Author Topic: Screwed up  (Read 4471 times)

Anahera

Screwed up
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm not sure how to ask the questions, but is there anyone out there that can help me or give me advice?

I have been feeling so low for approximately a year now, although I have been feeling better in the last few months (it's more on and off).  I think I'm suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.  My memory is shot to pieces and I really struggle with keeping my (sorry we don't allow swearing on the forum) together some days.  I know I should be on anti-depressants, but I also think there maybe another solution somewhere.  I have to go, so I can't explain more just now.

Offline Trent1

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:52:57 AM »
anahera. first of all what do you believe it is that is making you depressed? has anything happened in the past year (lots of little things usually are much stronger than one big thing). that would make you feel this way? is there anyone or anything in your life bringing you down.
if it has then you need to think about why these tihngs are/ have happening/happened. what meaning do you believe is behind them and what good do you think could come out of them. you have to be brutally honest with yourself in this case and it will be harder but will work much better.

if nothing at all has happened and you should be feeling on top of the world but you find it quite the opposit. then it could also be negative energies atracting themselves to you, which sets off a chain reaction of you thinking and acting negativly and actracting more.... this is a hard cycle to break and often cant be broken by just yourself as the negativity usually kills your motivation to change.
sometimes it will just fix itself, sometimes the universe will give you signs that is hard not to listen to, and sometimes you need to put in the hard work yourself.
talking to a counseler/ psychologist whatever can help, also just opening up to someone that you feel comfortable with can often put things into perspective.
finding something in your life that you want/love can also help. do you have children? or close family? often concentrating on them can bring you back up and give the positivity what it needs to start working. also doing new and intresting things and perhaps trying to get back into old hobbies youve since lost motivation for can be a good idea.
basicly you have to think hard about exactly why it is you might be feeling this way... do you notice a pattern in ur ups and downs? what do you think could possibly be causing these.
depending on exactly why you are feeling like this often means a diffrent aproach to fixing it. you do at least have the will to get ur energy back otherwise you never would have posted this :) and that is a very good sign.
try to look at ur life from an outsiders point of view and consider what you might want to change... and then change it :) if absolutely none of this works at all then go and see ur gp. clinical depression (genuin medical chemical imbalances) are usually prominant when ur in ur teens and then revisit later on... so if your past ur teens and are feeling this way and it is the first then i strongly believe that it is not clinical.
try a couple things before you go to the anti depressants because, well while im not dismissing them, taking them when you dont need them is kindof like taking panadol constantly if u get headaches all the time. (its not fixing the problem just the symtom).
dont mean to offend anyone here as i know this is a passionate subject and i know that taking them is a good thing. im just suggesting diffrent options.

i hope that my rambling made some sense anahera and i hope that you start to feel better soon :) it wont be instant, but if you do start feeling better make sure you stay on the right track. you will know when it is getting better :):):)
good luck, and i never say that if i dont mean it.
i wish you well and look forward to hearing how its going.

again thankyou for coming out and asking for advice. its often hard to do :)

~Trent
We are merely a part of the universe, in its entirety. like a leaf on a tree, in the ground, covered by atmosphere, pulled by gravity around the sun... it goes on.
We are all one.
Don't you think its time we started acting like it

Anahera

Screwed up
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:54:17 AM »
I guess I kind of feel sorry for myself, I am being really selfish I know, but I just feel like I am an outcast.  I don't have a lot of friends and I'm not supported by my family (only 1 member).  I do have a wonderfully supportive partner though, that has had similar experiences to me.  It's almost as if I reject people before I have a chance to get hurt.  I just want to get out of this lull and have the enthusiasm I had for life once back.  I really hate myself a lot of the time, but its a kind of mixed up feeling, where I just hate this life and the cards I have been dealt.  I know other people go through a hell of a lot worse in life, and I always try to reflect on that.  I don't know.  I just (sorry we don't allow swearing on the forum) myself off sometimes.  I'm not as good as I could be.

Offline Donna351

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »
hi Anahera,

When i read your post i felt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:45:53 AM by Donna351 »

Offline tk62

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
Anahera, Honestly when you are feeling this bad you cannot make the right decisions, I do suggest that you seek help from a GP, I know the thought of antidepressants can sound frightening but they aren't and for you to get your (sorry we don't allow swearing on the forum) together you need a straight head and these will help, they are not something that you will necessarily need long term but just some time to see through the haze,  a bit like fog lamps, its a device to help us get through safely, please do this for yourself .
"If our personality survives death, then it is strictly logical or scientific to assume that it retains memory, intellect, other faculties, and knowledge that we acquire on this earth." — Thomas Edison

Anahera

Screwed up
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »
I think the reason I didn't use antidepressants is because I really wanted to just feel for once in my life and not hold back.  

I feel clearer today, I'm just tired of making mistakes all the time.  I am feeling so jealous of people lately (those with parents mainly - who can always fall back on them when times are tough).  But then I also think I have it much better than most people, so why am I complaining?  

I can definitely link how I feel to certain events in my life.  Sorry this post is more higgledy piggeldy that most of my others.  

Thanks for responding.

Offline Donna351

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
Anahera,

you certainly have the right attitude, specially about the anti dep, i too have felt like ive needed them but am like you, i like to feel things are real, we make mistakes and ive made more than a few and biggies but we make them for a reason, what reason we dont always find out, but its all about living and growing. Keep up the good work hon, you are a survivor like me.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Screwed up
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
Hi Anahera,
I used to feel very jealous of people with parents too. I had no parents to speak of and have never had anyone like that to rely on. However the universe has sent me the best friends which I have found are always there for me. I am very blessed.
The anti depressants do not stop you feeling. They just allow you to be able to take a step back and deal with things more calmly rather than when affected by or through emotion.
Christine
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
Screwed up
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »
Having parents to fall back on is handy, but learning to stand alone is better!  If you spend your life expecting mum and dad to jump in and help how do you manage when they are gone, and your too old to learn about being self reliant?  You are strong Anahera, and sensible, and no matter what, none of us are ever alone!

Anahera

Screwed up
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 08:46:26 PM »
Thank-you for your advice and support.

I have looked after myself from a young age and have always been quite proud of that fact.  It's just recently where I have felt overwhelmed and directionless, these feelings of jealousy have arised.  

I think it might tie in with the fact that we are on the cusp of starting a family - I really don't want my children to feel the way I did growing up.  There are numerous reasons why I feel this way.

Thanks again.

Offline tk62

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
The fact that you are aware of not wanting your children having the same feelings that you have had to experience, is in its self proof that you will not allow this to happen, don't worry so much,  just remember that feeling, every time your kids make a mistake and you will be the perfect parent.
"If our personality survives death, then it is strictly logical or scientific to assume that it retains memory, intellect, other faculties, and knowledge that we acquire on this earth." — Thomas Edison

Anahera

Screwed up
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 09:03:06 PM »
Sorry, I just wanted to clarify that i have  a lot of problems!!!  mostly stemming from the relationship I don't have with my parents (and don't want to have for a number of reasons).  I think because I have reached a crossroad in my life I am going through this, maybe?

Offline tk62

• Senior Contributor
Screwed up
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »
Sometimes we need to let go, your parents are the way they are, you cannot change this, so there for except that it is not you, it is them, I know this is a very hard thing to do and I do not envy you at all, I also would not trivialize you emotions on this, so please know that, i do feel for you. sometimes it is just better to walk away from a situation, rather than try to fix it, all yesterdays have gone, today we try our best and each tomorrow is a new beginning

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy