Author Topic: The Ghost Who Walked On Air: Armidale : NSW  (Read 296 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The Ghost Who Walked On Air: Armidale : NSW
« on: June 14, 2022, 01:40:39 AM »
Greetings once gain lovers all things ghoulish and it is a fine cold night to be telling yarns of the death and ghosts and all things spine tingling. Once gain many thanks for headless for uncovering this gem of story. Some stories its hard to place the story or identify the alleged ghost. Some times it down right impossible. but yet who knows if a story is real or not. these stories regardless are a priceless part of haunted Australian folklore.

So sit back grab a hot brew and enjoy the following story that is very much worthy of being told around the campfire of forgotten ghost stories.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: The Ghost Who Walked On Air: Armidale : NSW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 01:43:44 AM »
The following newspaper The World's News Sydney, NSW, Wed 23 Mar 1938 reported the following story.

THE GHOST WHO WALKED ON AIR

One night when fishing with three companions near Armidale, we had a very strange experience. Only one of my mates and myself actually saw it; the others were asleep at the time. Something strange awakened me. I sat up, wide awake. It was a bright moonlight night. At first I neither saw nor heard anything unusual until my roving
glance focussed on a point on the other side of the creek.

I saw a man walking slowly and apparently painfully, not more than twenty yards away. I was on the point of hailing to ask if he had any luck fishing, when I noticed something strange about him.

He was wearing a pair of trousers of a light greyish color, and had only one boot on. His bootless foot may or may not have had a sock on it. His shirt was torn to ribbons. The left sleeve was gone completely. His bare arm had a dark streak from shoulder to wrist, as though he had been wounded. A bushy beard concealed most of his face.

Instead of hailing him, I shook my nearest companion.
Paddy stared for some time without answering. "You see him, don't you?" I asked.
"Yes, I see him alright," replied Paddy.

To be continued......

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 01:44:59 AM »
Then a strange thing happened. By this time the man had reached a point where there was a dip in the ground. He walked across it, but remained visible from head to foot all the time. Apparently he walked on air. Up to this time, I had no sense of fear, only curiosity. But when I witnessed this performance, my hair stood on end.

Paddy must have been as scared as I was because some nervous reaction caused him to do a very foolish thing. He picked up a gun and fired both barrels into the air. At the sound of the shots the man disappeared. My other mates awakened, and demanded to know the reason for the shooting. By this time Paddy and I were quite certain we had seen a ghost. However, the others maintained that the man we saw was only another fisherman. The incident was never explained.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:01:17 AM »
Perhaps the identity of this alleged ghost has been discovered. The area where this ghost was sighted was near Armidale as reported on Wed 23 March 1938.

Well the following newspaper story Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), Thursday 9 February 1928, page 12 tells of drowning 10 years earlier in 1928.

MAN DROWNED ARMIDALE, Wednesday.

Michael Henry Archer, aged 21 years, was drowned when he endeavoured to cross Dumaresq Creek, at West Armidale, In order to bring back the child of a friend who was on the other side of the river.

There wore many eye-witnesses of the tragedy, and, despite their appeals not to attempt a dangerous crossing, but to use a bridge a short distance away, he rode his horse Into the stream. Almost immediately the animal was carried off its feet, and was dashed against the suspension bridge. Archer was thrown off and disappeared. He was observed to come to the surface some distance away, but before help could be given he was carried away in tho torrent, and disappeared from view. The body was re-covered later In a waterhole 15 chains away.

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:02:39 PM »
Here is a picture below of site where the fisherman saw the ghost. Was the ghost of the drowned Michael Henry Archer still looking for his boot after he got washed off his horse 10 years earlier?

For those guests who cannot see the picture below I suggest you sign up to this interesting forum to unlock amazing haunted places in Australia. For any who does not think have a haunted folklore think again. So many stories to tell pf forgotten ghost stories.

Today the are can be visited where this alleged ghost was seen back in the 1930's

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal