, Mrs Sweeney thought she had done wrong in signing the agreement. Sweeney then fired a revolver, the shot, passing through the mouth, the bullet tearing away a tooth and a portion of the tongue, finally passing through the spinal column.

When arrested Sweeney admitted being with his wife and having a quarrel with her, and firing at her twice to frighten her. Sweeney had a six-chambered bulldog revolver, fully loaded, in his possession, and accounted for it being fully loaded by saying that he intended to commit suicide. He had taken out the empty cartridges and put full ones in the revolver.

He is a well-to-do selector, and there are nine children in the family. At an inquest a verdict of wilful murder was returned, and Sweeney was committed for trial.

Was the choking, vomiting and groaning noises the result of Mrs Sweeney’s death?

That’s for you to decide.

We now head to Sydney.

To be continued…..

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy