Author Topic: The Transformation Of Simon2 – Part Two: My Journey: My Teenage Years: Chapter 2  (Read 875 times)

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Good morning my friend and thank you for being here once again to help me recount my life, but not in detail.

"...I am so glad, I could not imagine that the detail is all glowing..". You are spot on, but some detail of my life, which is very sad, has to be faced.

Now for the good and, for me, some bad news.

The 1963 School Holidays, was very emotionally charged, with Mum and Dad discussing what to do about my Scholarship as we were just a working-class family on one, sometimes two (Mum used to clean a couple of houses), incomes, so a lot had to be discussed.

On my part, I was still selling newspapers, but had a chance to mow one of the newsagents lawns and also work for the Chemist Shop just one shop up; if only I had a bicycle?

Working for Dad had had to wait another 12 months as I was not strong enough (according to Dad).
With all this in play I said that if they helped me get a bicycle, I would pay it of weekly, with all the money I would get from my 3 part-time Jobs, which was agreed.

I also said that I would help by any books, pay for excursions and uniforms, when needed.

The Other part of the agreement, which I wasn't happy about, was that if I looked after the 2 youngest children during school holidays, next year at the earliest, my parents would agree to me continuing my schooling.

I was so excited, but as my current school only went to Form 3, where would I go then?

My parents were also interested in the answer. Thinking on my feet, as I did and still do (gut feel, I call it), I said the local High School, where my State School friends went too.

The agreement was set and I was so excited, I didn't ask myself the key question, "Why Me and not my older brother?".

I remember Mum being so excited for me and that was an event, which brought us both closer emotionally, while Dad was, well just Dad.

I'm sure my older brother and sister were happy for me, but am unable to confirm this as I honestly can't remember.

By the end of 1963, my older sister had been married for a few years and had a child, while my brother, who was still at home, was a year into his apprenteship and charting his own Life Journey.

I was also by now starting to unconsciously learn how to, what psychologists called, wear a different "Mask" for all occassions. One for Home, School, Friends, etc., although I wouldn't learn about these until my undergraduate studies..   

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal