Author Topic: Kapunda Cemetery  (Read 25927 times)

Offline natalia

• Initiate
Kapunda Cemetery
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
Kapunda - Cemetery -

Kapunda is a mining town just 2 hours from Adelaide. It is an old mining town. A young girl haunts the local cemetery there. She was sent there to the nuns as she was pregnant and unmarried. The local priest gave her an abortion and still to this day she haunts the local cemetery searching for her baby.

Offline Donna351

• Senior Contributor
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
OMG, awwww, that is sooooo sad, the poor thing  :cry:

Offline PAFC2004

• Newcomer
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:54:24 AM »
As i have said in another thread, this is not entirely true. For those who wish to know more, just ask.

Anahera

Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:03:02 AM »
Quote from: "PAFC2004"
As i have said in another thread, this is not entirely true. For those who wish to know more, just ask.

Do you want to elaborate?

Offline PAFC2004

• Newcomer
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 02:20:35 AM »
Quote from: "Anahera"

Do you want to elaborate?

Sure, but it is a rather long story. The girl in question - Ruby Olive Bland was in the care of a Catholic reformatory in Magill. A few of the better behaved girls were placed in foster homes, but many of these girls had their Catholic beliefs changed by these families. The church decided to build another reformatory, far away from everything. This was built in Kapunda. Ruby moved there, along with approximately 12 other girls. The rest of the story is somewhat unclear, as there are many different ideas. I did find out that the reformatory closed down suddenly in 1912 (I think), which was the year Ruby Olive died. Maybe a coincidence, who knows.

Obviously there is a lot more to this. Ask anything you would like to know.

Offline chainz

• Senior Contributor
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 02:46:34 AM »
If its a long story find the time to make a big post :)

Offline PAFC2004

• Newcomer
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 04:08:42 AM »
Quote from: "chainz"
If its a long story find the time to make a big post :)

:wink: ok!

Well to continue from my last post:
There are rumours that Ruby Olive was raped by a priest, and subsequently died due to complications during childbirth. There are many who say this is entirely untrue however, and that she actually died during a gall bladder operation. Her death certificate (the authenticity of which is unclear) backs up the gall bladder story. After a lot of research, I have found that the Kapunda reformatory seems to be the only reformatory in the states history which does not have records.

There are actually reported to be far more ghosts at the cemetery than just Ruby Olive. Unfortunately the reformatory that overlooked the cemetery was knocked down a few years back.

Offline princessarra

• Centurion
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »
I don't belive the gall bladder story...... a teenager i reckon is slightly to young to have gall stones.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
Quote from: "princessarra"
I don't belive the gall bladder story...... a teenager i reckon is slightly to young to have gall stones.

Not at all....my son-in-law had his out when he was 17.  I had mine out at 30.  My daughter had hidney stones when she was 12.  Its rarer when your young, but not unheard of!

Offline princessarra

• Centurion
Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 03:14:01 PM »
Yes i know......... i had my gall bladder out when i was 28, i was rushed to the emergency room when my son was 5 days old. It was the last thing they thought of even though i was profoundly jaundice because i was only 28.

Offline Alison - PFI

• Newcomer
Re: Kapunda Cemetery
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
Sorry... couldn't help wading in here too lol.
This is another of our investigation places.  We had heard the rumours and seen Warrick Moss's documentary "Most Haunted Town in Australia" and decided to find out for ourselves whether it was all true.  We have done a lot of background research and even found and have copies of the letters that were being passed back and forth from St Johns to Adelaide.  The history becomes more interesting then the hauntings lol.
We have a copy of Ruby's death certificate and it does state she died from complications on a gallstone operation.  She had been admitted to hospital 13 days earlier.  However, Father Martin was a concern to the church and to the nuns at the reformatory as it is insinuated that he was a forceful man with his punishments.  He also had a questionable state of mind, which in these days he would have had help for, but in those the church didn't know what to do with him.  When Ruby died in 1909, they moved the girls out and closed the reformatory.  However, it seems he was left up there by the church for another 12 years as a recluse before he finally died.
The other interesting point about Ruby is that she was put in the ground very quickly when usually there had to be some sort of review on the death.  Maybe she did die of Gallstones... I don't think we will ever know for sure.  But does the evidence point to her being raped and pregnant by Father Martin as the Urban Legends have said... from all the historical information we have, no we don't believe so.  If anything, it may have been a severe punishment that went over the top but even then it can't be proved either way.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal