Author Topic: SOB. Spirituality Out of the Box.  (Read 11659 times)

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
SOB. Spirituality Out of the Box.
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
 I have decided to start my own religion. 

It's called the Spirtuality Out of the Box (or SOB). 

You can be a Christian, a Muslim, an Atheist or whatever.  Everyone will be welcome as long as the fundamental basis is valued and practiced.  More will be written about that basis but essentially SOB is built on love, compassion and tolerance.

Who wants to join?

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Re: SOB. Spirituality Out of the Box.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
As long as  don't have to door knock!

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Those who would come are welcome.  My approach is never to sheep steal or to try conversions... 

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
Do we get a badge? lol
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »
LOL. As you saw from the Facebook post, people will never evolve.  Steve's a nice guy and (unlike a couple I've bantered with) good natured and tolerant but they are a dying breed.  Hence the need for a 21st century 'religion'...

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
I did see that. I call it blind faith. the problem with blind faith is you are blinkered.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:22 AM »
He does think more than most - but I recently spent an evening (online) with someone whose absolute conviction that the 'scriptures' were 100% true, literally, and that nothing I had to say was of any value.  They reminded me of the old joke about the old woman and the parrot....

The old lady had gone out and the parrot sat in its cage eating it's bird seed.  The postman came to the door with a parcel for the old lady.  He knocked on the door and the parrot said 'Who's there?'.

'Its the postman' said the postman.

The parrot just repeated its question 'Who's there?'

Knowing the old woman was a little deaf, the postman called a little louder 'It's the postman'.

But the parrot just said 'Who's there?'

So the postman said it louder .... 'It's the postman'.

Well this went on for about two hours and eventually the postman collapsed - exhausted.

The old lady came home and found a dead man on her doorstep.  'Who's that?' she cried.

The parrot said ..... 'It's the postman'.

And the moral of the story is that you can die trying to get sense in or out of a parrot.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
I have met a few people who believe totally that the bible is the true word of GOD.   I no longer waste my time trying to talk to them, they are completely trapped in their own reality.  You couldn't poke 'em out with a stick.
I have found Jehovah's more reasonable and that's saying something.   

It reminds me of that old quote..."there are none so blind as those who refuse to see..."  That proves true with religion, the paranormal and the crypto scene.....funny that they are so alike in their belief or lack of, LOL

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Same here CE.  Tell me more Gary.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline Lapismoon

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Contributor
  • Archangel Michael is my wingman...
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
An interesting idea, what are the FUNdermentals?
esprit de I'escalier    [es-pree de less-ka/-iay}
A witty remark that occurs to you too late, literally on the way down the stairs.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
We can become Out of the Box groupies.....
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

Offline roman67

• Initiate
    • Clairvoyant Readings
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
Ya, I also some people who completely believe in bible. So, they will never join this religion. So, it’s just a wastage of time to talk with them about this.

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
That true of most Muslims too.  The reality is that they have been brain washed to believe X and nothing will convince them otherwise.  The Quo'ran says X so therefore it is true.  The Bible says X so therefore it is true.  The sad fact is that they take this to the extreme of intolerance. 

It says in the New Testament that Jesus said that none come to the father except through him.  Christians take this as the end-word that all other religions are totally unsatisfactory and lead to eternal damnation.  No Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Taoist or Scientologist can ever enter heaven because they do not go 'through Jesus'.

Yet.  My thinking is quite simple.  Through Jesus means to live as he did.  We can argue about 'how' he lived - that's fine - but it is his relationship with the living God that counts.  That is what he showed people at the time. 

Further, the 'God' that is referred to is usually a homo-sapien type - in His image - but it seems to me that it was said (can't remember the right verses etc) that Jesus was the human vision of God.  In other words, it was not James or Judas who was the image of God i.e. human form was not the vision being described.  Again it comes back to 'nature' or 'mind'. 

God, I think, is like the elephant.  One man sees the trunk and thinks 'God is a snake'.  Another sees the tail and thinks 'God is a worm'.  Yet another sees the body and thinks 'God is a house'.  The truth is that the thing that we call God is far more than a physical experience can describe and this is why I think that Buddhism, for example, might be much closer.  You need to know a lot about enlightenment and buddhahood  to fully see it (and I am a dunce).  But to define God as 'love' or 'truth' is, I think, much closer to the mark. 

Imagine intelligence which goes beyond just knowing.  Imagine love that goes beyond affection or attachment. 

But such arguments to most religions result in brick dust embedded in your forehead.

The basic principles of most religions actually are core.  Yet the frilly bits have taken over and have turned most into division and illusion. 

God, apparently, is all powerful and totally superior, yet incapable of reaching different minds through different methods.  Yeah right.

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
I am in lol.

The truth is that the thing that we call God is far more than a physical experience can describe and this is why I think that Buddhism, for example, might be much closer.  You need to know a lot about enlightenment and buddhahood  to fully see it (and I am a dunce).  But to define God as 'love' or 'truth' is, I think, much closer to the mark.

Fully concur with the above, and I think Jesus is just one of many spiritual beings out there. I read somewhere that if you tread the "middle path in life" you will tend to avoid many a perils. Hence why its okay to enjoy the occasional ale, but not okay if you over do it lol.
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
I have just finished listening to
http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Religion-Everything/dp/1600245579

Now I have to say he puts forth a convincing case for the fact religion is manmade.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal