Author Topic: The Park Centre for mental health.  (Read 25811 times)

Offline Spier

• Inductee
The Park Centre for mental health.
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Here is a quick blurb on the place.

The facility, originally named the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum, was first established in 1865 on a 120 acre horse stud farm owned by Dr Stephen Simpson. The hospital, consisting of one two story wooden building and four female wards, could accommodate 69 patients, with Dr Kearsey Caanan as the first superintendent. In 1880 the hospital was renamed the Goodna Asylum and in 1884 more buildings were added to the hospital to combat overcrowding.

In 1908 Dr H. Bryam Ellerton, the hospital superintendent, under the auspices of moral therapy, spearheaded many improvements to the hospital to provide a more uplifting environment for the mentally ill. In 1916 the hospital was again improved with the addition of a ward for those suffering a physical disease as well as a mental disorder. In the 1930s the hospital was again renamed the Goodna Mental Hospital. Dr Basil Stafford at the hospital led the way to reform of the Mental Hygiene Act (1938) and the hospital was reorganized into two units, one for the chronically ill requiring a secure environment and the other for acute and recovering patients.

In 1959 the hospital was once again renamed the Brisbane Mental Hospital and with the opening of new mental health facilities across the state, the focus of the hospital become long term chronic patients. Following the introduction of the Mental Health Act (1962) the facility was once again renamed the Brisbane Special Hospital and the name was changed again, in 1969, to the Wolston Park Hospital. In 1989 the John Oxley Memorial Hospital, a special purpose secure psychiatric facility, was opened on the grounds of the Wolston Park Hospital; it has since been demolished.

Now that you have read all that I will tell what i know. I have visited this sight several times with friends both day and night and either way it is not a sight to take lightly, you are unable to gain entrance to the building due to its condition there have been several stories told but i have unable to locate anyone with direct knowledge of events to happen. This institute has been the source of rumors regarding beatings and miss treatment of patients for years, the use of shock therapy was routine and the fall out is still being felt to this day.

This sight has another sad tale and that in the 60-70s it was not uncommon for minors some as young as 11 but more commonly 13-16 to be admitted to the hospital receiving the same treatment and drugs of that of the adult patients, to make it worse they were never separated and shared the same rooms as the adults leading to even more heinous acts to be committed.

Ive said a lot but this sight has that feeling and history to it that I feel that there is something there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
In the end all we can do is walk the path and learn and live along the way.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: The Park Centre for mental health.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
I don't know the place. Is it still standing?

How terribly sad, what a sad history.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Spier

• Inductee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
Yeah a very sad history and in fact it is still standing it is 10 mins away from where i live theres a new facility built right next to it and it keeps the same name.

Offline Spier

• Inductee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Here is a picture of the facility.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
That is such an awful history.  I really don't like the look of the place either.  Silly question, but the grounds look like they are kept very neat and tidy.  Is it going to be sold perhaps.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline Spier

• Inductee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
Not that I'm aware of this is the original building they built a newer hospital just 50 meters away consisting of multiple buildings and the old house still receives lawn maintenance because its on the hospital grounds, little side note i forgot to add this place normally has 10-40 kangaroos around the place local legend says that when they disappear then something bad is happening. Ill try and get a overhead shot if I can find it.

Offline Spier

• Inductee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
So here is the air shot ive highlighted the orginal building.  If you use google maps it has some more pictures if you use the show picture feature. Just enter -27° 36' 3.63", +152° 54' 28.16"

Offline sabeha

• Lady Sabeha
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
ugh.  ya'll go do an investigation if you can, christine.
xxx

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
I would LOVE to get in there!

Offline sabeha

• Lady Sabeha
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »
how far is that from where you guys are?
xxx

Offline sabeha

• Lady Sabeha
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
I would LOVE to get in there!

you NEED to come investigate that house on st. claude ave.!!!
xxx

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
I would like too Sabeha.   And the Lawrey House too.

Offline sabeha

• Lady Sabeha
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
the lawry house in huntsville, alabama?  oh, my!  there are SO many places  between here and there that are absolutely haunted.  shucks, the house i'm in is haunted.  new orleans has a whole bunch of interesting history...and ghosties.
xxx

Offline Spier

• Inductee
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Well im up here to help anytime you want to do a visit I know a couple of spots this way and then there are the ones that are well known.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
I love the aerial shot.  It is huge.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal