Author Topic: Ghosts of Mt Kembla and Windy Gully  (Read 13983 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Re: Ghosts of Mt Kembla and Windy Gully
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »
Going back to the story of the alleged ghost John Wilson in 1908 who drowned in the dam at Kembla heights?

Here is and old picture of it below.....

And now modern day picture of the same dam now a over grown swamp almost nothing like it was back in the days of John Wilson's suicide. Its amazing how time places can become ghost of themselves? one looking at the modern Photo can't imagine one being able to drown oneself there?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:37 PM »
Just a then and now picture of the early settlement of Kembla heights

Picture around 1900 and picture of the place today below.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
And here is pictures of the mine before the explosion and another one after .....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
And of windy gully which was on the saddle between Mt Kembla and the escarpment?

A poem dedicated to those who lost their lives in the mine disaster.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
And of windy gully's silly urban myth of satanist rituals. Some silly immature idiot set fire to one of the three remaining miner shacks. The one that was burn't down damaged another sparked the rumors of satanists as some vandal had sprayed a pentacle on the wall. Sparking the urban myth of devil worship there.

It this silliness and vandalism that is so despised by the residents who have to put up this The fourth one for years was a ruins. However the 3 could of been saved as they a classic insight into life back in the early 1900's used mainly as single men's quarters usually one room shacks.

Yet with neglect the two other look set to fade into history....

Here is a pictures below of the miners shacks  and now whats left.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »
Ironic is it not, that most of the history of Mt Kembla is focused on that one single terrible event in 1902, the mine disaster. But the fact remains that suffering continued long after such event and murders happened long after those events.

Take for example the following newspaper story....

In the Golburn Evening Penny Post below dated 31 of October 1938 reported the death of a women and her husband badly injured? There was speculation that was it murder?

What was the story??? At present I just do not know

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
In 1961 a 49 year old women murdered her 41 year old husband in Kembla Heights. As you can see in the Canberra Times 13th of February 1861. The small settlement always had its fair share of vices and domestic abuse. Was she the victim of abuse that just had enough and fought back? One thing for sure Mt Kembla is a mountain charged with emotions.

Does this pent up emotion energy influence manifestations of ghosts?

One thing I think you will all agree Mt Kembla one of sisters of the wind keeps her secrets well.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
Below is an amusing newspaper story relevant to the teenagers in car visiting the place late at night today.

In the Illawarra Mercury Friday may 1916 a bunch of drunken hoodlums murdered every song known to man at the time. Much to the annoyance of the residents. So from this we can see a long history of young people and not so young attracted to the mysteries of the mountain.

Kanacki

Offline ezzmay2000

• Inductee
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
I have been trying to do some research on the nearby Hill 60 fortifications in Wollongong - also reported to be haunted but I'm having no luck confirming anything in that area. There seems to be some urban legend about four murdered sex workers but when I looked into it there is nothing that links these poor women to the site itself.  Just curious as to whether anyone has investigated this site and come up with any evidence?

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
Hello ezzmay

Thankfully that HILL 60 story is a more recent urban myth with the Sex workers. However a terrible gang rape took place on 14 year old girl in 2011. She was drugged elsewhere and taken into the tunnels and repeatedly raped by several men.

Sadly the old military installation from WW2 has become the hangout for drug addicts and low life. people have defecated and urinated in the tunnel and all the walls are spray painted. Various Government have neglected the site in which for me is a national disgrace. before WW2 Hill 60 was once the home of displaced aboriginals who struggled with identity and displaced by the racism of the day. Until finally they was pushed out from there and in 1939 the military became to build gun emplacements.

The settlement at hill 60 had a long history of poverty, destitution, alcoholism, sexual abuse and domestic violence as it was the home of the out casts of society and yet there is no recorded record of a murder taken place there. Yet mainstream society at the time around the affluent areas did have murders.

In 1939 5 fisherman drowned in boating accident as they set off in high seas from Perkins beach hill 60 to rabbit island. 1 drowned the 4 others were presumed drowned as there bodies was never recovered.

In the 1980s or 1990 destitute heroine addict overdosed and died in the tunnel. Perhaps a combination of all of above has been woven into the fabric the urban myth we hear today.

As for Port Kembla sex workers being murdered only two I have heard of? One Maria Scott she was murdered at the Triple care farm at knights hill by a man who later killed himself. and another women in the 1990? Her name escapes me. She was allegedly murdered because of a drug deal gone wrong her body was found the roadside dumping ground at the infamous Murder mile. ( See Posts on the ghosts of the Murder Mile )

Kanacki

Offline ezzmay2000

• Inductee
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Thanks Kanacki for the excellent information :) I will definatley check out that post.

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
Hello Ezzmay

Its my pleasure. These somewhat sad stories that are passing into history and folklore should not be forgotten. The memory of these tragic lives is a lesson for all of us in our own travels through life.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »
I wonder if more people have had strange encounters in the area?

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal