Author Topic: The chinese Poltergeist Palmer River QLD  (Read 3860 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The chinese Poltergeist Palmer River QLD
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »
They say the old gold mining settlement  of Palmer River now a ghost town itself has its fair share of ghosts.

The most famous ghost on the Palmer River might be better described as a poltergeist. A Chinese tin miner, Ah Quay, worked a claim on Granite Creek. Living beside him was a very old Chinese man suffering from leprosy. Ah Quay cooked meals for the old man and did what he could to make his life bearable until he died.

On advice from the authorities Ah Quay then burned the old man's hut and all his possessions, but apparently the old man's spirit objected. Ah Quay and his offsider, Willy Hip Wah, found themselves in a psychic storm. Sticks, stones, horseshoes and empty tins were hurled at their hut by unseen hands.

Plates, cups and bottles flew around inside, most of them striking Ah Quay. Twice Willy Hip Wah was almost strangled by blankets that seemed to wrap themselves around his throat. Ah Quay sought the help of some European miners nearby, who scoffed at him and said they would come to his hut and sort out the ghost.

All their visit accomplished was to provide more targets for the furious spirit. They ceased scoffing when their horses took fright, lamps were smashed at their feet and fires began spontaneously all over the inside of Ah Quay's hut. All they could do was stand back and watch as the hut went up in flames. Ah Quay remarked, philosophically: Ah well, no matter‑ I burn him, he burn me. All that remained after the blaze was Ah Quay's fowl house, which stood for another twenty years. Willy Hip Wah was the last survivor of this story. He ended up a cook in a Cairns hotel and died at a ripe old age in 1971.

Was the dead Chinese leper angry at his fellow countryman for burning down his shack?

Or did the dead Chinese leper know he was dead? Thus seeing his shack destroyed burned down his friends hut in revenge?

Can a spirit return to haunt the living in spirit of revenge?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: The chinese Poltergeist Palmer River QLD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
Some interesting question can the dead still see the living and in rare case vices their displeasure at things done or changes made to their property whist in the land of living?

The Chinese brought their customs to Australia during the gold rush in how they honor the dead and if its not respected according to custom they can unleash angry spirits.

Is it the ghost of dead or ghost of ones own cultural conscious that haunts the living?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
Was there no ghost at all but Ah Quay's subconscious triggering poltergeist activity?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
Can ones self guilt be strong enough to manifest poltergeist activity?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »
It just goes to show Australia has a marvelous diversity in hauntings. While many in Australia look to ghost stories overseas, few realize we have a wealth of Folklore in Australia.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Apologies KANACKI, but I am taking the opportunity to catch up on Posts I have missed in all areas but starting with you.

I am not getting any feelings from your words and I feel there is a need for more information regarding this specific Case.

One of my major problems is that the "old Chinese man suffering from leprosy", was being looked after by Ah Quay, tending to all the requirements for the old man, until he died.

In fact, without Ah Quay looking after this person, he would have died a terrible and more painful death, whereas it appears he died a more "honourable death", which under Asian Culture, makes Ah Quay a man of great positive energy.

I am trying to find a reason for the old man, after his death become a Poltergeist and raining utensils, fire, etc., at Ah Quay, but cannot find any connection.

At most, if not all gold sites, Chinese were given a hard time and the reason Ah Quay was not targeted by the other people panning for Gold, was the fear they would get Leprosy.

Once the old man died and all his meagre possessions burned, it was "game on" to make Ah Quays life miserable and perhaps later, setting fires.

Could they have gone to the extent of getting friends do the same things to their tents.

Causing more suffering to Ah Quay and also Willy Hip Wah, later.

I am not saying the above is what occurred but provide it as an alternate scenario.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 11:18:50 PM »
Hello Simon

Yes indeed all quite possible. There was a lot of ignorance and fear in regards to leprosy back then. I suspect as you mention Ah Quay was the target for others either through jealousy or greed  or fear wanted to drive Ah Quay who was most likely naturally superstitious away from the mining camp.

But also we do not know in what context the old man was buried. Some Chinese prefer cremation over being buried as they believe cremation is purification of the soul. Perhaps it was Ah Quay own sense of guilt that funeral arrangements was not to custom.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
Hi KANACKI, yes, I agree with your last Post and like yourself, feel that there are a number of missing aspects, which may help to more fully understand what really went on at the camp.

But, unless these aspects come to light, we have to accept the information as it is stated by yourself.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Hello Simon

Yes indeed quite perceptive of you.

I found out just recently. There was ill feeling among the Chinese ethnic groups working at the gold fields. That spilled over into violence.  The principal protagonists was the Cantonese speaking Chinese and the Mandarin Speaking Chinese. It resulted in series of massacres. So ill feeling towards each group carried on years after the blood letting.

Perhaps that is another part of the missing piece of the puzzle?

Kanacki   

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
KANACKI, quite correct and also unfortunately, these clashes happened at nearly every "Gold Panning" Sites.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
Hello Simon

Indeed you are very correct as I have another story from Victoria. I will post some time. The fact remains China has long history of being connected to Australia.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »
KANACKI, I look forward to your Post in Victoria as the Asian's were not well treated at the Gold Panning and Mining areas.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 11:58:51 AM »
Hello Simon

That story was haunting of Chinese ghosts that was not buried to Chinese customs doomed to wander the Victorian gold Fields. I will post a separate post for that one.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »
Hope you had a good weekend KANACKI.

I look forward to your next Post regarding the Chinese Spirit hanging around due to not being buried according to Custom; most interesting.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 12:48:21 AM »
One thing with this story it shows even ghost stories are accepted in all culture? Do we not find it strange all culture believe in ghosts why is that?

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal