Author Topic: Unexplained Experiences  (Read 13615 times)

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Unexplained Experiences
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2022, 02:05:25 AM »
TINONEE PHANTOM LIGHT

On many a dark, damp night, an eerie phenomenon made itself visible to locals and flitted around paddocks just outside of Tinonee, in what used to be known as Milbai. The apparition came to be called the Tinonee Ghost, or Wynter’s Ghost, after the owner of the property it was said to haunt, and it became a part of Australian folklore.

What many believed to be a supernatural spectre took the form of a light that could be seen from the opposite riverbank at Taree West. The Tinonee Ghost put Tinonee on the map in 1927, as the Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer reported the spooky manifestation on April 22, saying it was “just the brand of ghost that would scare even a courting couple.”

“It seems that periodically curious lights appear in a valley situated a little north-west of the village. The light appears quite suddenly and unconcerned, and travels rapidly up a hill nearby, and then disappears as suddenly,” the Wingham Chronicle reported. 

Some people are now of the opinion that the ghost is produced by 'Marsh Gas' – whatever that is. It certainly is not produced by 'Tinonee Whisky' for Tinonee 'went clean stark, staring dry' a long time ago. 

“Whatever has produced the ghost this at any rate is quite agreed — the Tinonee Ghost is a real live ghost and is awe inspiring to those who have had the privilege and the displeasure of gazing upon its movements – for they are of the greased lightning variety.”

In 1932 the Tinonee Ghost again made the rounds of the press, as being one of three places in NSW the “mysterious phantom lights” made their presence felt. Marsh gases, will-o’-the-wisps, and corpse candles were said to be “not uncommon” and were given as possible explanations for the lights.

Many people believed them to be Min Min lights – spirits of Aboriginal folklore that pre-dates European history. In 1974 the Tinonee Ghost again made itself known, though it had believed not to have been seen since the 1950s. The Manning River Times writer ‘Uncle Des’ thought the ghost to be due to a type of flashing firefly, and a visitor from New Zealander who said she had contact with the supernatural made the papers when she said it was possible it could be UFO.

Mr John Waterman, who was a boy in the ghost’s heydays, wrote in his letter to the editor, “Though it did not unduly scare people most were quite content to give it a wide berth, and there were amusing tales in those days of folk proceeding to or from Mondrook, on foot or horseback, clapping on a tidy turn of speed as they passed the Milbai property.”

Mr Frank Saxby joined in the conversation: 
“Ghost watchers used to gather on the Taree side of the river bank. The ghost took the form of a light. This light sometimes shone brilliantly, sometimes only glowing. It raced and danced about the paddocks, sometimes travelling at great speed, ground level and in the air. I would estimate it would cover a distance of a quarter of a mile in a matter of seconds. It’s brilliance was great enough at times to light up surrounding vegetation and trees. It often lit up a group of trees at the Tinonee village end of Mr Wynter’s property, lighting up the trunks quite visibly.

“Another theory was that it was a practical joker with a lantern, But believe me, no practical joker could get about as quickly as I saw this ‘lantern’ move, nor as  bright as it,” Mr Saxby said.

In 1998 Manning River Times journalist Peter Hay wrote about the ghost, with some old locals weighing in on the discussion. Veteran Taree historian and author Len Holstein was one of the people that believed the ghost to be Min Min lights. 

The Tinonee Ghost has been said to be due to pranksters, marsh gases, fireflies, glow worms, corpse candles, Min Min lights and even UFOs, however the odd thing about the ‘ghost’ was this: there was only ever one light at a time. 

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2022, 02:08:40 AM »
HAUNTED ENDEAVOUR HILLS HOUSE

Daniel “G’s” family had no reason to fear the ghosts of residents past when they moved into their brand new home in the Melbourne suburb of Endeavour Hills, but after a few years, things began to happen.

“It started in 2004. I had a few friends in my room with the door locked from the inside,” Daniel says, “We were all talking when the door suddenly unlocked. I stepped out, thinking one of my brothers had the key, but there was no one there. Then I saw that the only key was in my bedroom. We thought maybe the door wasn’t locked properly. But later we heard someone speaking and laughing outside the room. When we went out this time, there was no one there, but we could clearly hear voices from upstairs.”

“My brothers and I usually feel things a couple of times a week. You see things out of the corner of your eye – like a shadow; or you hear footsteps. And I’ve seen blue balls of light, with the inside of the house lit up as if the walls were blue. It used to freak me out, but my parents said, “It’s your imagination.”

Daniel isn’t fazed by his experiences “I don’t feel afraid and I’m now a paranormal investigator. I’ve picked up a couple of EVPs (electronic voice phenomena). I picked up a voice saying “Hello”. I’d heard a loud crash upstairs. Nothing had fallen, but I saw someone peeking around the corner – like a silhouette or shadow. My brother saw it too."

"I went to my room and it felt like there was another presence and I heard a knock on the widow. Then my brother came running in. He’d heard breathing outside and someone knocked on his window twice.”

There was one particularly unsettling incident in 2009. “I was upstairs and I heard hisses from the bathroom,” Daniel recounts, “I said that I wanted to sleep – pretty forcefully. Then I felt tight pressure around my neck and throat. It was hard to breath. I got the impression something was strangling me. Then the stereo switched itself on, and it was playing.” Daniel has no idea what triggered the episodes. “A psychic friend thinks the house was built where ley lines cross.”

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2022, 02:11:30 AM »
BALLINA GHOST

No ordinary ghost this; but one endowed with ethereal transience and, at the same time, possessing power to knock down an 18 stone man and strike terror in the hearts of nearly 30 people.

The debut of the supernatural visitant at Ballina coincided with the encampment of a contingent in the colourful costumes of gypsies. Their "caravans" comprised three of the most modern cars. Feeling secure in River-street and, with his band sleeping peacefully in the cars believing that no ghost had walked upon a State Highway, the leader related a remarkable story.

The party arrived from Coolangatta shortly after 5 pm yesterday and, after making purchases in the town, commenced to make camp near the Ballina baths. The atmosphere proved their contentment with their lot as wanderers as the children played unconcernedly about the camp and fires, where their mothers sang as they prepared the meal.

Suddenly, from out of the dark of the evening a wraith-like figure appeared. It lacked substance but approached with a material purpose in ghostly steps that glided over the ground without sound. Over six feet in height, with the white transparency of the arms showing clearly against the night, large white eyes and drooping white mouth, the ghost approached the camp.

Children screamed and ran for the protection of their mothers who had stopped singing as the leader's challenge "Stop, for God's sake, stop ! Who are you ? Stop, or I'll fire" was called. Still the figure approached and added the leader. "My brother Joseph fell to the ground. No hits but just like a puff of wind and he fell and rolled over three times while the ghost passed over him."

The camp was broken and, thoroughly terrified, the gypsies moved their cars to the bright lighting of River-street and the women completed the preparation of the half cooked meal over the stove of a cafe. Children continued to cry, but were soon comforted and the party slept in the cars until this morning, content with the assurance of the police that the patrol of the streets would prevent the appearance of further ghosts.

The leader stated that he had never believed in ghosts before last night. A proposal to return to the scene met an emphatic refusal.

"The ghost is there and the land is bad. He will knock you over and roll you in the river. It is the
ghost of some person who has been drowned," he said.
The mystery of the sudden fright of the band is still unsolved. Who or what is Ballina's ghost?

Published by Northern Star Lismore, NSW, Mon 13 Mar 1939

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2022, 02:16:54 AM »
A TOWNSVILLE GHOST

The prosaic and ordinarily extremely natural life of Townsville has lately been intruded upon by a visitant of peculiar tendencies. This unwelcome being, bearing all the outward semblance of a man, clothed in nothing but a common shirt, having about him no shimmering, gauze-like robes indicative of service in the celestial orchestra, selects the very early hours of the morning to fool around respectable men's bed-posts, and to strike terror into their hearts through their scarcely open eyes by representing a suicide.

Gentle reader, this is a statement of fact, vouched for by two unimpeachable witnesses resident in Townsville, and lodgers in a certain house of public accommodation, in the now haunted room of which a man " shuffled off his mortal coil " either at his own sweet will, or by the hand of one of his fellow-men. We are responsible only for an unvarnished recital of the circumstances under which the apparition has been twice seen within the past three weeks.

To believers in spiritualism we have no doubt the succeeding particulars will have considerable interest, and will prove a problem hard of solution, whilst for the sceptics there will be matter for laughter and ridicule.

Therefore, let the smile be smothered, and the jeer restrained, and the refutation of the possibility of spirits visiting the earth be deferred until we harrow up the blood, lay an icy finger on the heart strings, and make " each particular hair stand on end " on the heads of our readers, by recounting the thrilling particulars we have gleaned of the Townsville ghost : —

The night was far spent, and the balmy breezes from Ross Creek were wafted like an angel's benediction to the end and centre of Flinders-street, and far away up into the star-spangled heights of Castle hill. It was broad moonlight, and the lambent rays of the Queen of Night stole softly in through the half-opened window of a room wherein two men reclined on single iron bedsteads, nicely curtained, and possessing all the other appurtenances which go to make up what is commonly known as "a bed."

Sleepless and cogitative, one of the men decided to relieve the monotony of the solitude caused by the slumber of his room-mate, by smoking a fragrant manilla. This he did, the while he thought  of " England, home, and beauty," the " Friendship of dear old pals," " Gentle Annie." "The little old log cabin in the lane.” The cigar having burnt unpleasantly near his mouth, he looked door-wards to throw the stump out, when his startled gaze was rivelted by the form of a man's figure at the foot of his bed.

The trunk was covered by a shirt, and the legs dangled significantly ; the nape of the neck could be seen just below the calico-covering of the bed, and oh,, horror, a rope seemed to pass round the neck and over the brass nob at the top of the corner-post, the face and head being hidden by the calico, but apparently hanging over the other or outer side of the bed, and a clear case of strangulation being vividly present to the man's affrighted mind. The mind of the man in bed we mean — not the other one, suspended at the foot of it.

The live and now thoroughly awake man rubbed his eyes, and looked towards the other bed to make sure that his mate was not playing a lark on him. But no ! all was correct in that quarter — the sleeper being " all secure," and snoring in a most angelic manner. This state of things was exasperating, unbearable, and the victim of spiritualism was about to spring from his bed, and discover whether his eyesight was deceiving him, when the hanging object vanished — where there had been a tangible form there was now nothing but thin air, and the almost equally thin iron-bars at top of the bed-stead.

What was it ?
Where had it gone or how had it come ?

The startled man did not know, nor do we. Suffice it to say, the man swears he saw it, and he is like Brutus, "an honorable man," and certainly would not lie to gain an enviable notoriety. However, he kept the secret of the night locked closely in his own heart until about a fortnight afterwards, when his mate let fall some remarks which gave force to his belief that he had not been mistaken is seeing what he believed to be a supernatural object.

Now for the mate's story : —  On a certain morning he said to his friend, " You must have been tight when you came in last night."

To this, No. 1 (let us call him) said " I was not ; I have drunk nothing but ' soft stuff' for a month past."

No 2 : “ Then what were you up to, playing gymnastics at the foot of my bed!"

No. 1 : "I didn't go near the foot of your bed ; I came in about eleven, and I turned in at once."

No. 2 : " Well, I'll swear some man was at the foot of my bed with his head over the top, and his legs hanging down."

Here was a strange corroboration of the apparition seen by No. 1. The two men at once compared notes, and the result was they both averred having seen identically the same thing at the foot of each of their beds, even to the rope round the ghastly figure's neck. Both men are thoroughly trustworthy and could certainly hope for nothing but ridicule, if they had concocted such a strange story ; for people in the present generation are not given to believing anything very particular about the movements of departed spirits.

Both the men who say they saw the ghost were sober, they are not imaginative men — nor are they given to romancing. Neither one would back the other, for mere sport, in stating so consecutively all about a "vision of the night." We leave the mystery with our readers, let them solve it. The foregoing is a record of fact, not a string of fiction. Men pass and repass the house every day where the strange scene was enacted. Every time we peregrinate in that direction we look up longingly to a certain window in hopes of seeing the midnight prowler from the spirit-world. He must be a restless sort of fellow, or else he would not come scaring decent men when they want to sleep and when he ought to be putting in his time in some profitable occupation. If men who depart from this life have nothing better to do than to mouch back again and startle honest men, we don't see much advantage in dying at all, especially by means of suicide.

Sceptical reader, " you may take our tale with a little salt, but it needs none nevertheless. " Can you explain it ?
If you can, and when you do, " make a note on it. “

Published by The Areas' Express Booyoolee, SA, Fri 5 Feb 1886

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2022, 01:02:15 AM »
THE STRANGE SIGHT

A particular friend of mine has a very near relation living in Surry Hills who has witnessed very strange sights for some time past. She has often spoken to him on the subject ; and he has as often warned her against being deceived by optical illusion. She has religiously maintained, however, that what she has so often seen had nothing to do with imagination or distorted vision.

What she did see was a brilliant light, about 80 or 90 yards from her own house. This light made its appearance in the yard of a house opposite her residence. Instead of resting on the ground, it appeared to be raised a few feet. Everything around it was dark ; but that is not all. It assumed fantastic shapes, and on one occasion took the form of a gigantic man, walked out of the yard, and disappeared round the corner of the next street.

Until Sunday night, the 15th instant, my friend was not only sceptical on the subject, but cruelly indifferent. But on the night just mentioned, while standing at the door of his relation, he beheld the very light about which he heard so much. His relation saw it at the same time, and called a neighbour to witness it, to whom it was also visible. Whatever it was, it was seen at least by three witnesses (known to the writer). On this occasion, the light was eclipsed now and again by the luminous shadow of a man who passed it, and was at last extinguished. All was then darkness.

The most remarkable part of the story is, that although my friend saw this strange light and shadowy form for nearly an hour, which, he avows, seemed to him most mysterious, he did not approach the scene of their appearance, nor in any way exert himself to account for the mystery. Late on the same night, he acquainted me, in the presence of two gentlemen, of what he had seen.

He was somewhat agitated, and appeared disposed to talk of nothing but "the ghost," As my friend is a man whose word is as good as the bank, we believed, in the first place, that he saw something ; and, in the second place, that the something he saw partook of an extraordinary character. This led us to decide upon a ghost expedition the next morning (Monday, 16th), at the lonely hour of 3.

As we started for the haunted spot, we all laughed heartily at the ludicrous character of the mission before us. The morning, however, was very dark and dreary ; but we assured one another that we were "not afraid of ghosts." Weird stories about apparitions were related as we proceeded across the racecourse ; and although we laughed at them, I noticed the laugh was rather forced than otherwise. The gentleman who had seen the strange sight the night previously happened to mention something which he had forgotten to inform us.

In the very yard in which he had seen the light and luminous figure, a human head — the head of a man had been discovered a few years ago ; the yard had, in fact, been the scene of a dreadful tragedy. One of our party had the courage to suggest that perhaps the "departed was looking for his head ! " We attempted to laugh at
this ; but it was a miserable failure — we showed our teeth, like grinning monkeys; but the open-mouthed jovial laugh which we started with a few minutes before had comxfletely deserted us.

At last, we arrived in front of the yard. It looked bleak and ghostly. But no light made its appearance. Perhaps this did not displease us. The indescribable feeling of terror that had crept over us was gradually leaving us— but leaving us very slowly. All was not safe yet. Although it (whatever it was) did not yet appear to us it might do so at any moment. Had a bull thrust its head over the fence, and cried "Bah," I verily believe the four of us would have fell on the ground. No bull, however, was so unmerciful. We began to speculate on the mystery, but with great caution, avoiding words or remarks calculated to offend ghosts.

I began to philosophise on the subject. Phenomenal lights, created by certain conditions of atmosphere, and assuming shapes startling to the human eye, was a theme I attempted to handle to some advantage. Phosporous, will- o'-the-wisps, reflected lights, magic lanterns and so forth, were all spoken of : but all sounded "flat." They had neither the effect of solving the mystery nor of banishing our nervousness. A mysterious presence seemed to preside over the spot ; and, although felt, since it did not make itself visible, we removed to the door from which it had been seen on Sunday night.

Here we breathed with more freedom ; but none of us dared to ridicule the idea of ghosts. As the strange spectacle did not reveal itself, two of the party expressed a wish to leave, one to go home, the other to look for a public-house. The former made off at a brisk pace ; the latter seemed somewhat undecided. He invited us to accompany him in quest of a drop of something to fortify our nerves. "To be better able to withstand the sight of spirits, we had better have a drop of spirits !" Such was his offer ; but we resisted the temptation. He then left us, with the intention of visiting Oxford-street ; but we noticed that as he approached the "ghostly yard" on his way thither, his pace became slow.

All of a sudden, he wheeled round, retraced his steps, and ran home as fast as his legs could carry him. It appears he had "changed his mind ! " with regard to spirituous stimulants, but he assures us that he " did not at all feel frightened ! " My friend kept me company in the haunted locality for a considerable time after this ; but nothing showed itself, excepting a constable, who did not seem too well pleased at the idea of a ghost visiting his beat. We parted at the first signs of daylight.

Published by The Protestant Standard Sydney, NSW Sat 4 Apr 1874

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2022, 01:13:46 AM »
THE FLOATING STONES

The “Mudgee Independent” reported that the Lang family who lived 24 miles from Cooyal were being troubled by falling stones. According to the family the stones would fall through the roof
or float through the air without the slightest warning, Mrs Lang said when a stone fell on the floor it fell with a dull thud & appeared to be black in colour.

When asked if the stones had ever hit anyone she replied that some of her children had been struck but never very hard. They described it as being as if a small bag of feathers had struck them. On the first evening Mr Lang was returning home with a bag of flour on a pack horses, on approaching the house the animal showed reluctance to proceed further. On being unpacked he immediately bolted.

At that moment the stones started to fall for the first time. During the evening & on each successive evening from 5pm till 9 or 10 pm the stones continued to fall. On several occasions they floated into the house - sometimes in a diagonal position - at other times horizontally.

One evening a flat stone floated in at the door, struck a kerosene lamp on table, turned and knocked against half a dozen plates causing them to roll to the floor, fortunately nothing was broken. The stones, although not seen by the reporter were said to be about 5″ in diameter, nearly circular in shape & flat.

EERIE DAY

During the 1990’s, Rev. Kay was the minister at the church I attended – St Michael’s Church, Surry Hills. When he came to us he was a quaint sort of man who grew up in Tasmania. Rev Kay wasn’t quite sure what to say or do when a young woman contacted him saying that there was a ghost in her house – things kept moving, lights and electrical appliances went on and off, etc….

He visited the young woman at her old Elizabeth St terrace, heard her story, then thought he would investigate a bit further (just to see if she was crazy, I guess). He asked one of the neighbours, “Is there anything unusual about the house next door?”

“Oh, no,” replied the neighbour, “everything there is pretty normal, except for the ghost of course!”
Even though he was not one to believe in such things, Rev Kay felt that the young woman could do with some sort of help. On his next visit, he asked the student minister, Gavin Wilcox, to join him. They decided to go up to the woman’s bedroom, since that was where most of the “activity” happened.

The weather had been fine when they first arrived at the house , but just as they started to pray an almighty thunderstorm hit right overhead. (I was driving at the time and had a view of the city The sky turned quite an unusual shade of green in the area around Central Station. Rev Kay had told me of this appointment and I remember thinking, WOW, that’s some powerful prayer meeting going on.”

Now the weather may have been “just a coincidence”, but the seeming special effects really impressed all in attendance. After the prayers the girl was not bothered again by the ghost and Rev Kay now has a somewhat less sceptical approach to the supernatural.

THE MALE FIGURE

My sister once attended a seance at the house of her ex-fiance’s mother’s friend, in the mid 1980s. The house was adjacent to the site of Old Government Farm at Castle Hill, down the hill west of Oakhill College.

The friend, Peggy, claimed to be psychic and that she had sometimes seen a male figure in colonial dress, either the full figure or the top half, walking in or standing in the house, particularly in doorways.

My sister is a very matter-of-fact person and is not much into ghosties. The friend, Peggy, is also your standard WASP, tell-it-like-it-is type of lady. My sister said the seance itself was the most eerie thing she has ever experienced, and it made her convinced that there are things we can’t explain.

During the seance they heard the voice of a man who said his name was John and the definite feeling of a very real presence. It wasn’t frightening, just really unsettling as she could not figure out how or why Peggy would be able to “set it up” and fake it. She was utterly convinced there was no explanation for what she heard and felt. There were other details but I forget them now, there was a full name and other details I think like he was a teacher.

Anyhow Peggy then went to the Mitchell Library to research Old Government Farm and surrounds, and looked up the name she had been given by the ghost. Sure enough, she found that there really was a teacher with that name, and some of the other details matched up, too.

My same no-nonsense sister had a new “most eerie thing I have ever experienced” experience more recently in her family holiday cabin on the Hawkesbury River, near Windsor. She woke through the night to see torchlight and a male figure leaning over her oldest son’s bunk. She thought it was her husband but realised that he wasn’t as big as her husband and that her husband was still in bed beside her. She quickly woke her husband, and got up to check her son the male figure had completely vanished, with no sign or sound, and her son, who is a notoriously restless sleeper, who always kicks the covers on to the ground, was neatly tucked into his bunk.

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2022, 01:28:09 AM »
THE MAESTRO STOOD BESIDE ME

Twenty years ago, Signor Lardelli, a noted Italian maestro, was resident in Perth. He came out with an Italian opera company, and, liking the Australian climate, remained here. He was well known throughout Australia as a pianist and composer. His songs and other compositions are still popular, and I heard one. " Russian Love Song " over the air only the other day.

Was at that time, enjoying a lengthy stay in Western Australia, fulfilling a number of engagements to sing on the concert platform. I was introduced to Lardelli, who assisted me considerably by obtaining many additional engagements for me, and imparting his method of interpretation to several songs of his own composition some of which he composed specially to suit my voice. One song in particular he was very fond of, and he would get me to include It whenever possible.

“ I am never tired of hearing you sing it," he said one day, " and I think I would come back from the dead to hear it once again."

I think I must have treated the remark very lightly, for he continued very seriously, " I mean that, and promise you this, that if ever you are in any difficulties with your singing, and have passed over I will come back and help you." I am afraid I did not think a great deal more of the remark, and when, many months later, I met Lardelli In Queensland, and we continued our musical association, the incident was never referred to again.

In the following year I returned to Perth to fulfil a number of singing engagements, culminating in a big concert at the Town Hall. The event was an important one musically, and, contrary to my usual custom, I was particularly nervous. By a coincidence, Lardelli’s son-in-law was the accompanist that evening. As soon as I entered the hall, a was seized with a fit of the most utter depression which I could not account for.

As a rule, apart from the slight nervousness which every singer experiences, I felt an exhilaration In my work, which increased as the evening went on, but on this occasion I could not combat this feeling of depression, and the friendly welcome which was expended to me on my appearance did not restore my confidence in myself. I am sure I have never sung worse in my life. The notes simply refused to come out, and I forced and labored the operatic aria, which was my opening number, in a manner which thoroughly disgusted me. I cannot really describe my feelings. The number was one which I had featured on many occasions, and my Press book testified that I had always  done myself credit, but on this occasion I felt that I was disgracing myself. I finished on a note that seemed uncertain and untrue, and dissolved into tears when I stood again in the dressing-room while my accompanist was selecting the number to follow. I noticed that he was regarding me with amazement.

"What on earth is the matter with you?" he said. "Aren't you well. I thought at one time that you were going to break down."

I ignored him, and snatched the music from his hands. "I'm going to change my number," I said. "I'll sing this."

Almost unknowingly I had selected Lardelli’s favourite composition, and without giving him a chance to make any comment, I returned to the stage. Again, I cannot describe the change which had come over me. In place of hesitancy, came confidence, I sang without effort, and from the very first note I felt that I held my audience in the hollow of my hands. The feeling of depression seemed to have been swept away, and I finished the number in a burst of applause which earned for me an emphatic encore.

For the rest of the programme my confidence was restored. In the second half I substituted another number of Lardelli’s, a very beautiful "Ave Maria," and then another of his compositions which had been  specially written for me, and by the time the concert had concluded I had almost entirely forgotten my feelings of depression, and was my own self again.

I was staying at the time in Mount Street as the guest of Mrs. Bennet — mother of Enid Bennet, now Mrs. Fred Nlblo— and on the following morning two ladies called to see me. They were total strangers, and after introducing themselves, asked me whether I believed in Spiritualism. I explained that, although I had not made a study of the subject, I was certainly interested.

"Why have you called to ask me that?" I said.

"Because of a curious manifestation last night," they replied, and then went on to explain that they had been present at the concert at the Town Hall, and had heard me sing. They then asked me whether I knew of anyone who had passed over who would be interested in my singing career. After racking my brains I was forced to say that I did not, and they then explained that, on my second appearance, I had been accompanied on the stage by an elderly man who wore glasses, and who had stood by my side the whole of the time I was singing.

I asked them to describe him in detail, and, to my astonishment, their description was a most faithful word portrait of my friend and teacher, Lardelli, whom I had left in Queensland in perfect health not so many weeks before. I am afraid I rather ridiculed their suggestion, as I told them that the person whom they described was alive and well, but they left me convinced that I would soon learn something to the contrary. I realised that I might have been somewhat rude, and took their address and promised to communicate with them should I hear anything.

An hour later I received word that Lardelli was indeed dead, having passed away 48 hours previously, and I immediately communicated with the ladies, who again called on me. Their talk convinced me that they had indeed never set eyes on the maestro in the flesh, and that the manifestation they professed to have seen was indeed a perfect portrait of the man.

Was it a manifestation?

I am afraid I shall never know. I do know that whatever it was, something saved me that night. Something beyond my powers of expression. I am convinced that had I sung again with the same feeling of utter depression and lack of confidence, my professional reputation would have suffered.

I explained to the two ladies the circumstances of Lardelll's promise to return if I ever needed him, and throughout the years I have always liked to believe that they were right, and that he did keep his word, and came back to me at a moment when I most needed his presence to inspire me with confidence.

Published by Smith's Weekly Sydney, NSW Sat 26 Feb 1938

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2022, 01:42:18 AM »
KEMPSEY GHOST

There is a ghost haunting the good people of Kempsey. It appears in the form of an old woman, tall, lean, and haggard. It has appeared on three consecutive nights, to the great dismay of  Mr. Job Stanford, Mr. Francis M'Carthy, and another man.

“ Unlike most ghosts," says the Independent, that are said to steal away like guilty creatures, it approached the men, and its ghastly appearance and unearthly shrieks are said to be such as to freeze one's blood and make the hair of your head stand perpendicular on end.

Some years ago, near the spot where the spectre appeared, resided an old man and woman, who, so report has it, lived a very unhappy-life; and the old woman died in a most wretched condition. We cannot say whether there is any analogy between this said old woman and the spectral vision seen by Mr. Stanford and others, but if such is the fact, the inference is that the old dame wishes the misdeeds of her cruel spouse to be kept fresh in the memory of his fellow men.

So sanguine is Mr Stafford that he is laboring under no delusion that he is willing to point out the place to anyone desirous of viewing strange sights. Being of a nervous temperament ourselves we decline the offer, but would advise those whose nerves are stronger to make a visit to the spot and judge for themselves."

Published by The Manning River News NSW Sat 21 May 1870

UPPER MEROO GHOST

A weird tale comes from Windeyer which we can back against the ordinary ghost story for fearsomeness. The scene of the appearance is the Windeyer road at upper Meroo, and the story goes, and the relator of it positively asserts, that he was going to his work in the early hours of the morning when he became aware of a man ahead of him standing by the roadside.

Suddenly the figure, when the man had drawn quite close to it, leaped into the air and disappeared head first down an abandoned shaft about fifty yards distant. Usually a person who sees a ghost does not remain to make investigations, and the observer of this acrobatic spook was no exception to the rule, and he at once commenced to conquer space in the wild velocity of headlong flight, and later on with trembling nerves and quavering voice he recounted his thrilling experience to friends.

It is said that a ghost once reported to have been seen is seen again, and that is what happened the ghost of Upper Meroo, for another person riding past the haunted place after the shades of night had fallen alleges that he was pursued by an invisible being which asserted its presence by panting like an exhausted man, and he too, sought safety, in flight, and stood not upon the order of his going.

Published by Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative NSW Thu 11 Jun 1908

THE HANGING GHOST

The following which is closely associated with a grog shanty, may be taken as a fair sample of the local productions. Between Pooncarie and Menindee a dilapidated hut is pointed out, through which the night wind moans and twists the tattered remnants of the bark roof into all sorts of uncanny shapes.

It is said that after dark this ruin is shunned with superstitious awe by all experienced swagsmen. And with good reason too. At that unholy hour when visitants from another sphere come to haunt the scene of crime in which they have taken a prominent part, and make their ghastly presence known to timorous mortals in the form of luminous skeletons, by creaking footfalls, cold breaths, and the silent opening of locked doors, the figure of a Chinaman is always to be seen swinging in the night breezes from one of the rafters.

Years ago this hut was in the occupation of a notorious shanty keeper, who sold more drink, and killed more customers than a licensed establishment less than a mile away on the other side of the river. The Chinaman belonged to the hotel, and through his agency a conviction was obtained against the shanty keeper, who, finding his occupation gone, shifted his location.

A few days after this the Chinaman was found hanging dead in the deserted hut. Was it murder in revenge, or suicide from remorse ? Who can tell? Suffice it, that precisely when all regulated clocks should strike twelve the restless spirit of the defunct Celestial assumes an apparently corporeal tenement, which, according to precedent, is dangled with mathematical precision from a particular rafter in a particular apartment of that ruined hut.

Published by The Riverine Grazier Hay, NSW Sat 23 Jun 1883

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2022, 02:12:19 AM »
TANBAR GHOSTS

The Windorah area is the heart of the south-west ghost country. On Keeroongooloo Station, a phantom coach and four phantom horses race along the dusty roads at night. It was once a Cobb & Co. coach operating between Windorah and Mount Howitt. One dark night in the 1890s the horses bolted and the coach plunged down a steep bank into a fast-running creek. The driver and all the passengers drowned.

Thereafter station hands camped by the creek have been woken in the fright by their dogs barking and the unmistakable sound of clattering hooves, jingling harness and rattling coach. Time and again men have got out of their bedrolls to try to catch a glimpse of the phantom coach but nothing can be seen, only heard, as it
approaches, passes and recedes into the distance.

Tanbar, one of the great stations in the west, boasts two separate ghost stories‑ one vague and fragmented and the other supported by a wealth of evidence. The first concerns the Tarquoh Waterhole, 100 kilometres from Tanbar homestead. There, it is claimed, a stockman went out one night to catch a little wild pig for his dinner. A flash flood came down and he drowned. His ghost reputedly haunts the waterhole.

The second involves the disappearance of a young man named Rody Kennedy in 1922. Kennedy was working at the Gilpippie Outstation on Tanbar at the time of his disappearance. Suspicion fell on the outstation’s blacksmith, Joe, who was known to have threatened Kennedy. An inquest was held, but without a body there was insufficient evidence to charge anyone. The police file was stamped ‘Unsolved’ and set aside.

Stockmen on Tanbar refused to camp near the waterhole at the outstation after that and even those stationed there in the complex of sturdy buildings were afraid to go outside at night. All believed that Kennedy’s ghost was abroad and seeking revenge for his murder.

In the 1930s Doug McFarlane took over the management of Tanbar. Joe the blacksmith was still there and McFarlane asked him outright if he had murdered Rody Kennedy. ‘No I didn't,’ Joe insisted, ‘but I know who did.’ The blacksmith died without revealing any more of his secret and that might well have been the end of the affair but for a gruesome discovery Doug McFarlane made in 1956. When the old blacksmith’s shed at the outstation was being demolished, McFarlane uncovered a shallow trench beside the forge. In it was the smashed and burned skeleton of a man. Kennedy immediately sprang to mind.

After twenty years on Tanbar, discussing the murder with many people who had been there at the time and with the discovery of the body by the forge, McFarlane concluded that a much older man, whose young wife Kennedy had been paying too much attention to, had probably killed him and Joe, the blacksmith, had helped him by disposing of the body. To this day old stockmen on Tanbar will speak in whispers about the Gilpippie ghost and still avoid the waterhole at night.

Another of the great pastoral estates of the west is Hammond Downs east of Windorah, which also lays claim to two ghost stories. Hammond Downs homestead overlooks treacherous Cooper Creek and nearby are the graves of some of the creek’s many victims.

One is a young man named Easton who, like the Tarquoh stockman, was drowned in a flash flood. Easton’s mother, it is said, watched helplessly as her son and four others were swept away. His grave, marked by a modest wooden fence, stands on a sandhill near Easton's Channel, named in his memory. Dust storms bury it and floods inundate it but it survives as a grim reminder to others of the perils of Cooper Creek. Many claim to have seen Easton’s ghost in the form of a light circling around the fence.

Young Easton is not, however, the most famous ghost on Hammond Downs. That distinction belongs to Edward Hammond (1848-1889), son of the first Hammonds in the district. Ned was an accomplished horseman who went out alone one day to round up some horses. In what is called the Wallaroo paddock his own horse slipped in a clay pan, throwing him to the ground.

There are two versions of how Ned Hammond was found. The most likely tells of a search party finding him with a fractured spine trying to crawl home and his brother John riding 300 kilometres to fetch the nearest doctor but finding Ned dead on his return.

The other version claims Ned managed to remount and the horse found its own way home. Along the way Ned fell from the horse again but one boot remained caught in a stirrup. Ned was dragged many kilometres, his head hitting the stony ground until, by the time the horse limped into the homestead, it was dragging a headless corpse.

Ned Hammond was buried near the homestead beside his infant daughter, Mary, who had died eight years before, and some say that his ghost still rides the windy plain where he suffered his fatal fall. The ghostly horse and rider have been seen in the beam of car headlights and heard galloping around camps at night.

The story is passed from one generation of jackaroos to the next and the new chums are warned to watch out for the ‘old boss’. ‘How will we know him?’ they invariably ask. ‘Oh you’ll know him all right,’ the old hands reply, ‘he ain’t got no ‘ead!’

A curious twist to this story that is published here for the first time comes from a Charleville resident who for the past twenty-odd years has been working the opal mine established by the Hammonds about 100 kilometres south of Hammond Downs. From time to time the part-time miner and his family hear the sound of a horse galloping up to the hut they occupy at the mine and a rider dismounting, but when they go out to investigate there’s no rider, no horse and no tracks.

Could this also be the ghost of old Ned Hammond?

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2022, 12:52:20 AM »
A GHOST AT WOLLOMBI

A rather incredible tale has been narrated by several persons from Wollombi, whilst in Maitland during the assizes. The statement has been corroborated so far that the woman who says she had been favored with a visit from a denizen of another world is known to reside at the Quarrybolong estate, and in the cottage which is referred to.

The story runs thus : —

A woman named Laskett, shortly after her arrival in the country, some three years since, went and took up her abode in a hut on the estate, the property of Mr. Close. Frequently Mrs. Laskett imagined that she saw a
something which she could not describe, apparently playing at hide and seek behind the trees, and then around the hut, but having no belief in ghosts she put it down as an optical delusion.

Within the last six months, however, this mysterious something assumed a more natural form. At first it appeared like a bundle of woman's clothes, suspended in the air, and used to delight in hovering over a water-hole in the creek, a little distance from Mrs. Laskett's hut; but the momentary fear and trepidation which was occasioned by this apparation having subsided, nothing more was thought of it.

At last, the woman's clothes when next seen, were on an apparently aged female ; her face was pale and wan, and miserable to look upon. Lifting up one of her hands she beckoned Mrs. Laskett to follow her; but flesh and blood could not stand the fright, and the poor woman had fainted.

Night after night this ghostly visitor appeared, but fright prevented Mrs. Laskett from obeying her injunction. At length she determined upon the next visit to muster up courage enough to address the ghost, and ask her why she continued to haunt her.

The next night came and at the usual hour the ghost appeared, looking a shade more miserable than on previous occasions. Mustering up courage, Mrs Laskett said 'Who are you?' The ghost then told her that her name was — , and that many years ago she resided in that hut, that whilst there she had been foully murdered by — , and beckoning with her hand said, '' Follow me." Mrs. Laskett followed, and was taken down to this waterhole over which she had so often seen the strange sights. The ghost was silent till arriving at the hole, when turning round she said, "My body is there,' and disappeared. Since then Mrs Laskett had not been troubled with her visitor. Not knowing what to think of this apparition and discovery, she decided upon asking the advice of her neighbours.

The story created some excitement, and this excitement was increased when, upon searching the records of the Wollombi police court it was discovered that a woman named — , had resided in that hut, and that she had disappeared in a most mysterious manner. A private inquiry, we are told, was held, and Mrs. Laskett was questioned and cross-questioned, but her story was in no way shaken. They were unable, however, to test its truth, by searching for the supposed body in the water-hole, in consequence of the quantity of water at present in it, but intend, we believe, doing so when it subsides. We are also told that the person who was named as the murderer is still residing in the district.

What makes this strange story "more wondrous strange," is the fact of Mrs. Laskett being only a new band in the colony, and therefore unacquainted with either the names of the former occupants of her house or with the circumstances of this mysterious disappearance of an aged woman.

Published by Illawarra Mercury Wollongong, NSW Mon 28 Sep 1857

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2022, 12:57:23 AM »
APPIN ROAD GHOST

In 1882 I was working at the brickyards at the Sugarloaf Tunnel, about four miles from Campbelltown. On one occasion I went to Sydney, and returned to the Campbelltown Railway Station about midnight. I did not relish the idea of taking a short cut through private property on my way home, on account of cattle dogs, so I decided to go by way of Appin road.

I got through the sliprails at Abe Reach’s farm and then began to walk through the iron-barks. In the darkness ahead I noticed a man on a white horse. However, I followed on behind thinking it might be Mr Reach rounding up the cow’s for early milking. But, presently, when we passed a couple of cow’s and the rider paid no attention to them, I thought that was rather strange.

In order to attract his attention I commenced to whistle. I thought he would turn his head when he heard me whistling. But he did nothing of the kind. He simply vanished a moment or so later. At that precise spot there was not a tree or even a bush to hide him. Still, I thought he must be somewhere in the vicinity looking for cattle, and dismissed him from my mind. Then I went home and forgot all about the rider.

Some months later, my father, mother, uncle, and myself hired a spring cart to take us to Campbelltown. Returning after midnight in that vehicle along the Appin road, we passed through the first lot of sliprails. We had proceeded about 300 yards along the track when a man on a white horse rode alongside the cart. My father said, "Good morning!" but he received no reply. He said no more to the man until we got to the second lot of sliprails. We all saw him quite distinctly; he was tall and thin and dressed in greyish coloured clothes, at least, that was my impression in the darkness.

On arrival at the rails our cart stopped, but the rider kept right on. My father called out to him: "Hold on, mate!" However, the man had disappeared. He had completely vanished. My father told me to go down and see if he had fallen in the creek, but when I got there I saw neither man
nor horse.

Published by The World's News Sydney, NSW Wed 26 Jan 1938

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2022, 01:02:42 AM »
NORTH SYDNEY POLICE STATION GHOST

The North Sydney Police Station door is in two sections, upper and lower. At night the lower part is closed and bolted. Through the open aperture above a caller can poke his head and speak to the constable in charge. But there are not many callers after midnight, at least, not of the type who are allowed to stand outside and look in. They are generally guests for whom the lower part of the. door is opened and the cell-door shut. As a rule the senior-constable on night duty has a lonely and a weary vigil. But, the other night, at this station, the monotony was broken in somewhat unusual fashion.

A senior constable sat on his seat at a desk fighting drowsiness with work, his nodding head recording its protest. There was not a prisoner in the cells, not a soul about apparently. Occasionally the industrious constable's pen scratched, more often the weakness of the flesh let his head droop and his eyes almost close.

But all his jaded energies woke suddenly to life as an unusual sound caught his ear. His body stiffened, and with ear bent he listened to catch the faintest sound. The  noise occurred again. There was a soft cautious rustling, a little creak, and then a faint scratching as of a rough bolt being moved. And the sounds came from the direction of the bolt on the station door, hidden from his sight by a second desk.

The officer's revolver was nearby, he grasped it. Through his mind flashed a dozen thoughts: "Could it be, some constable playing a joke?— Never”

“ Could it be a call from a desperately wounded resident after a struggle with one of the ubiquitous North Shore burglars?— Perhaps."

“ Could it be a burglar tired of the childishly easy, game of breaking into houses in the northern suburbs, who actually wanted to have a go at the station?" He didn't answer, the last mental question, but grasped the revolver more tightly and made a dive for the door.

There was no one there. He went outside. There was not a soul about. He looked round corners, but with no result. Then he entered the station again, rebolted the door, and resumed his seat, but no longer was he drowsy. The uncanny sound was soon repeated. It was the sort of sound that creeps along one's spine this time. It was stealthy, it was soft, and again the chafing of the bolt followed by a cautious rustle. This time, with revolver ready, the constable crept under the shelter of the desk to the door. Nothing physical met his gaze. Twice that night was the experience repeated, the soft rustle, the stealthily moving bolt.

And now the tale goes round that the North Sydney Police Station is haunted. Some swear it is the ghost of a burglar who, after making a handsome income by his hauls in the district, died uncaught and seeks expiation as a spirit Inhabitant of the cells. But others say it was only the wind blowing against the loosely held door.

Published by The Sun Sydney, NSW Sun 12 Jan 1913

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2022, 01:09:01 AM »
GLENBROOK GHOST

When a child, I was warned against using a track near where now stands the Glenbrook railway station. I thought the restriction was due to the condition of the track. My parents were averse to having me frightened, and although I had heard whispers about a ghost in that vicinity, they would not permit the subject to be discussed within my hearing.

I was a child of 12, and rather wayward, so, when mounted on my pony to visit a small friend, I took the forbidden track. Suddenly my pony stopped dead with a terrified snort, and reared a little. A cold terror seized me at that moment, for ahead was a wraith-like figure.

I might have taken it for a real man, although, very wan and sickly, but I distinctly remember the uncanny effect of being able to see the bushes and trees on the other side of his body. The figure was that of a man with a clipped, pointed beard, who seemed to have come up the rocky path from the gully. A ghost-like arm went up, as if to hail me. The pony whipped around and bolted, squealing with terror. I nearly fell off but hung on for about a hundred yards, when, never having securely regained my seat, I dropped off. Horror seized me as Toby galloped away.

Rising to my feet I somehow staggered after the pony although badly hurt by the fall. I must have fainted. When my pony reached home, sweat-covered, a search was made for me. I awakened to find myself being carried home.

Eventually I learned for the first time that this ghostly figure had been seen by others. And that was the reason why I had been warned against using the track.  My account corroborated other stories which had occasioned considerable alarm in the little mountain community. Next day police arrived at Glenbrook and started digging in the gully, when the body of Lee Weller, a victim of the Butler murders, was found, and an explanation for the ghost seemed to be given.

The "Star," predecessor of "The Sun," told the story of the Glenbrook Ghost in connection with the murder
reports. The "Star," however, was regarded as a sensation-seeking paper, and the ghost story was allowed to be forgotten. Several old Glenbrook residents claim to have seen Lee Weller's ghost.

Published by The World's News Sydney Wed 26 Jan 1938

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2022, 01:18:43 AM »
THE HOSPITAL GHOST

The following remarkable story was told to me a few days back by a lady who was some time ago the inmate of a Sydney hospital. I repeat the story for the reason that it demonstrates a theory I have long held, namely, that under certain physical conditions of the body the mental faculties acquire abnormal powers of perception. I have used the term 'mental faculties' for lack of a better, and in order that I may not wander into the region of abstruse words, the meanings of which are not generally understood.

Mrs. B had been a patient at the hospital for a considerable time. Her case was a serious one, but, contrary to the expectations of doctors and nurses, she survived an operation which was only resorted to as a last chance. When the incident I am about to relate happened, she was convalescent, and about to return to her home.

Waking one night with a feeling of thirst, and not seeing the night nurse about, she was patiently awaiting her return, when, as she thought, she heard the door of the ward, which was hidden from her view by a screen, opened gently. Almost immediately a tall woman, with short black hair and a pale complexion, stepped from behind the screen.

There were two things about her which particularly struck Mrs. B. The first was that she had remarkably heavy dark rims round her eyes, as though she had been long and seriously ill. The second was that, being a woman, she naturally took notice of what the other wore, and saw that it consisted of a long grey wrapper trimmed with black braid, which was worked into a peculiar pattern.

'Aha’ thought Mrs. B., as the midnight intruder stood as though, in doubt whether to proceed or retire, 'you had better not let the nurse catch you wandering about like this, or there will be trouble for you.' Whatever her business was, she had evidently made up her mind to proceed, for, gathering her skirt round her with one hand, she advanced slowly down the centre of the ward, pausing every few steps, was though she were trying to remember something. One point about her that particularly struck Mrs. B. was the kindly expression of her countenance, more especially of the eyes, which were dark and soft.

At last she paused beside an unoccupied bed, and raising the pillow, appeared to be looking for something beneath it. Next she opened the door of the little safe that stood beside the bed and carefully examined the interior. She evidently, did not find what she sought, for, closing the door, and raising her hand to her forehead, she stood with a puzzled expression on her face.

It was when she once again started on her slow walk that Mrs. B. first noticed anything peculiar about her. As she drew near, she seemed to be walking a few inches above the surface of the floor, and not on it. Then she observed that the lower part of the woman's body was slowly fading away, until it had entirely disappeared below the waist. The upper portion, however, kept slowly advancing, and as Mrs. B. observed, with the rhythmic motions of head and shoulders as of one walking.

Strange to say, Mrs. B states that she felt not the slightest fear. The apparition was so gentle and kindly in its appearance that it would have been impossible to feel horror of it. When at last it was within a few feet of her bed, one of the other patients coughed loudly. In an instant the vision, or whatever it was. vanished. The sequel is perhaps the strangest part of the story.

On the following day Mrs. B heard a conversation on the telephone, and, with the characteristic curiosity of the invalid, wanted to know what it was about. 'Oh, it was only someone ringing up for poor Miss L.'s things. I'll just run and get them and you might help me pack them. It will be something for you ro do,' replied the nurse, hurrying away.

She returned a few minutes carrying a small portmanteau and several articles of woman's wearing apparel, amongst which Mrs. B at once recognised the wrapper worn by the apparition of the night before. Not being herself a superstitious woman, and fearing ridicule should she relate what she had seen, she kept silence about the ghostly visitor. But, being deeply interested in learning all she could about the late owner of the wrapper, she questioned the nurse closely regarding her, and learned that Miss L — for that was her name — had come to the hospital in the first instance suffering from the effects of typhoid. After a protracted illness, and when everybody thought she was on way to a complete recovery, grave complications developed, necessitating an immediate operation, from the effects of which she had succumbed three days previously.

'She was the dearest creature, and the best patient we ever had here,' said the nurse enthusiastically. 'Do you know, when she was convalescent, just before the operation, she occupied a bed in your ward. Poor thing, when she was dying she asked for a letter she said was left under the pillow of her bed in your ward, and seemed to fret a great deal when it could not be found.'

Mrs. B concluded her story somewhat  illogically by remarking : 'Of course, you know, I don't believe in ghosts ; but I saw one that night. Of that I am quite confident.

Published by Sunday Times (Sydney, NSW Sun 30 Sep 1906

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2022, 06:55:00 PM »
Hello Headless some great discoveries I know where the Wollombi, story took places in 1857 great story.

The hospital one is excellent but i do not have much to go one Miss L.'s and around 1906 typhoid.

Glembrook one I heard before was great as I have not hear that version? I have some more on the north Sydney police station.

Well done amigo my appreciated.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal