Author Topic: Westgarthtown Thomastown Melbourne  (Read 12744 times)

Offline northmelbourneghosthunter

• Newcomer
Westgarthtown Thomastown Melbourne
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
Hi everyone alot of people don't know about this place and i just found out myself really there us a old 1800s grave site in thomastown its called westgarth town AKA germantown. It is not a official haunted location but i have done many photo sessions and evp sessions there and got many responses. I also have a class A photo of a figure of a male. This is a open grave site and anyone can go in there. They do offer tours but not ghost hunting tours. Its worth a try to go suss it out for yourself keep in mind though you might get followed i have a couple of times. I have a obsession with this place as it is highly active for me anyway. Just drive by take photos and see what you get.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: Westgarthtown Thomastown Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
Thanks for that.

What sort of evp responses did you get?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
To be honest with you not very good ones they were more along the lines of go away get out of here. I have only got one good evp that said help me. I knew they followed me home i took some pictures as i was leaving and i had one taken of the car mirror you can clearly see a bunch of males sitting in my car having a joy ride...That night while i was asleep i got woken up i seen a male figure standing outside my window which looked like the same male who i had the photo of....He asked me why did i come here and not to come back and gave me a evil laugh i was so scared i was shaking even my cat seen something he had the same look as me that night ill never forget it. All though i have experienced these things i still go back there because its so active.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
What sort of psychic protection are you enforcing?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
The only protection i use is a prayer before i go anywhere for ghost hunting or carry my rosary beeds. I tend to do all my work at home as my garage is haunted :/ I have only been scratched once when i just started doing all of this but once they got to know me they became more friendly.

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
You need to look up psychic protection on this site, hun.  It is very dangerous not to protect yourself.   You might have been lucky so far, but it only takes one nasty.

Please be careful when you go to these places, as its not just the dead that hang around these places,  the living can be dangerous too.

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
Thank you i will look more into this. I think i am to close with the spirits at my house i talk to them pretty much everyday no idea who they are or where they are from but i never get anything negative about them at all. I am also dealing with a couple of spirit children.

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
Yep.  Protection is important.  Not everything is a simple spirit...

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
What a fascinating little spot. There is a dedicated website: http://www.westgarthtown.org.au  with lots of great history and photo's too.

Do you have any German ancestry? Could it be why you are so drawn to the place? And yes, be very careful.

Offline JulieD

• Reiki Lightworker- Wiccan Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
    • Macedon Ranges Olde Town Tours
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
I think I had a look in one of those bluestone houses a few years ago when it was up for sale. I remember thinking it was pretty,

Preston was called Irish Town in those days

Did we have a pic on this site of another historical place in South Morang? Will see if I can find it.

And I would love to see a list of the graves at Westgarthtown cemetery

Look for the light in everyone you meet.
You may be the only person that ever sees it.

Offline Colleen

• Senior Contributor
  • Animal Activist
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
Westgarthtown, amazing.....love it.
Stop the torture. Stop Yulin. Become the voice of animals who cannot talk.

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Hi no i came across the place by random actually we were just driving around and i seen it i was not expecting it to be haunted i just took photos as i was driving by and then i went home reviewed and seen a male figure in the car window and my window was open. I knew then i had to keep going back yes there is alot of history on the place i even borrowed a book from the library once to see if i could find out more.

Can you tell me more about the Reservoir area i never knew preston was called that i am trying to narrow down some history about were i lived maybe u can help me?

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
Re Reservoir, does this help? -

In 1837 Robert Hoddle surveyed the present day Preston area and its surrounds forming the Jika Jika parish. The parish of Keelbundoora to the north was subsequently surveyed by John Helder Wedge and in 1838 the 990 acres of Keelbundoora 12 (K12) and adjacent 885 acres (K11) were sold to the land speculator Thomas Alexander during Melbourne’s Land Boom. These allotments, along with K13, would later be subdivided to form the suburb known as Reservoir (see map p.17 Carroll and Rule). The land was deemed unsuitable for speculation and sold on in 1840 to Captain Sylvester John Brown who again sold it a month later to Englishman Thomas Dyer Edwardes. The oldest hotel in northern Darebin, The Rose, Shamrock and Thistle (Rose Shamrock) opened its doors for the first time in 1854. In 1864 the reservoir which would later provide inspiration for the suburb’s name was built on the Yan Yean pipeline which carried water into Melbourne. 2 others were built in 1909 and 1913. The Fitzroy and Whittlesea Railway opened in 1884 and Reservoir Station was built. In 1904 the line was eventually linked directly to the city via Clifton Hill.

Early subdivision plans by Edwardes failed right up until the 1890s due to remoteness from settlement. Eventually Edwardes did manage to lure some “stout hearted” settlers to purchase land in his estates and in 1914 he donated 34 acres of his Leamington Estate to be used as a public park. Once the land was given to the Council, they started planting trees and commenced planning a dam and a weir. The State War Council approached the Council and successfully lobbied to employ returning servicemen to build the weir and retaining wall which form the lake. Edwardes Lake was officially opened in 1920 and remains popular to this day.

By the 1920s Reservoir could be at last be considered a suburb. In 1921 Preston and its surrounds had the highest population density of any shire in Victoria which again trebled by 1926. The increase can be attributed to the increased birth rates as a result of the Baby Boom, people moving away from the crowded inner suburbs and an influx of overseas immigrants. This unprecedented growth resulted in vast improvements in public transport and the proliferation of shops in Edwardes and Spring Streets. However up until the 1960s vast areas in the north west of Reservoir were still completely undeveloped and the dominant architecture in the areas is standard brick homes, weatherboard homes, and a high number of new developments as the suburb continues to sprawl northward.

source: http://dhe.darebin-libraries.vic.gov.au/encyclopedia.asp?id=995

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
And I would love to see a list of the graves at Westgarthtown cemetery

Me too Julie! The website says that there's no surviving burial register but there were over 175 burials there. Reading through the site I came across a name I recognise connected with our family. One of my husbands German ancestress's had a sister who married a Werner in 1855. I expect that these ones at Westgarthtown are more than likely related to him.. Now I wonder if there are any Klüx's or Siegart's buried there too!

lol, I had other things to do today, now I'm on a Cemetery record hunt!

• Newcomer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »
Thanks for that info but i am looking for more direct info close to were i live like my land or surrounds streets etc im having a ruff time with it...

As for westgarth there is a list online of the people who were burried there i came across it one day when i was trying to work out who the man was in my picture.....There is also a book in the libary on the entire history of the place

I added a pciture of the best photo yet from the place direct across the road from the gravesite.....The photo was weird because my partner was taking the picture taking pics of the gravesite but this shows the camera reversed itself to take pictures of the creek side....we also had funny pcitures before this one were it looked like someone was outside the car taking pictures of us which was impossible because we were both in the car?.....This guy was so close to me

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal