Author Topic: Cobb & Co stables, Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne  (Read 880 times)

Offline Jess

• Newcomer
Cobb & Co stables, Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
« on: October 02, 2021, 02:50:46 AM »
There was a car park that I visited on a ghost tour several years ago that had previously been a Cobb & Co depot or stable.  I believe it has now been demolished, but does anyone know exactly where it was?

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Re: Cobb & Co stables, Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:39:02 PM »
Hello Jess

Its was on Little Lonsdale st between Elizabeth and Queen Street. Here is some pictures of the cob and Co cottages and the stables was behind them. Plus here is a picture of the carpark before that was in turn demolished.

I would love to know the story behind the haunting?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
Hello Jess

It should be noted co and co owned 3 properties in a row. The stables on the corner , the coach house that stored coaches and repair shop workshop. And cottages for the employees. Cobb and Co have moved out of them by 1860 and other business used them. The stables lasted to 1950, the coach house and cottages last to 1963 before they was demolished. There is and still is a multistory car park called cobb and co car park reflecting its early history.

There was at least 3 deaths associated in that part of Little Lonsdale street historically. 1 was a baby thought to have been murdered by her mother who was working as a servant and the body was dumped in a water closet in a alley way off the street.

2. There was a young man beaten to death over not paying for a meat pie by 3 drunken friends after a night out binge drinking at a nearby pub called the Stag Inn now demolished.

3. There was women in about 1877 that was living with her children and drunkard of a husband who worked as cooper in the former coach house and lived in the old cobb and co cottage. Heat beat his wife to death when he was drunk because she stepped in the way to protect her daughter from being molested by him.

Kanacki

Offline Jess

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 01:01:03 AM »
So many gruesome stories around that area.  I went on a ghost tour many years ago and that place gave me chills like few other places ever have.

I'm actually a tour guide myself and running a one off ghost tour on Halloween.  I have a passion for history so I've been looking for real stories to include - not just urban legends.  I was hoping to include that one.  I wish I could remember more about what we were told at that location.

I am including the story of Ann Thronton in Somerset Place which you covered so well in another thread here.  I had read a couple of newspaper articles about her already, but you really brought the story to life!

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »
Hello Jess

Thank you for your kind comments. Ann Thronton story is one that does indeed speaks to you and should be told. A sad tale of poverty desperation, passion, murder and retribution all hidden in back streets of todays Melbourne.

Little Lonsdale street has its dark stories of murder and violence strangely although a different era some of their struggles are little different to our own in the 21st century. Domestic  and substance abuse with under lining mental health problems. Over crowding and lack of aspiration lead to the downfall not only to people back then but to people now today.

I really which your the best with your Halloween ghost tour venture. And I hope you inspire people to not only see ghosts but bring to life  the real people who once walked the streets. Who loved hated lived and toiled in those forgotten alleys of old Melbourne.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »
The Argus newspaper (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Wednesday 25 April 1877, page 7

THE LITTLE LONSDALE-STREET MURDER.

The inquest on the body of William Paine, aged 63 years, who was found lying insen-sible with his skull fractured in Little Lonsdale street early on the morning of Wednesday, the 11th inst, was resumed at the Melbourne Hospital yesterday before Dr. Youl, the city coroner. Anthony M Hale, Bernard Delany, and John Cox were present in custody. John Karney, alias Richmond, who had been arrested since the inquest was commenced, was also present in custody. Sub-inspector Montford attended and exa- mined the witnesses on behalf of the Crown. Mr. R. Walsh appeared on behalf of the prisoners Delany and Cox, Mr. Fisher ap-peared for M'Hale, and Mr. Keogh for the prisoner Karney. The following evidence was taken: -

John Courtney, barman at the Exploration Hotel, was recalled, and the evidence given by him at the previous inquiry was read. He identified the fourth prisoner, Karney, as being one of the four persons he saw with the deceased in the bar of the Exploration Hotel and whom he heard the others call Richmond. He knew him by sight, having seen him previously.

Thomas Yates, a pieman, recalled, stated - I was in Little Lonsdale street about half past 1 o'clock on the morning of the 11th inst., and saw the four prisoners. I identify the prisoner Richmond as one of them. When I asked for payment for the potatoes and saveloys they had he was the most abusive. When the prisoners left me they went away together towards the Exploration Hotel. I heard the deceased cry out and went towards the prisoners, who ran off.

Samuel M. Clarke, a mounted constable stationed at the Richmond depot, stated -On the 14th inst. I arrested the prisoner Karney. He was among the piles under-neath the South Yarra railway bridge. I told him the charge, and he said, ' I suppose you want me about that Little Lonsdale street affair.' I cautioned him, and he said, " I know they cannot lag me, for I was standing at the corner of Little Lonsdale-street and Russell-street when the row took place." He afterwards said that he could not deny having been drinking with them during the evening.

Elizabeth Eckersley, a single woman, living in Stephen-street, stated-On the night of the 10th and morning of the 11th I was at the Exploration Hotel in company with Maggie Floyd. I think it was about half-past 12 o'clock. We had some brandy in the passage. I saw a man drinking with the four prisoners in the parlour. They went out of the house by the back door into the right-of-way. Floyd and I went out by the side door into Little Lonsdale street.

I saw the four prisoners and the other man standing at the corner of the right-of-way as I passed. Soon after I saw the man whom I did not know leave the prisoners and walk towards Russell street. Floyd stopped to talk with a friend, and in a few minutes she called out, "Oh, the man has fallen down, come and help him." I did not see him fall, but when I looked he was lying in the road. I then went home, and in a few minutes re-turned to the corner of Evans lane, off Little lonsdale street. I there saw the four prisoners eating some food. The pieman Yates was rowing with them about the payment.

Yates had something in his hand and one of the prisoners said, " he has got a poker " and they all ran away. I went up Evans-lane, and when I returned I saw a pieman with the man, who was still lying in the street. I have known the four prisoners for a long time. I never made any statement to Sergeant Dalton about this matter. I do not remember if Sergeant Dalton asked me any questions with respect to the death of Paine.

To the Coroner -I can write. I did not write a letter to you. Margaret Floyd, a single woman living in Evans lane, off Little Lonsdale street, stated,-I was in comoany with the last wit-ness about half past 12 o'clock on the morn-ing of the 11th inst. We went to the Ex-ploration Hotel, and had some brandy. While in the hotel I saw the four prisoners and an elderly man drinking beer in the parlour. Soon after leaving the hotel, I was talking to a friend, and saw the prisoners go to where the pieman was standing.

The old man walked away in the opposite direction. I saw him fall off the kerbstone into the street. He appeared to be very drunk, and was sneezing and struggling as if he had a fit. At the time the man fell the prisoners were with the pieman disputing about the pay-ment of some pies. I saw the pieman gallop his horse up to where the prisoners were standing and then they ran away.

John Thomas Costello, a constable, re- called, stated -I arrested Delaney on the morning of the 11th inst. When confronted with Cox and M'Hale, he said he did not know them and had not been in their com-pany that evening.

This closed the evidence.

Mr. Walsh contended that there was not the slightest evidence against the prisoners Delaney or Cox, and it would be only putting the country to a useless expense to send them up for trial.

After retiring for about an hour the jury brought in a verdict that on the 11th inst. the deceased William Paine met with his death by violence at the hands of the four prisoners. The prisoners were then com-mitted for trial at the next Criminal Sessions commencing on the 15th prox.

In connexion with this matter Dr. Youl has received the following letter. Another, believed to be in the same handwriting, has been received at the Police department:-" Sunday Morning April 22 1877 "Dr. Youl

"Dr Sir-With respect to the recent murder of the man named Payne in Little Lonsdale street E M I has a citizen would request you to postpone the inquiry for 7 days longer has during the week I will be able to put you in possession of much in-formation has will enable the jury to deliver an open verdict. Trusting you will see the necessity of the above request.

" I Remain " Dr Sir Respectfully Yours " S S W M

"N.B. The reason for not telling you my address in full is to keep members of the police and detective force woring me for the purpose of making enquiries but has soon has my link of evidence is complete I will with the greatest pleasure forward it to you.

' Dr Youl City Coroner Collins st E M."

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal