Author Topic: Cyrill the ghost caretaker of The Royal Oak Hotel: Launceston : TAS  (Read 4088 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Deep in the basement of the Royal Oak Hotel. The air is think with mystery and many people visiting there feel a ghost's presence? Strange things have happened down in the basement.

Strange experiences and sensations of some one or some thing playing with your hair, blasting cold air on peoples necks or making our hands suddenly feel freezing cold, as if we've plunged them into a bucket of water.

Occasionally, interactions are more hostile. One visitor to the basement  was smashed in the back of the head with an empty wine bottle. Doors have slammed open and shut. Who was the mischievous spirit?

Apparently the staff of the 150 year old pub refers him to as Cyrill?

The tale is one of unrequited love between the Royal Oak handyman Cyrill, and lady Elizabeth. It's a story of a bitter jealous banker, a murdering master, and a man that desperately searches for his lost love. It concludes on a drunken stormy night. A night of bloodshed and horror so disturbing, that those involved still exist within the shadows, within the cold stone that forms the foundations of the City of Launceston haunting the old pub?

Is there any truth to such a haunting? Or is it pub tourist haunting hoping to get more punters in buying beers hoping to see a spook?

to be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Re: Cyrill the ghost caretaker of The Royal Oak Hotel: Launceston : TAS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
KANACKI,

This sounds like a similar Post some time back, but I would expect that, as there are all of the elements in relation to unrequited love.

But I will wait until you Post the last piece of the puzzle KANACKI before I provide my response.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
Hello Simon

I reserve the right to use the excuse the dog eat my homework :-)

I will post more on it soon.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
No worries KANACKI, when your Health is better.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »
Hello Simon

What the story is told today is perhaps only part. The The Mercury dated Sat 7 Aug 1897 to the story of the death of a Mr Cox at the rear of the Royal Oak Hotel.

This Cyril if he actually existed may of murdered the following person. Who apparently fell from a horse?

Mr. James Cox, of Clarendon, died at 4 o'clock this morning. On Friday night he was thrown from his horse in the yard of the old Royal Oak Hotel, and being rendered unconscious he lay there till daylight on
Saturday morning, when he was found by a boy lying in a pool of blood.

He was carried to Dr. Johnson's residence, and it was there ascertained that he was
suffering from a severe concussion of the brain, besides an attack of pneumonia brought on by exposure to the stormy weather which prevailed on Saturday morning. Everything possible was done for the patient. 

Mr Cox partially regained consciousness for a time ; but he again relapsed and gradually sank until he expired this morning. When a young man, Mr. Cox came from Victoria and succeeded to the Clarendon estate on the death of his uncle.

In the seventies he took an active interest in horse racing and the breeding of blood stock, importing
some celebrated horses for that purpose, but he disposed of his racing stud, and devoted himself more particularly to sheep breeding,in connection with which and agricultural pursuits generally he was one of the
leading authorities in the colony.

He always took a prominent part in public affairs. As far back as 1874, he represented North Launceston in the House of Assembly, and from 1880 till 1882 he was member for Morven, while at the general election in January of the present year he unsuccessfully contested the Westbury seat against the Hon. Thos. Reibey.

He was for many years a justice of the peace, and a member of the Evandale Council, and
was honoured by being elected Warden in 1895. He was a monitor of the Council of Agriculture from its inception, and always took a leading part in its deliberations. He married Mrs Elizabeth Thirkell, u daughter of the late Mr. Robert Thirkell, who predeceased him about two years ago. Deceased was 56 years of age.

He was wall and favorably known all over tho island, but particularly in tho northern districts, where he will be greatly missed.

Was boy actually Cyril that allegedly found Mr Cox infatuated with Elizabeth Mr Cox's wife. And in a fit of obsessive jealousy murdered him?

Perhaps Cyril for his crime he committed so long ago fears to cross over because of retribution in eyes of 19th century thinking before God?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:53:48 AM »
Hi KANACKI,

As I was reading the additional information you kindly added I did get a feeling as follows,

Cyril did not kill Mr Cox, he as you mentioned ran and got aid.

I have a picture of Mr. Cox in the process of dismounting his horse, a loud noise caused the horse's front to raise up and the front foot of the horse, struck Mr Cox's head as he fell, without any control, beside the horse.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:21 PM »
Hello Simon

Perhaps that is a case? But why is Cyrill still here? Is it just case he never believed he was dead? And it was only a local legend that linked him to Mr cox?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
KANACKI, there may or may not be a relationship between Cox and Cyrill but any connection may take us down the wrong track.

Cyrill, I think, was not murdered but died (in some way) in the cellar. Unfortunately poor Cyrill does not think he is dead and gets quite frustrated when people don't acknowledge him and / or don't see him, something which happens on a regular basis.

Apologies my friend, for giving what I realise is a rather consistent response.

(Confucius)

Offline violet

• Wordweaving Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
Not a sensitive’s insight but what I’d suspect if this were a murder mystery story: it only seemed as if James Cox was concussed by a fall from his horse. In actual fact he was conked on the head by a wine bottle.

Whoever did this remains at the pub and took similar offence to a modern customer’s behaviour, hence the blow to the head. ‘I’ll make you cold,’ the ghost threatens, as visitors shiver, ‘like I did Mr Cox.’

This is pure fiction unlike Simon’s advice. I feel for poor lonely Cyrill. Perhaps one day someone like Simon will help him.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- Goethe

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Hello Violet

Thank you for your version of the possible sequence of events. Anything is possible .

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
Hi Violet, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, which I really enjoyed.

Like yourself I also wish for Cyrill to be moved on, as I do for other Spirits trapped in this "never ending" limbo they are trapped in.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 12:45:38 AM »
Hello Violet and Simon

Thank you for interesting and thought provoking comments.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal