Author Topic: The Ginninderra Creek Spook: Canberra: ACT  (Read 2180 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The Ginninderra Creek Spook: Canberra: ACT
« on: September 07, 2020, 11:21:59 PM »
There is a story going around Canberra that tells of a haunting of a strange spook on Ginninderra Creek, a small creek that winds its way through suburbia then out into the bush on the north western side of the city.

In the old days of Canberra the creek ran through a large sheep station called Ginninderra, hence the name of the creek.

Back in the late 1890s a squatter was trying to cross the creek late on a rainy night. The poor man slipped and was dragged under by the rain water flooded creek. His body was later found 500 metres downstream by some station hands and shearers caught under some woody debris.

The site of this tragic event is on Ginninderra drive near where it intersects with Tilyard drive in Charnwood. The crossing no longer exists but a pedestrian footbridge over the creek sits very close to the original site. Many people walking or jogging at night have witnessed a strange glowing but wispy figure standing by the edge of the creek.

Some people have walked past and then looked back only to notice that the figure has disappeared. Some people have even seen the shape from their car when driving home late at night.

Some say it looks like a man dressed in an overcoat with a large hat, others say it looks like a woman in a flowing dress. Whatever the case the apparition appears to be indistinct and open to interpretation? The ghost has been reported numerous times and with the area becoming more popular with walkers and joggers.

For those who cannot see the picture below I suggest joining this amazing forum to have a deeper insight to haunted places in Australia.

To be continued......

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: The Ginninderra Creek Spook: Canberra: ACT
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
Here is another picture of the site of the alleged haunting.

For those guest unable to see the picture I suggest signing up to this forum. To see interesting insights into haunted locations in Australia.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:44:30 AM »
There is also a strange story of joggers seeing in evening and early morning before dawn an eerie glowing light the indistinct shape of a small child?

The Canberra Times dated Friday 4th of December 1981. A two year old toddler was found drowned in the creek.

Is the strange apparition allegedly sighted by joggers a ghost of a confused child not knowing their dead?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:53:31 AM »
Whats is interesting in regards to the squatter who drowned? He died with another person.

As you can see in the following newspaper Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal Dated Wednesday 21 September 1892 below. For those guest who cannot see the picture I suggest joining the wonderful forum community to get an amazing pictorial insight into alleged haunted places in Australia.

Getting back to the two that drowned in 1892. Why did one pass on and the other became a ghost?

Does it come down to what state of mind your at at the time of death?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
Your very astute question KANACKI "Why did one pass on and the other became a ghost?", is a real tricky one as there are various factors, which are necessary to accurately answer what some may see as an apparently simple question on the surface.

I hope your next Post will perhaps provide some of the factors, I need to answer your question KANACKI, which I love. 
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
Perhaps in the process of drowning the process of death is delusional? For example as the lungs fills with water starving lungs heart and brains of oxygen the body as we could imagine go into shock at point of death where the spirit is now separated from physical body in death. So come to realize at the point of death they are drowning others do not? Perhaps they are under delusion they are still alive?

Now in the case of the two men drowning at same time. One had realized they was drowning and the other did not and perhaps never even realized he had parted from his physical body in death?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 07:49:19 PM »
Still an interesting place with a sad history.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »
It is a site anyone can visit. And who knows you might just encounter the unexplained?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
As you say KANACKI, a very interesting site to visit for those interested in the paranormal.

I am very much in awe of the number and depth that you have presented to this Forum in relation to Australian Hauntings, congratulations my friend.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 11:14:09 AM »
Hello Simon

Many thanks my friend. I an just pleased we have this wonderful site to show case Australian hauntings as we can see we have many stories of our own.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal