Author Topic: Ghost on Atchinson St Wollongong: NSW  (Read 1629 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Ghost on Atchinson St Wollongong: NSW
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:34:20 PM »
The Following story was told to me many years ago from a friend of mine who has since passed on himself. At the time he wrote about the story in question and it provoked an intriguing reaction from locals in the street curious to know if  the haunted house in question was theirs?

The following house in Question is in Atchinson St Wollongong and that it was once called Ocean view my friend said ”Out of respect of the Owner and the Owners privacy he would not reveal the actual address. Not even to me.

Here is his yarn below in his words. I hope i retell them do my friend story justice.

The words was spoken so causally by the way this house was haunted?

Filled my ears as I worked on a house for a young women battling cancer on her own while she was living at the house in question. The words rang in my ears. It is not every day you hear from home owners that their house is haunted. I had to know the story?

Like many urban legends most turn out to be nothing much in them. Perhaps it is our need to believe in such stories as it stimulates the imagination, and our love of folklore that has been passed down to us from word of mouth through a friend of a friend. Many such stories will never get published outside close knit circles.

And here I was being told a story by a sincere women over a cup of coffee and as freely and casually as drunk at the bar trying remember the best of his days. The house was haunted by the ghost of young man in his twenties. She went on to tell me she has a young daughter about 3 or four years old who was at Daycare the day I was there. But with all the toys and dolls lying about I had no reason to doubt her.

The house in question was a deceased estate as many of them was built in the late 19th century or early federation houses. And the house had by her understanding been in same family for many years. When she had moved in a found many old film posters half eaten by silverfish from the 1930's under the lino used as floor packing in the Kitchen. During there first days there after they moved in they always detected cold spots at the rear of the house. They at first took it as draughts through gaps in the floor boards as with any old house.

It was her daughter who first called to attention to the Ghost. The daughter an infant barely able to talk at the time was constantly looking back distracted into the kitchen as if there was some one there. As she began to talk she would point into thin air and say “the man” Naturally for a young mother of her first child this would have been a little unsettling.

But the gradual realisation came over time when the sounds of floor boards creeks from phantom footsteps and doors would open and close by themselves. And more alarming one day a face pressed up against frosted glass of the window of the back kitchen door that vanished when approached. The back yard had two dogs who avoided going anywhere near under the house, lead the owner believe some thing terrible had happened there?

Under the house was usual under house junk accumulated over the life of a house. The junk under a house can give a marvellous insight into the history of the house, old bricks, bits of wire and timber, old bottles, cans of another era lay about . It had the usual brick piers about 1 metre and half high forcing the average person to bend your back going under the house. This was at the highpoint of course heading to the front of the house it was down to about 30 cm. However there was one part near the kitchen in a semi dark corner felt colder than everywhere else.

I asked her don't you find it all too unnerving to be sharing a house with a ghost? Her reply was he was unobtrusive and she had become used to this odd spectral house mate. And her daughter was not perturbed at all of their unusual house guest. And most of all the face appeared on the frosted glass of the back door just to get her attention, just when she had left the stove on and the food was burning in the kitchen. She is convinced this spectral phantom is looking out for her and her daughter.

Was it all a series of assumptions built over time from explainable non events? I do not know if this courageous young women it still living there now as this was some years ago. I was fortunate enough just to be in the right moment in time to listen to her story.

Years later knowing the address of the house I discovered through a combination of old newspapers and Electoral roles that there was a suicide there.

Amazing enough it was of a young man called Alfred Earl Wilson aged 20. He had committed suicide by hanging himself. What was strange that under the house was too low to hang himself, so he tied his legs and feet up and hung himself off a floor bearer.

Perhaps we will never know the motive for such a terrible act. He was employed in a picture theatre called the savoy. It was a picture house in globe lane Wollongong. It was built in the Art nouveau style of the late 1920's. So we could rule out at least his suicide was not over him being unemployed as with many cases in the 1930's during the time of the great depression. Perhaps it was over the a lost love?

Whatever the issue perhaps there is a lost spirit in a house in Atchinson  St Wollongong still looking out for his living house mates?

Its was an interesting story from my old friend .  His yarn of this ladies story resonated with many people. Especially locals all wanting to know the exact location of the house. Much has changed since then. Many of the older houses have been demolished as new town house and flats are being built.

Perhaps the house in question is gone and ghost from past is mere footnote in history so easily missed.

A sad fate that many tales in folklore die before being passed on.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Re: Ghost on Atchinson St Wollongong: NSW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
A very sad and well written KANACKI.

From past experience, the biggest reason a 20-Year-Old male commits suicide is "unrequited" love; perhaps he found his girlfriend with another man.

I feel a lot of pain reading stories such as these, as sometimes instead of "Counting to 10", they re-act immediately, based on high negative emotions and commit suicide.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:21:43 PM »
Hello Simon

I agree it must of been powerful emotions involved that drove this young man to kill himself. But if the motive of his actions was death? Why hang around? Whats keeping him here?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
Another thing that interested me was the reaction of interest the locals had of my friends story.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
I should also I am not sure if the house still exists today? I know it was still there in 2004.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
Remember the biggest rule KANACKI, all individuals' who have died and not fully Past Over, are still governed by the rules all Spirits are subject to the Spiritual World (remember, those Spirits that do not fully Passover are part of the Spiritual World.

The reason I say this is that I have had the pleasure of being invited to see the Entry/Exit of the Spirits who are going to be born (just after the baby is conceived) and the Spirits who are passing over.

Also shown the "Curtain" that is the commencing of the Spiritual World.

The reason I have been shown the above is part of my Life’s' Journey.

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 12:32:50 AM »
It was strange story that garnered a lot of interest by people wanting to investigate However one must respect the privacy of the individuals property involved. Nothing worse than a legion would be ghost hunters peering through your windows day after day.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal