Author Topic: Participate in a paranormal belief study :)  (Read 4500 times)

Offline helenb

• Newcomer
Participate in a paranormal belief study :)
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a student studying in my honours year of psychology at the University of Adelaide in Adelaide, South Australia.

As a part of my completion requirements, I am to complete a thesis which I have chosen to focus on the psychological predictors of paranormal belief. The study tests multiple variables - if you would like more information, please visit the link below.

If you are interested in participating, the study is located at (removed by admin)

It will take no more than 20-30 minutes of your time.

NOTE: Please do not discuss the study in this thread, as public feedback may influence the results of participants who see it. If you have any criticisms or just general feedback, please do not hesitate to email me, or simply privately message me.

ALSO NOTE: The email field is simply there in the event that you would like to know the final results of the study. If you do not feel comfortable with entering your email, simply write "n/a" in that field. Please do not let the email option deter you from participating.
Thank you in advance to those who participate.

Helen
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:14:33 PM by Christine »

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
Re: Participate in a paranormal belief study :)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
Hi Helenb, welcome to the Forum.

I'll have a look at the questionnaire for you and if it is interesting will happily participate.

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
Hi Helen :) I've completed your questionnaire and found it quite interesting. Good luck with your thesis.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
Hello Helen,

I think, and I base this on the user agreement that you signed when you joined our forum, in addition to just plain good manners, that you should have approached me asking if it was ok to post this on the forum prior to you approaching our members to participate in your research.

In fact I am fairly sure that normal ethics procedure would mandate you do so.

I am displeased. It really bothers me when people join the forum for one reason, and then on their first post ask something of the members who have helped to build this community for many years. I pay for this forum out of my own money and you have come on here and contributed nothing, haven't contributed to the wider community and your introduction asks for something for yourself. It is no different to those people who join for the sole purpose of obtaining a free reading. We don't hear from them either before they want the reading, or afterwards, until they want their next free reading. I believe it actually shows a complete lack of respect for the forum members and those who pay in time and money to maintain it.

I have never denied permission to anyone who wants to advertise either their own business on here, or to anyone who wants stories for a book or for research purposes, ever. But all of those I have approved have always sought permission first. There is a right and wrong way to go about these things Helen, and quite frankly I would have thought as a honours student, you should know such things by now.

Perhaps you could explain why you circumvented procedures in this instance please? How do you think your supervisor would feel about the way you have gone about obtaining research participants?

Christine
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:20:35 PM by Christine »
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Well said Christine, the thought had crossed my mind as well.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:30 PM »
I must have missed this....  yes, it a good idea to seek permission before soliciting this sort of thing.  The response would be much better then, too.

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:51:27 PM »
hrmm, I assumed permission had been sought..  Looks to have not been the case at all. :(

Offline helenb

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have spoken to Christine via email and apologised for not seeking permission to post on the forum.

Unfortunately I didn't realise posts of such nature were against forum rules - it is my own fault for not more carefully ensuring that I wasn't breaking any guidelines. It is my first time conducting research and I didn't realise that seeking permission from forum owners was necessary, as long as you abide forum rules. However I obviously misread the existing rules, and I'm truly sorry for any upset I've caused.

I have requested for the thread to be removed, and if anyone would like their results removed from the study I can arrange for that to happen also. Simply private message me and I will do so.

Thank you and sorry again,

Helen

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
Helen, thank you for apologising.

I am happy for my input to remain.

(Confucius)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
As most of you know, we don't remove threads. The reason are varied; it mucks up people's post counts, it ruins continuity of various conversations and they serve as a learning experience for others.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal