Author Topic: Ghost of Edith Isabel Walker: Mackay: QLD  (Read 877 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Ghost of Edith Isabel Walker: Mackay: QLD
« on: June 30, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Hello once again aficionados of tales of the undead. Gather around headless has found an amazing tale that I can only add a little more to it. So grab a favorite brew and enjoy another classic tale from the other side.

To be continued......

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: Ghost of Edith Isabel Walker: Mackay: QLD
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
The following story was Published by Sunday Times Sydney, NSW Sun 22 Dec 1895.

THE DROWNING LADY

The 11th of last December, I spent picnicking at a place called Slade Point, and I came home so tired that I was in bed before 9 o’clock. About midnight I awoke, and lay for a long time wondering why sleep should forsake me after such a day's ‘toil’

The door, as usual in North Queensland, was wide open, and I could dimly discern the far wall and the curtain at the foot of my bed. Soon I became conscious of a figure standing before me, a figure of a lady or an angel (perhaps both), with the most beautiful face imaginable, a mass of luxuriant golden hair, and light blue eyes overflowing with tears.

She was robed in a kind of furry blue wrapper just low enough at the neck to reveal the risings bosom. Instead of being alarmed, as you might think likely, I gazed rapturously at such transcendent beauty ; until after a short time I noticed a sea of mist or water rising round her.

Higher, higher, and higher it rose, and as it seemed to cover the mouth and nose, the sad blue eyes gave me such an agonised look of pitiful appeal, that I leapt forward as if to save her, and found myself kneeling upright in bed with a river of perspiration running down my forehead, and my heart beating like a battery.

For a few moments I asked myself whether I was dying or going mad ; but before long my fears vanished, and although my heart was still giving audible notice of its action, I almost longed for my beautiful visitor to return. Sleep was out of the question unless a fitful doze towards morning; and at the breakfast table, when, after a strong glass of whisky and soda, I narrated my story, they only joked about it.

To be continued......

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:29:35 AM »
That day, Monday, was a public holiday here, and about 4 o'clock two young ladies, aged 19 and 14, were accidentally drowned at Foulden Crossing, three miles above the town of Mackay. I knew neither of them, and therefore soon forgot, to a certain extent, about the sad occurrence.

On the following Saturday, whilst passing a photographer's studio in the main street, I caught a glimpse of a face in the window, which immediately nailed me to the spot, and held me as if spellbound. There, looking straight into my eyes, was the likeness of a young lady in whose face I distinctly and unmistakably recognised almost every feature of my nocturnal visitor.

After gazing at her as I did in my dream for a long time, I interviewed the shopman and asked,
' Please who's that young lady in the middle of the top row?'

' Ah,' he said, when he found it, ' that's poor Bella W—— , one of the girls drowned on the holiday.'

' Thank you,' I replied, in a voice which trembled in spite of myself, and, needless to say, I went home in deep thought.

Now, considering that I had never seen or heard of that unfortunate girl, don't you think that my experience partakes or the nature of the miraculous?

Can you or any of your readers offer an explanation of such a mystery ?

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
The Western Champion and General Advertiser for the Central-Western Districts (Barcaldine, Qld. : 1892 - 1922), Tuesday 19 November 1895, page 5 newspaper reported the sad event.

DROWNED AT MACKAY.

MACKAY, Wednesday.

Yesterday Miss Isabel Walker, aged 19, a daughter of the teacher at the Te Kowai State School, and Miss Margaret M'Clanachan, aged 14, were drowned at the Foulden crossing of the Pioneer River. Miss M'Clanachan got beyond her depth, and Miss Walker lost her life in an ineffectual attempt to save her.

To be continued......

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 11:36:48 AM »
Here is a picture of the crossing where this sad double drowning took place. For those guests who cannot see the pictures I suggest you sign up to this wonderful forum to get an amazing insight into haunted Australia.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 11:41:36 AM »
The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939), Saturday 21 November 1896, page 969 newspaper reported a year later .

IN MEMORIAM WALKER.—In fond remembrance of Isabel Edith (Belle) Walker, second daughter of Mr. W. C. Walker, Te Kowai, Port Mackay, who was accidentally drowned in the Pioneer River, 11th November, 1895, aged 19 years and 8 months. Fold her, O Father, to Thine arms, And let her spirit be A messenger of love between Our human hearts and Thee. Inserted by a friend.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »
My apologies due To typo in the title a Brain Freeze on my part . the name was round the wrong way. not Edith Isobel Walker but Isobel Edith Walker. Here is her head stone below.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »
Here is a picture of her below.

The question remain does she still haunt the area today. Does her restless spirit perhaps guilty in failing to save herself and her younger friend keeps her from passing over?

One thing for sure their tragic drowning appear to have touched many people back then. Her story of her short life lives on into folklore

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »
My eyes are giving me grief today. Here is the picture of her below.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal