Author Topic: The Princess Theatre Apparition: Launceston: TAS  (Read 163 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The Princess Theatre Apparition: Launceston: TAS
« on: May 11, 2022, 01:41:41 PM »
Ah gather around once again old Kanacki has a yarn for ye. In Australia it seems old pubs, jails, asylums traditionally are places for tormented ghosts to haunt. Well added to that list theaters and movie cinema?

The theatre was originally designed and built by Mr Marino Lucas, a vaudeville entrepreneur from Hobart. The backstage area was still incomplete when the theatre opened in 1911, so instead of live shows, silent films were shown. This proved to be so lucrative that the Theatre operated as a cinema until 1970.

Internationally renowned dancer and choreographer Janet Vernon danced at the Princess Theatre in Launceston when it opened for live performances 50 years ago. She graced the stage as a member of the Australian Ballet during the opening gala ceremony."I can't believe it's 50 years ago, I was so young then but it's like the blink of an eye," she said.

"I certainly remember performing in the theatre and we've come back many, many times since then with Sydney Dance Company and it's just a beautiful theatre to work in."

Vernon has returned, as a creative associate of the latest dance performance at the venue, to help the theatre celebrate 50 years of live performance. She said not all her memories of the venue were fond ones.
"Freezing, there wasn't heating, I remember being so cold waiting in the wings to go on," she said. "It always had an atmosphere and we always felt there was a ghost in the theatre?

And indeed stories did float around the actors performing there that theatre was haunted?

To be continued....

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: The Princess Theatre Apparition: Launceston: TAS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 01:43:44 PM »
The ghostly happenings are:

1…Mysterious scratching sounds

2…Sudden drop in temperature

3…Music playing from a piano (no-one is seen playing the piano)

4…An apparition of a man (maybe its Max Oldaker spirit)

5…Heavy footsteps have also been heard

Max’s spirit is said to still resides at the Theatre, he was an actor (a promising one at that) Born 1907,Died 1972 When max past away, paranormal incidents started happening…. could this be max, performing one more time?

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »
Max Oldaker was born on December 17, 1907 in Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. He was an actor, known for The Tempest (1963), Mozart (1936) and 1066: And All That (1939). He died on February 1, 1972 in Launceston, Tasmania.

Max died of heart failure in his home town of Devonport in 1972 at the age of 64. In nearby Launceston the Princess Theatre has a tribute wall for Max, with memorabilia and photographs.

It is his presence that is believed to haunt the The Princess Theatre?

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:16:16 AM »
Here is a picture of Max Oldaker with a young Julie Andrews below. He was famous Australian Tasmanian actor that I to be honest I never heard of? For those guests that cannot see the pictures I suggest signing up to the forum to get an amazing insight into haunted Australia.

Does his ghost really haunt the old building?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 12:17:57 AM »
Here is the picture below. Dummy hear forgot to add the picture to the post. ::)

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal