Author Topic: My Visit To Chateau Tanunda  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Torey

• Inductee
  • Occultist & Demonologist
    • Infernal Dialogues
My Visit To Chateau Tanunda
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
For our anniversary last month, my wife and I decided to travel to McLaren Vale for a wine and cheese adventure.  We couldn't resist stopping by Chateau Tanunda, the largest and oldest Chateau in Australia (established in 1890).  Functioning today as a cellar door and luxury venue for private events such as weddings, apparently the Chateau is reputed to have at least one resident spirit (not of the alcoholic variety!)...

I have researched this place and have been unable to find much information about the alleged spirits which haunt it.  Granted, inside there is an eeriness to the place - and you can see why it would be a great "home" for a ghost or two.  My wife and I didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary during our trip, but it would be nice to perhaps be able to go on the tour (we had missed it by half an hour when we arrived) which would have given us access to more of the building as we were only limited to the grounds and cellar door.

But, I took plenty of photos (no faces in the windows, I'm afraid - no ghostly wisps of smoke or even a single "orb"):

The view as we approached the Chateau.  A long, period driveway (very bumpy) and the striking vastness of the Chateau as you topped the small hill was breath-taking:

The facade of (what I believe to be) the Eastern Wing near the cellar door:

An old smokestack set just a few meters away from the main building.  This was eerie enough on its own without a spook!:

This beautiful arbor was a highlight - framing the croquet lawn:

This old gum tree was also a bit surreal and seemed to have a strange energy around it.  Perhaps not significant at all, but it would be interesting if it had a colourful history:

These smaller buildings, just a short distance from the main building, were obviously newer constructs.  We assume they were once servants' quarters - I'm sure we would have found out on the tour:

A view of the rear of the building:

This odd little annex was set off from the main building a short ways and was located right next to the railroad tracks.  I don't know if it was perhaps a station of some kind - again, the tour would have been beneficial:

And, of course, a shameless selfie in front of the Eastern Wing:

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: My Visit To Chateau Tanunda
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Great pics.

It looks great. Reminds me a bit of Seppelts in Great Western. Have you been there?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Torey

• Inductee
    • Infernal Dialogues
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
I've not bee there, Christine.  Is this the place you're talking about?:

http://www.seppelt.com.au/

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
It is, not the same sort of Chateau, although I think Browns Brothers might be a little similar. The buildings have the same sort of feel.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline JulieD

• Reiki Lightworker- Wiccan Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
    • Macedon Ranges Olde Town Tours
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
I might have been to this Chateau, trying to remember. Did it have a display case inside full of beautiful vintage wine glasses and goblets and maybe a grand piano?

Look for the light in everyone you meet.
You may be the only person that ever sees it.

Offline Torey

• Inductee
    • Infernal Dialogues
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
I might have been to this Chateau, trying to remember. Did it have a display case inside full of beautiful vintage wine glasses and goblets and maybe a grand piano?

In the cellar, they had some things on display such as what you're describing - but there was no piano, mind you they were renovating so half the area was cleared out and roped off so they may have moved it.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal