Author Topic: The Wandering Chinese Ghosts of Ballarat: VIC  (Read 2626 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The Wandering Chinese Ghosts of Ballarat: VIC
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:10:52 AM »
To Chinese have a long history in Australia dating back to days of the Victorian gold rush. Ah Coon was different from many of the Chinese miners who came to Australia during the gold rush. He was able to speak English and he acted as interperator between the two cultures.

Ah Coon lived at golden point at the diggings as with many of his fellow miners. Conditions at the gold fields was horrific any many diggers died of disease accidents and murder. In the early days Chinese dead was buried with Australian dead at the time. The colonial authorities unable understand the cultural differences between a Chinese burial and and a Australia christian burial.

It was late at night in his hut Ah Coon because torment. Banging on the timber floor of his hut awoke him at night. Going out side he was awestruck in fear was parade of dead Chinese miners begging him to get proper burial rights for this countrymen.

In the picture below is the digging near Ballarat where these haunting occurred.

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Re: The Wandering Chinese Ghosts of Ballarat: VIC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
KANACKI I await, with interest, the next part of the Story, although I think I know the direction it is going to take.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
Hello Simon

Its kinda of a predictable story. Ah  Coon was getting haunted by the ghosts of Chinese dead miners wishing to convey their displeasure at funeral practices. Ah coon thought he was going mad and reported the incidents to the local police magistrate.

He promised the ghosts to build a fireplace and chimney  and the ghosts bothered him no more.

But it wasn't the first time he had a ghostly encounter on the gold fields.

The story was reported in the Newspaper below.

For those guest that cannot see it. I suggest you sign up to this wonderful form.

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:10 AM »
Hello Simon

He did have an earlier encounter a ghost cat that told him in Chinese that fellow countryman was lying dead in long gully.

Perhaps the Ah Coon was able to see ghost more than the average person?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Strange enough other stories of Chinese ghosts circulated around the gold fields. One such story is ghostly skeleton in rags pushing a hand cart with Chinese lantern hanging off a pole. Late at night one could hear the sound of cart being pushed along the lonely back roads of the gold fields. To the Chinese this ghost was harbinger of death. The grinning skeleton in rags with a Chinese hat would collect the Chinese dead who died of disease on the gold fields. To see such a spirit to us westerners is like seeing the grim reaper.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Hi KANACKI, I agree with your conclusion that Ah Coon had a very strong ability to see Spirits and being very sensitive and caring in the plight of these Spirits carried out their requests, thus helping them to pass over to the Spirit World.

A wonderful story KANACKI, it has brought a wonderful feeling in my Spiritual Heart and tears are running down my cheeks.

"We" (my physical and spiritual selves), feel elated about Ah Coon.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
Hello Simon

I am pleased you enjoyed the story. It goes show ghost stories really do spans across cultures.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
Good Morning KANACKI, you are spot-on in relation to similarities in this area across cultures.

The common "Rule" of all living creatures and particularly the Human Life-Cycle (Birth, Living and Death), which means all Human Social Norms, across the World, regarding Death, Life After Death, Ghost Tales, etc.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »
Hello Simon that is an interesting point.

Regardless of race cultural beliefs birth and death we are all linked to the same fate.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal