Author Topic: Dark History of Brownsville  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Dark History of Brownsville
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 12:26:31 AM »
Psychic Medium Evaluation:

After viewing a photograph, certain information was revealed to the medium (Anonymous). The medium understands Marion to have been a very reserved, quiet but loving woman who was an amazing and devoted mother. She was also a very private person and was deeply ashamed of her relationship with Noel which she tried to keep hidden.

This may be why there are confusing accounts of whether the relationship was current or not.

She was a victim of domestic abuse and was embarrassed of this and Noel's control over her life, covering for him many times. Neighbors were often not even aware of his presence, however he came and went as he pleased. The only thing he left her with was her public dignity and she tried to protect that at all costs even if it meant suffering in silence. In regards to the murder, it was premeditated and not a crime of passion. It is believed that he likely suspected her of finally escaping the relationship. As well as having a gun, he ambushed her in her own kitchen, attacking when she turned to make tea.

In regards to the whereabouts of Noel:

The medium sees Noel hiding with a friend that lived close by where his car was found on Wyndarra Way. The gun that was used in the crime was hidden at this address in the roof where it remained until about 25 years ago (1997 est) whereupon it was moved to be covered by concrete. She sees him fleeing to the Southern Highlands area, close to Goulburn where he married and changed his name. There have been sightings but none were taken seriously. He is now passed and proud of what he did.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 12:33:53 AM »
From this address, head east on Prince Edward Dr along Mullet Creek, roughly 300 metres is William Beach Reserve. The park commemorates world champion sculler William Beach who lived most of his life in the Dapto district. He was unbeaten as World Sculling Champion from 1884 to 1887.

However, just before the reserve you will notice an abandoned concrete bridge crossing over Mullet Creek to the golf course. This was the original Mullet Creek Bridge crossing, the road was known as Dapto Road and many have lost their lives here. It was once a dangerous wooden bridge that many were too afraid to cross.

The Australian reported on the poor state of the Dapto Road and challenged the government to finish the Mullet Creek Bridge. The road, the poorly built collapsed timber bridge and location for the bridge in that part of the creek was a disgrace to the government. By 1840 the road had taken six years to build and still unfinished and Mullet Creek Bridge remained unresolved.

Legend has it that two men haunt the lonely bridge, taking great pride in startling hapless travellers. Nothing is known of the identity of one of the ghosts, but the other is said to be a man by the name of Gallagher, who was washed away.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 12:39:34 AM »
I found Mr Gallagher amongst others that died near or on the bridge.

THE LATE MR HUGH GALLAGHER

Sat 11 Aug 1860.— The body of this unfortunate man was found on Monday last, close to the place where he was supposed to have been washed off the horse, and in the very spot where Mr B Rixon senior, said he would be found in. The body was found by Mr Gallagher's son.

A rumor is current to the effect that a loaf of bread and some quicksilver were used in finding the body, and that the body rose to the surface at the moment the loaf containing the quicksilver floated over the spot where the body lay. If such a phenomenon occurred, it must have been a curious coincidence, and nothing more.

The body was conveyed to Mr Brown's Lake Illawarra Hotel, and an inquest was held on it yesterday. The evidence adduced was very scanty, and related principally to the finding of the body. A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned by the jury. The body of the deceased was brought into town yesterday evening, and the funeral will take place today: it will move from the late residence of deceased at half past II o'clock a.m. precisely. Through the courtesy of S.S. Rogers, Esq., the coroner for the district, we are enabled to subjoin the evidence taken at the inquest.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 12:43:06 AM »
John Gallagher of Wollongong, deposed as follows:

On Wednesday, the 25th day of July last, the deceased Hugh Gallagher, left his home at Wollongong at about half-past 5 o'clock in the morning, for the purpose of proceeding to Dapto where he had some contract work at Mr Hobb's house. It had been raining for several days previous, and the weather was very tempestuous, and the creeks were very much swollen. The deceased was in perfect health when he left home; it was necessary that the deceased should pass Mullet Creek, on his route to Mr Hobb's house at Dapto.

I consider Mullet Creek to be very dangerous, in consequence of the force of the current, at least, such was its condition on the 25th July last. The deceased was a man of steady habits and not wanting in courage, and was most anxious to be at his contract work. About 2 o'clock on the said 25th of July last, I heard that it was supposed my father had been drowned in Mullet Creek, as his horse had been found. I immediately proceeded to Mullet Creek, where I found parties searching for his body. The search continued at intervals for about twelve days; and was prosecuted by 
several parties but without finding the body.

On Monday the 6th day of August, instant, many efforts were made by myself and others to find the body; and about two o'clock in the afternoon, of that day I purchased a new two pound in weight loaf and placed about an ounce of quicksilver in its centre, and then placed the loaf in 
the water, The loaf floated as nearly as I can guess in the direction of Illawarra Lake about eighty yards, and then ceased floating, and I then saw part of the body. I procured assistance, and got the body out of the water, and removed it to the Lake Illawarra Hotel.

When I first saw the head of the deceased come out of the water I recognised the face as the face of my father.
I have since examined the body, and am sure that it is the body of my father, the deceased Hugh Gallagher. On the body of the deceased I recognised his clothes and his silver 
watch which I now produce. They were his property, and he had them on when he left home.

Dr. Marshall who had made an examination of the body and who found that decomposition had set in, was of opinion that death had been produced by suffocation in the water. Verdict found drowned in Mullet Creek.

To be continued…..

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 01:03:22 AM »
Hello Headless utterly fascinating I know the exact spot you are writing about.

Please do continue.

Kanacki

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 12:40:29 AM »
Here’s some others that may be still lurking around the lonely bridge.

MULLET CREEK DROWNING

It was reported in January 1843 that the poor state of the Dapto Road and not having a bridge at Mullet Creek, Brownsville, contributed to the tragic drowning of a local resident, Mr Whologhan, when he attempted to cross the creek with his horse in floodwaters.

DROPPED DEAD ON THE ROAD

Fri 1 Jan 1897:— This morning a man, apparently about 50 years old dropped dead suddenly on tho road near Mullet Creek bridge at Brownsville. He was carried immediately to the hotel. When the police examined the swag and the pockets they found nothing to prove the identity of the deceased. A magisterial inquiry was held, and it was found that death was due to natural causes

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 12:43:20 AM »
FATALLY INJURED

Tue 30 Nov 1937:— Riding a motor cycle, Harland Walthour (30), collided with a lorry on the bridge near Brownsvllle, and suffered fatal injuries.

Constable Crick, of Wollongong, deposed that he visited the scene of the accident. There was no doubt that the lorry, which is a wide one, was over on its correct side of the road as far as possible. From the point of impact to where the cycle finished up was about 44ft. Witness examined the lorry and the only mark connected with the accident he could find was one on the side of the lorry near the rear wheel. The curves in the locality were such that they could not be negotiated at high speed.

Genven R. Harvey, a carrier, of Dapto, stated he was driving his lorry at the time of the accident at about 15 m.p.h. He was just about to cross the bridge at Mullet Creek when he first noticed an approaching motor cycle. It was travelling very fast. As the lorry neared the end of the bridge the cyclist appeared to swerve to the left.

Witness thought he had passed the cyclist safely, but a companion on the lorry, McEwan, called out "He's over." On looking back, witness saw the cyclist lying on the road. In reply to Mr. Murrell, witness stated that the cyclist was wide out on the curve, on his wrong side of the road.

James Alfred McEwan, lorry-driver, of Mt Keira, who was with Mr. Harvey on the lorry at the time of the accident, deposed that the speed of the motor cycle was too fast to take the bend properly. He did not feel or hear any impact, and it was only when he looked back that he saw the cyclist lying on the road.

The deceased died in Wollongong District Hospital about an hour after admission. The injuries sustained included a fracture of the base of the skull, a compound fractured right knee joint, and fractures of both bones of the right forearm.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:41 AM »
DROWNED AT MULLET CREEK

Sat 19 Sep 1914.— On Friday afternoon, whilst Mr. A.G Hadba was driving to Dapto, and when crossing Mullet Creek, the sulky in which he was travelling was overturned; and Mr. Hadba and a youth that was with him were thrown into the creek. The boy managed to reach the bank safely, but Mr Hadba was drowned, the body not being recovered until Sunday afternoon. The was held yesterday afternoon, the remains being interred in the local cemetery.

A Magisterial inquiry concerning the death of Asaph George Hadba was conducted by the Coroner (Mr. A. Gates) yesterday afternoon. Laura Blanche Stapleton, deposed she was a married woman, and acted as manageress and nurse for deceased. She had acted in that capacity for over three years; in Sydney and Wollongong. On Friday last, she received a telephone message from Mrs Tansey asking the deceased to go out and see her husband at Dapto. Deceased practised medicine, although he was not a registered medical practitioner.

It was about 1.30 when the message was received. Deceased left in the sulky about 2.30 p.m with the intention of going to Dapto. He was accompanied by a boy named John Haynes. Deceased was perfectly sober when he left home, and he was a man of temperate habits. On the same afternoon witness received a telephone message informing her that deceased had been drowned in Mullet Creek.

In consequence of a further telephone message, witness went to Brownsville on Sunday afternoon, where she saw the body of Asaph George Hadba. Deceased also carried on the business of a produce merchant. Deceased was 42 years of age last January, and a native of Syria. Witness did not think deceased was a married man. He had a sister in Tasmania, and his mother lives in Syria. Outside of the business, deceased had no property. He had money in the bank. Did not think he left a will.

John Haynes, employed by deceased as a carter, stated that he had been working for deceased for about six weeks. On Friday last left home with deceased at about 2.30 p.m. to go to Dapto. They went in a sulky and witness drove the pony. When they got to Mullet Creek they went to drive through the water at the crossing with the intention of giving the pony a drink. The creek was running very strong at the time owing to heavy rain, and when they got near the centre of the creek, the pony was carried off its feet and turned round.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 12:51:22 AM »
The sulky swept into deep water and overturned, both witness and deceased were thrown into the water. Did not remember again seeing the pony. Witness was swept for a short distance by the flood waters towards a tree, which he caught branches and drew himself up on to the bank. Witness saw deceased when he got out of the water. Deceased called out to witness to 'sing out for help.'

Constable White, of Dapto, stated that on Friday afternoon last, he was riding along the Main South Coast road at Brownsville, and within a few hundred yards of Mullet Creek, when he heard someone 'cooee-ing' in the direction of the creek. Raced down to the crossing, where he saw the lad (John Haynes) standing on the bank of the creek. Asked Haynes 'what is the matter.'

Haynes replied 'The doctor is drowning, save him.'

Asked him 'what doctor,' and he said, 'Hadba.' Went on to the bridge, and saw a man in the centre of the stream about fifty yards from the bridge. The man throw his hands up and immediately disappeared. A search for the body was continued that night and again on Saturday and Sunday, but it was not recovered until Sunday afternoon.

Constable Archer, of Albion Park, whilst dragging pulled the body out of the water. The body was afterwards taken to the Brownsville Hotel. Below where witness last saw deceased in the water found latter's hat and pipe. There was only one small scar on deceased's face, that appeared to have been done by the grappling irons. On Saturday witness recovered a creamy pony attached to the sulky from the water about 30 yards below the crossing. The horse and sulky was the property of deceased.

On Friday there was 5 feet of water running over the crossing where deceased attempted to cross, and it was running rapidly. It would be impossible to get a sulky across the stream. The swollen state of the creek was due to heavy rain the previous night. A finding of accidental death from drowning was returned.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 12:54:16 AM »
BODY FOUND IN MULLET CREEK

WOLLONGONG, Fri 4 Mar 1932.— On Saturday, the Deputy Corner, Mr James Kirby J.P. conducted a Magisterial Inquiry concerning the body of a man found floating in Mullet Creek on January 19th.

James Williams, a labourer, residing at Lake Illawarra Hotel, deposed:

On 19th January I was at the Lake Illawarra Hotel, Brownsville and I saw an elderly man get out of the Dapto bus, which came from Wollongong. He walked into the bar of the hotel. He was carrying a sugar bag, small attache case and walking stick; identified the walking stick produced as the one the man was carrying; the man asked the licensee's wife where he could do some fishing; she directed him to go to Mullet Creek.

The man left and went in the direction of Mullet Creek; I saw him again about 1 p.m when he returned to the hotel and asked for the loan of a billy can so that he could make some tea. Again about 4p.m. I saw him walking across the paddock towards the hotel carrying the billy. On January 29th, I went to Mullet Creek in consequence of something I was told and I saw the body of a man floating in the water and I recognised it as the body of the man I had previously seen at the Brownsville Hotel on the 19th. inst. The walking stick, sugar bag and attache case were on the bank close to where the body was found.

Norman Edward Clarke, a clipper, residing at Brownsville, deposed:

On Friday, January 29th, I was shooting rabbits on the banks of Mullet Creek and saw the body of a man floating in the water face downwards; I reported the matter to the police.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 12:55:57 AM »
Constable Arnold, of Dapto, deposed:

On January 29th, about 6 p.m, I went to Mullet Creek and had the body of the man removed from the water; it was very decomposed and the features were unrecognisable: the body appeared to have been in the water for some days; on the bank of the creek near where the body was; found there was no marks or nothing to indicate that a struggle had taken place; an attache case, sugar bag and walking stick were found on the bank near where the body was found.

In the attache case two addressed envelopes, addressed to Mrs Howarth, 67 Shaftesbury Road, Burwood, were found, also a miner's right in the name of James Howarth, Botany; in consequence of this information, I had inquires made by the Burwood police and received information from Mrs Elizabeth Howarth that her husband James Howarth, 64 years of age, a native of Lanchasliire, England, was her husband and from the description given she was quite sure that the deceased was her husband.

Mrs Howarth is an invalid and is unable to attend the Court. She identified the articles in the attache case as the property of her husband; from the appearance of the bank of the Creek, I would say that the deceased whilst attending to a fishing line found near the edge of the bank, had fallen into the Creek; the water was about ten feet deep and a man of his age would have no chance of getting out again.

His Worship found that the deceased James Howarth, died about January 19th from drowning, probably accidental.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 12:59:55 AM »
We head back near the former hotel where the death of Mr James McCarron, a 60-year old resident of Jerramatta street, Dapto. On the 30th January 1940, he was riding his bicycle near Brownsville Hotel just before 8 o'clock on Tuesday morning when the cycle came into collision with a car driven by Mr. R. E. Young, of Manly.

He sustained extensive head injuries and also a badly fractured right thigh. The Illawarra District Ambulance conveyed the injured man to Wollongong District Hospital where he died shortly after admission. The late Mr McCarron was a shiftman employed at Wongawilli Colliery. Prior to that he had engaged in farming in the district.

At the time of his death he was assisting in a search for two little girls who had strayed from the Dapto Convent. Much sympathy is being extended to the widow and son and daughter who survive.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 01:01:15 AM »
300 metres south of the former hotel on Prince Edward Dr is St Luke’s church and cemetery, well known to be haunted. However, next door is the Elisnor Motor Lodge, also haunted.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 01:10:40 AM »
Elsinore Motor Lodge is located on the corner of Prince Edward Dr and Kanahooka Rd. If by chance you stay the night, I suggest booking a room on the northern side of the building. The only thing separating the graveyard and the bed is the brick wall of your room.

Here’s Yvette Jackson’s experience at the Elsinore Motor Lodge.

I had the scariest moment of my entire life last night while I was hanging out with some friends in their hotel room at the Elsinor motor lodge in Brownsville at around 2:30-3:00 this morning. I've always believed in the paranormal, apparitions, hauntings and other spooky things. However I was not ready for this. The lights throughout the room had been flickering for no reason every time my friend and I were talking about supernatural/paranormal/spiritual topics which we thought was a bit odd.

To be continued…..

Offline Headless2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 01:14:22 AM »
I was sitting on the edge of the bed facing the wall when I heard what we first thought was a cat wailing over the top of everyone talking. I tried to get everyone to be quiet for a minute so I could hear it better, it sounded like it had come from the other side of the wall that I was sitting in front of. I realised that it wasn't a cat but sounded like a woman wailing and moaning in agony. (I was with my best friend, my fiancee and two other mates).

I went to bring my phone up from my lap and my hand was stopped by an odd, cold, icy force. It looked like an almost invisible arm had reached out from the wall and tried to grab my hand. The apparition (sort of looked similar to how a mirage or a gas leak would distort an object in front if you but a bit more vivid) in the shape of a person continued to emerge from the wall that was a few feet in front of me.

To be continued…..

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy