Author Topic: Ghost children of Tanilba house Port Stephens: NSW  (Read 5829 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Ghost children of Tanilba house Port Stephens: NSW
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »
Can ghosts of children be the result of sick children not realizing or comprehending their dead?

There is a old house  up Port Stephens way that is allegedly haunted by the giggles of child opening and slamming of doors and the pitter patter of little feet on the floor boards. One bedroom seems especially active nick named the "Sick Room" And perhaps for good reason as we shall see.

Tanilba house was built by Lt William Caswell in 1831 after he received a grant of fifty acres for his services in the British Admiralty. The house was built by convict labour using local stone and some Sydney sandstone transported as ballast in visiting ships. The blocks of stone were cemented together with mortar made from lime obtained by burning oyster shells.

The house has half-metre thick walls, and decorative quoins that define the building edge and outline the door and window openings, high ceilings, archways and large rooms.

The Caswell's, William and his wife Susan plus their nine children lived in the home for 14 years. Over the last 160 or so years the house has had several owners and is now protected by a permanent preservation order. Other features of the property are a small gaol, stone gazebo and one hundred and seventy year-old olive tree.

Some of the Caswell's difficulties were revealed in the Diaries of Sir Edward Parry who visited them in November 1832 at Tanilba.....

Saturday 17th - In the afternoon I went over with Captain Moffatt and Mr. Stacy to Mr. Caswell's and I certainly never saw so much misery in a family of the same class - one child dead, another dangerously ill, an infant very poorly, and the mother like a walking skeleton - I fear not long for this world. Mr. Stacy is rather apprehensive that the complaint of the children is of a typhoid character.

Since the 1900's the ghost of a young lady with long brown hair and a floor length dress has been seen in the house. It is believed that this apparition is the ghost of Elizabeth Gray, a governess who had lived in the house in the 1830's. She has been seen looking through the French windows gazing across the bay toward Tahlee where there was the Australian Agricultural Co's settlement of over 300 people, it is believed that Elizabeth longed to be at Tahlee as life at Tanilba was very lonely. Her ghost has also been witnessed at the doorway to the front parlor and sitting on the end of a bed.

It is believed Elizabeth died at the house of Typhoid in 1838, two of the Caswell's children also died there they are all buried within the grounds. Its is they that are belived to be still there also haunting the bedroom. George vine Caswell in 1832 two years and a baby boy only 10 days old in 1833.

Tanilba: is an Aboriginal word that means 'place of white flowers'

Perhaps white flowers are  the tears of those who have passed on so young still haunting the old mansion?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Re: Ghost children of Tanilba house Port Stephens: NSW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
KANACKI, a very interesting but sad that the Governess and Children, named in your Posting, have not been able to "move on", for whatever reason.

The Governess won't move as she has a responsibility to look-after the Children who, again for whatever reason also not moved on.

Perhaps, as you have stated in your Post KANACKI, the children are not aware they have passed.

I guess an expert is needed to understand how many children have not passed, along with the Governess.

Based on the findings, write a Report as to how to help these poor spirits, very gently, firstly tell all Spirits the situation they are in and help them move on "All Together", with the help from Spirits from the Spiritual World.

Moving every one of the Spirits in one move has many positive emotional benefits, given the age of the Children.

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:48:16 PM »
Hello Simon

I do have somewhere pictures of the haunted bedroom. I will post them to give you a better picture of the site.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
Hello All

Here is some pictures of the house and the alleged ghost bedroom where the ghosts of governess and children are some times seen.

For those who cannot see any pictures i suggest you join up to the forum. To get a deeper insight into the ghostly lore of our country.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
As you can see from the pictures the place just reeks of history.

Simon perhaps moving every one of the Spirits in one move has many positive emotional benefits, given the age of the Children. A real help in passing over in group together.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
Hi KANACKI,

Thank you, for including the photographs.

For some reason, I got a strange feeling of the House, the question for me to answer, is what triggered this wonderful feeling that passed through me!!

Looked at the other 2 internal Photographs I did not get any feeling, at this point in time. I will go back after I have cleared my mind.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:11:58 AM »
Hello Simon

Which photograph your are referring too?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
Hi KANACKI,

It is the external photograph with the Flag-Pole.

The feeling I got the first time is lacking today, but that is due to a small additional health issue that was found last week.

Please don't worry, I am in good hands. LOL

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »
Hello Simon. Interesting was it outside the house itself or the flag pole that triggered the response?

I have no power in reading into photographs but open to people interpretation of what feel and can see.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
KANACKI, on reflection, there is a question that I cannot answer in the third photograph featuring the smaller bed, I think the smaller child, who died a year later, slept their, but why not a Cot?

The bed has a very sad feel for me!!

The first photograph has negative energy both on the left and right of the Flag Pole.

Overall and how I feel now, the photographs are all sad and I just want cry.

So much loss in and outside a home, which was once a very happy and positive place to live.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
Perhaps your picking up on Elizabeth gray.. Maybe the child shared to same bead with her nursery maid?

Kanacki

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Nice house. It's sad the children haven't moved on.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
Hello Christine perhaps the children never realized they had had died?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »
Hi Christine, your insight is most welcome.

Again, this is a very sad, but common event, made even sadder, as it is children who are lost and need assistance to move on.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 12:44:02 AM »
Hello Christine and Simon do you think the haunting of the nanny still lingers on because of guilt in her perceived failing to cure the sick child she was in charge of?

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal